U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:56 AM

145 posts, read 784,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawk View Post
If you know of someone selling a house or condo in Highlands ,NJ Monmouth County please let me know. Prefer something with a water view. Thanks a bunch.
If you are intested in Sea Bright {next town over-beach], you can PM me.
I have a condo there, that I will be either renting or selling shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 605 times
Default Highlands, NJ...I LIKE IT!!

It's interesting, but in 1989 I heard the same thing about Jersey City, where my husband and I first settled in a dumpy little area called Paulus Hook because we couldn't afford (just as dumpy) Hoboken or dumpy but lots of new construction Carol Gardens, Park Slope, etc. Our cozy and historical two bedroom condo is now in the heart of the Gold Coast (downtown Jersey City)- a better commute to NYC than living in NYC or any of its Boroughs

So, two years back we saw a depressed little town with a Condo complex where every Condo had a Bay View. There were lovely neighbors who had been there for decades and newcomers who boat, nature walk, bicycle, jet ski and kayak. We have never been rich people, but I always wanted a place by the shore with a water view. It's quiet and we are not kids anymore. So the mix of families, young couples, retirees is refreshingly friendly, low key and safe- Plus Bahrs Restaurant at the end of town is fantastic.

Bay beats Ocean! Ocean front property is expensive and the salt and sun destroy siding, roofing, wood and sealants. However, The Raritan Bay front is significantly different. The air is more fresh than salt and the storms don't batter us. We are by buffered by Sandy Hook, a National Beach Park, we see from our beach.

I found this little Condo right on the Bay in The Bayview Condos and my husband I not only love it for weekends, summers and parties, but we are convinced this will be our second Gold Coast in the next ten years. This town, Highlands has some lovely expensive homes on the hill, some soon to be lovely cottages by the Bay and a mix of small Condo and Apartment complexes that are no higher than four stories. Please note how important no higher than four stories IS. This way, the the sun, fresh water bay (infused with high tide Ocean salt) and breeze rustling the trees (that are thick on the hills behind town) mix together into the a uniquely fragrant night air AND you can see a whole sky of stars on the Governor's Walkway at the North end of town where you can wind your way on a pristine trail around the bay and walk a mile or two to Atlantic Highlands (really lovely!)

Our Condo is not for sale, but will be at what I predict to be two to three times its purchase price in ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or