Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
So to put that in perspective, in Downtown Jersey City and in Hoboken, you'll be hard pressed to find a one bedroom under $1,400 or so. A 2 bedroom would be way more expensive than what you were paying in Crown Heights.

Rents vary greatly by neighborhood. What are you paying in JC Heights? I cannot imagine a 2 bedroom would be much less than $1,600.
I'm paying $1177/month in a two family house with a front and back yard.

My increase was only $77 for a new lease.

Guess I lucked up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Let's be serious, much of Queens and most of the Bronx is cheaper than anything in Jersey City.

This is not true, and if by chance it is do you have anything to back it up? Im not talking your downtown bubble because yes that is waaay over priced ,I mean JC as a whole.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Long Island City, Astoria, Jamaica Estates etc etc , Riverdale Bronx are all on par with Downtown JC. As for the rest of JC and those two other boros the prices are similar.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM

334 posts, read 731,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Scottiemobes - You mentioned two recent cases about incidents involving people from NYC. What does this have to do with the overall condition of most NJ communities? Do you think that such incidents may never have occurred in the 70's or 80's? Secondly, what other evidence do you have that crime in on the rise and quality of life is down? Here in Bergen County, where I have lived my entire life, most towns seem to be quite stable. If anything, the cost of a home in Bergen County has gone through the roof, indicating that Bergen County is being gentrified too and not over run by the people you fear from NYC. I still see no evidence of a decline in the quality of life or a dramatic increase in crime in the past 20 years in this county. Perhaps, other towns may be changing much more rapidly, but you can not say that is true for all of northern NJ.
I agree. Actually, the people from NYC drove up the home prices in places like Bergen, Passaic, and Essex counties during the housing boom when they were priced out of living there, but could afford to get into bidding wars here because it was still less expensive. This, in turn, forced migration of New Yorkers and people from North Jersey to migrate to eastern Pennsylvania. My mom moved to eastern PA in 1998 and brought a townhouse in a nice development for like 80,000. It costs more than double to buy there now I think. In live in Western Essex county and I would say 50% of the neighbors on my street are transplants from NYC.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Long Island City, Astoria, Jamaica Estates etc etc , Riverdale Bronx are all on par with Downtown JC. As for the rest of JC and those two other boros the prices are similar.
Yes, the prices are overall comparable. I was correcting cocoaeve, who made the blanket statement that "NJ is cheaper than NY". As a fact, the opposite is true.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 AM

4,419 posts, read 5,152,830 times
North Jersey? Poor Ny'ers can't afford to live there. Ny'ers are going to the following places;
Upstate NY
NEPA, Lehigh Valley, Central PA, Altoona
Delaware
Maryland
Georgia
Florida
Old Connecticut Post-Industrial Cities

Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
From someone who's probably going to move out of state because of housing costs, it's not the scummy NYers who come here that are the problem. It's the ones that come here and are more than willing to spend $400-$500k on a 40 year old 3br cape that are the real problem.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,247,690 times
I'm not really sure why this thread was started in the first place, let alone revived. This is nothing new. It has been going on my entire lifetime, and long before I was born.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
The recent gentrification of NYC is having a catastrophic effect on the quality of life in Northern NJ. For starters, we have more traffic than ever which is testing our infrastructure and pushing capacity to the brink. We have what were once considered nice areas overrun with crime. It's only getting worse. Almost every news article indicates the perps are from NYC. I've seen no evidence of this improving. The middle class neighborhoods aren't the only ones suffering. People will say crime is everywhere which is true. However, it should be noted that when an area gentrifies adjacent areas inherit many quality of life issues. I'm not writing this to stir the pot or be political. Maybe I'm pointing out the obvious, but North Jersey is NOT what it was 10 years ago.
OP do you realize people have been emigrating from NY to NJ since the early 17th century???? Get with the program already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey