U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 PM

52 posts, read 177,165 times

Advertisements

OK, i know I've posted only a million times, but we're going crazy trying to figure out where we'd be the happiest. We've booked our tickets to come up there next week and actually physically look, but since we'll only have 2 days we want to make the best of it.
Our biggest concern is the commute...we want to be as close to JC (exchange place) as possible, but still want to feel "safe" with our two young daughters, one who will start Kindergarten in Sept '09. My husband would prefer a house, I am more willing to accept a townhouse, as long as we have a small yard for the girls and dog.
My question- should we bite the bullet and stay in suburbia and have my husband commute 1-2hours one way or completely change our lives to city dwellers to have the closeness? I really don't want my girls in low-income schools when we'll be in the 150-200K range as far as salary.
HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,874,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kykatsmom View Post
OK, i know I've posted only a million times, but we're going crazy trying to figure out where we'd be the happiest. We've booked our tickets to come up there next week and actually physically look, but since we'll only have 2 days we want to make the best of it.
Our biggest concern is the commute...we want to be as close to JC (exchange place) as possible, but still want to feel "safe" with our two young daughters, one who will start Kindergarten in Sept '09. My husband would prefer a house, I am more willing to accept a townhouse, as long as we have a small yard for the girls and dog.
My question- should we bite the bullet and stay in suburbia and have my husband commute 1-2hours one way or completely change our lives to city dwellers to have the closeness? I really don't want my girls in low-income schools when we'll be in the 150-200K range as far as salary.
HELP!!
I would check out a few of the towns near the northeast corridor or raritan valley train lines .You have a lot of nice towns near those lines and your husbands commute could still be under 1 hour

Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,132,421 times
You DO NOT want to live in Jersey City if you plan on using public schools. Enough said.

As far keeping your husband's commute reasonable, you can go into Woodbridge or Edison, both of which have good schools, and he can take a 25 minute train ride to Newark, switch to the PATH and take a 15 minute ride to Exchange Place. That's hardly a horrible commute, especially by NJ standards.

Bob

Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 14,344 times
the express train to manhattan from metropark in iselin is only 25 minutes.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:38 PM

37 posts, read 321,692 times
Hi there,

This is something we've been struggling with, as we now live in Hoboken. Do we try to stay a few more years or move to the suburbs...the never ending question. Here's what I've figured out. Whether in Hoboken, JC, or nearby suburbs, we've found that my husband really won't be home that much earlier to spend more time with the family. For example, unless he leaves early from work, say around 5:30pm (which is really early for his industry), he's only going to have 30 minutes at home before my daughter goes to bed when living closer. Unfortunately, in the suburbs, he'll probably lose that 30 minutes altogether. In addition, I've found that the commute from some of the suburbs is not that bad. My husband works in lower Manhattan, and the shortest commutes we've found so far are from Cranford, Westfield, and Metuchen (all fairly decent public schools). The commute door-to-door (meaning leave house, get to train, wait for train, take train, change trains, etc.) would be about 1 hr 15 min., which I know sounds long but is pretty good for NJ standards. So for your husband, you could knock off probably 30 minutes from that, if he works at Exchange Place. Forty-five min. for a suburban commute is not bad!!!!

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or