U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM

975 posts, read 3,379,883 times

Advertisements

only if your going there to buy drugs or do something else illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
If you are an outsider(not a local)-you are much more likely to be a crime victim in this community. No matter how streetwise you think you are. Common sense always a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:48 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,415,404 times
You really can't assume that folks know why you're there. Location and time of day makes a difference.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,976,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
My friend and I went to look at foreclosure homes in Irvington a few years ago. No one bothered us and we never felt uncomfortable walking around. You will be fine.
So becuase you felt fine everyone will be "fine" in Irvington. Please.

East Orange and Irvington are dumps. They are full of high crime areas. Same goes for Newark.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 PM

4,084 posts, read 7,908,164 times
We had a family business in West Ornage then we moved into a larger building in EO on main ave near the old Rickles/Wendy's and we had to build an indoor loading dock/ parking area for our employees who would come out at lunch or the end of the day and find their cars robbed clean and sometimes gone completely. We bricked every window except the front ones and there we installed bullet proof lexan and armor glass front doors with steel roll downs......It sucked there and as soon as we could get out we moved down to Old Bridge...

Honestly there was a stabbing once a week out front and countless gun shots.......they even tried to shot the windows out at night once.

IMHO opinion there are areas that you could be of some good in but I doubt that EO is it, no one but the people that live there made it the way it is today, they have no one but themselves to blame for it being so bad.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:48 PM

To really know- you have to look at individual neighborhoods in the town. You have to talk to people who live there if you are considering buying something. For someone to say they walked around last month and all was fine? How is that helpful?

People who are not certain about an area would rent before buying. That is common sense. If this is actually sincere- that would be a given.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:34 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,521,923 times
I've been in East Orange many times, at the Brick Church Station, where I would walk alone to a warehouse I was working with (and I was a gal in my mid 20s then, alone). I also went to a nice bath supply store there. I think I got White Castle burgers there in my car another time. I've been in the downtown, stopping asking for directions because I was totally lost and trying to get to Montclair.

I've had friends who lived there, and who still live there. There are some incredibly lovely neighborhoods in East Orange and with some lousy ones that totally freak me out.

I am sad that people are racist and make these kinds of comments about MLK Blvds, and suggesting that people volunteer in safer places (read "Less Black??). If I were a resident of East Orange and reading this thread I'd be upset and hurt.

FxMom is incredibly gracious and patient. Your son is lucky to have a mom like you.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM

Most residents of E Orange are way thicker skinned than that.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,521,923 times
I can understand why.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,593 times
Resurrecting this thread - has EO improved?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 2,281 times
What's up with the fear-mongering? I have stood at bus stops in East Orange, taken the New Jersey Transit train from the East Orange Brick Station. Nothing happened to me. Nothing. I saw people going to work, old folks carrying groceries. A friend moved a few years ago from Maplewood to a 1940s high rise in East Orange. She remodeled and loves it--the nearby park, the easy commute to Newark, and the highway and mass transit access. East Orange, as well as all of the inner ring suburbs on the New Jersey Transit lines, are experiencing a transformation. Working professionals and millennials are recognizing the value and convenience of walkable, transit-oriented communities. Newark, Bloomfield, East Orange, and Orange are becoming communities of choice, not just communities of the last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or