U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM

12,922 posts, read 19,803,871 times

Advertisements

The only bone I ever broke happened at Action Park. I stubbed my pinkie toe on a rock.

The Tarzan swing was the site of my scariest moment as a parent. It didn't have an age requirement, just a height restriction. My 7 yr old begged to try it, and the attendant assured me he would be fine. Nobody told him when to let go of the swing though, and I watched him head back to crash into the bridge. I was so frightened I couldn't even scream. Fortunately, many others on line did that for me. A huge "let go!" was yelled by the crowd, and he did, just in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,233,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The only bone I ever broke happened at Action Park. I stubbed my pinkie toe on a rock.

The Tarzan swing was the site of my scariest moment as a parent. It didn't have an age requirement, just a height restriction. My 7 yr old begged to try it, and the attendant assured me he would be fine. Nobody told him when to let go of the swing though, and I watched him head back to crash into the bridge. I was so frightened I couldn't even scream. Fortunately, many others on line did that for me. A huge "let go!" was yelled by the crowd, and he did, just in time.
Totally sounds like a Action Park moment.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,100,865 times
Man, what memories. As kids, we went there every single summer. It was so much cooler than Great Adventure ... it was all rocky and mountainous. There were lakes that seemed like real lakes, with waterfalls. It was easily the most fun day of the year...well, maybe after Christmas.

We always wondered why that looping slide was never open!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:34 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,126,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Man, what memories. As kids, we went there every single summer. It was so much cooler than Great Adventure ... it was all rocky and mountainous. There were lakes that seemed like real lakes, with waterfalls. It was easily the most fun day of the year...well, maybe after Christmas.

We always wondered why that looping slide was never open!
Scroll down to Looping Water Slide: Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,953,572 times
LMAO! Check out this article and what's #1:

Dangerous Carnival Rides, Roller Coasters and Attractions - Scariest Theme Park Rides - Popular Mechanics

Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,692,409 times
OK, my experience:

The Alpine Slide was DA BOMB!!! Teh trick was, go as SLOW as possible to the check flag to let whoever was in front of you get as far in front of you as possible. THEN you lean forward (lower your center of gravity) and floor it.

The problem was mainly with older guys (more shoulder weight) who would brake on the curve (lose your centripital force keeping you there).

The biggest bumme was being caught behind a slowpoke at the end. Not making it to the end and having to carry that 40 pound sled was a bummer.

Oh, the Kamakazi slide was fun to watch. Stupid women going on in Bikinis!! (And looking for them afterward). It was the first of teh wedgie slides.

All the river rafting was great! It is handy to build slides down the side of a mountain!!!

The Cannonball was a bit scary, but fun, as well as the tarzan swing, but they had to have gotten their water from snow-melt! That water was FREEZING!!!!

The loop-d-loop was interesting, but shut down really fast after a fat-butt got STUCK at the top of the loop. Major bummer.

Now, there was also MOTOR LAND on the other side of the road. The ONLY motor park that had FULL SIZE race tracks for everything from tot-cars to formula 1 racers! The speedboats were a blast too! And the TANKS!!! (although they were kind of hot......).

Now with out litegeous society, they are pretty much waiver-city and had to close a lot of the rides I loved as a kid.

Maybe that is for the better, being that I have gotten bigger, I might not survive the Alpine Slide!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM

12,922 posts, read 19,803,871 times
Two out the five most dangerous rides rated were at Action Park? Awesome.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,126,452 times
I miss Great Adventure's Haunted House. Unfortunately it caught fire and people died.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,086,489 times
My son works the snow tubes in the winter at "Creek" as the kids call it now, they also call it Cripple Creek.......as much fun as it can be there are so many that come and have no idea what they are doing and get seriously injured, snow boarding resulted in alot of major injuries.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 PM

148 posts, read 354,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
My son works the snow tubes in the winter at "Creek" as the kids call it now, they also call it Cripple Creek.......as much fun as it can be there are so many that come and have no idea what they are doing and get seriously injured, snow boarding resulted in alot of major injuries.
I took my son to the snow tube ride for Cub Scouts, and the only thing that was killing me was the walk back up to the top... that automated walkway kept breaking and I had to hoof it while pulling a tube up the hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey