U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:03 AM

2,003 posts, read 4,467,368 times

Advertisements

Took the kids over to Mountain Creek for the first time. They absolutely loved it and had a blast on all of the water slides and rapid rivers. This is a great location for a city escape as you are deep into the mountains and away from civilization. The air is clean and crisp and the excitement is immense.

This has me reminiscing about the past and how much I loved Action Park, which was of course the same property as Mountain Creek. Action Park was the ultimate thrill seekers paradise. Yes it was called Traction Park, but many of my best memories as a teen occurred there.

Some of the best memories was blasting down the Alpine Slide only to ram some wuss in front of you going 20 MPH all scared and leaning on the brake. A crash on the Alpine Slide resulted in major burns and I have the scars to prove it. A guess in this world completely lacking in personal responsibility Action Park was a bastion of freedom that no other theme park can match.

What set Action Park aside from conventional theme parks was the element of danger. This was a theme park where you controlled all of the various slides, bungee jumps and motor vehicles. The option of pinning the throttle to the wall and going 60MPH down the Alpine Slide was available. If you took the option the result was careening/tumbling out of control down the mountain and many took the option and wound up in first aid, that freedom was yours. The main attraction was also the downfall of Action Park. The rides required common sense and many do not posses common sense and this led to many injuries. With the glut of parasitic lawyers trolling the area Action Park could no longer find insurance and closed.

Mountain Creek is still a great Water Park, however many of the best rides like the Alpine Slide and bungee Jump are a distant memory. We still have the great Colorado river and it is great to share the thrills with the next generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,219,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Took the kids over to Mountain Creek for the first time. They absolutely loved it and had a blast on all of the water slides and rapid rivers. This is a great location for a city escape as you are deep into the mountains and away from civilization. The air is clean and crisp and the excitement is immense.

This has me reminiscing about the past and how much I loved Action Park, which was of course the same property as Mountain Creek. Action Park was the ultimate thrill seekers paradise. Yes it was called Traction Park, but many of my best memories as a teen occurred there.

Some of the best memories was blasting down the Alpine Slide only to ram some wuss in front of you going 20 MPH all scared and leaning on the brake. A crash on the Alpine Slide resulted in major burns and I have the scars to prove it. A guess in this world completely lacking in personal responsibility Action Park was a bastion of freedom that no other theme park can match.

What set Action Park aside from conventional theme parks was the element of danger. This was a theme park where you controlled all of the various slides, bungee jumps and motor vehicles. The option of pinning the throttle to the wall and going 60MPH down the Alpine Slide was available. If you took the option the result was careening/tumbling out of control down the mountain and many took the option and wound up in first aid, that freedom was yours. The main attraction was also the downfall of Action Park. The rides required common sense and many do not posses common sense and this led to many injuries. With the glut of parasitic lawyers trolling the area Action Park could no longer find insurance and closed.

Mountain Creek is still a great Water Park, however many of the best rides like the Alpine Slide and bungee Jump are a distant memory. We still have the great Colorado river and it is great to share the thrills with the next generation.
great post. i loved action park and used to call it "the only water park where you didn't have to put much effort into killing yourself". between the alpine slide (my friend got road rash all up and down his arm on it) and that wave pool - omg. i'm a great swimmer but absolutely no match for the deep end of the wave pool - it was hilarious to watch all the people hanging off the side ladders!

i was there for the last time in 95, i think. they had this ride - think lightning loops in great adventure, but a water slide. it was an enclosed (DARK) loop - you climb up, assume the position (no mats), and pray you make it over! if you didn't, you'd come back down and there was a trap door at the bottom. there was a weight restriction (you had to be at least 150 lbs i think). my 2 friends went on it and they seriously were not right the rest of the day - it messed with their backs, never mind their heads. good times, good times.

you also got a good workout since the park was built on the side of the mountain.

thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM

515 posts, read 2,143,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i was there for the last time in 95, i think. they had this ride - think lightning loops in great adventure, but a water slide. it was an enclosed (DARK) loop - you climb up, assume the position (no mats), and pray you make it over! if you didn't, you'd come back down and there was a trap door at the bottom. there was a weight restriction (you had to be at least 150 lbs i think). my 2 friends went on it and they seriously were not right the rest of the day - it messed with their backs, never mind their heads. good times, good times.
hehe, I remember seeing that thing and wondering how they got the people out who didn't make it! crazy!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,955,518 times
When I was a kid we called it "Accident Park." My parents would let me go to Six Flags and on local fair rides, but Action Park was forbidden.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM

142 posts, read 609,918 times
Action Park was the shiznit! I swear I almost died 50 times there LOL

Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 AM

76 posts, read 412,048 times
WOW! I didn't know that the accidental-death element was so universal! I remember being in a constant state of fear whenever we'd go. I'd always come home badly beaten by something or other. And I remember everyone in my family would approach the ledge of that high cliff to jump off into the water; it would take almost the whole day tiptoeing toward it and backing off before we could muster up the guts to throw ourselves over into the abyss. Terrifying!

Even the food was scary. Once my aunt ordered fries, and they didn't even pay attention to the result. They handed her a basket of fries with an ENORMOUS FRIED TARANTULA on top! (Or was that Dorney Park? They were all so disgusting.)

Old 07-15-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,475 times
I loved the alpine slide and also have the scars to prove it. I just looked up action park to now take my boys and am very disappointed to hear there is no longer an alpine slide. Very disappointing.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM

859 posts, read 2,441,188 times
My brother got injured on the Alpine Slide too... skinned the entire side of his left arm & leg nearly off!

The only thing I never liked about Action Park / Mountain Creek is that it's kinda cold... Not enough sunlight gets through that mountain (too many trees) and the water is not heated. So unless it's a 100 degree day or so, it's pretty chilly!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,365,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ K View Post
WOW! I didn't know that the accidental-death element was so universal! I remember being in a constant state of fear whenever we'd go. I'd always come home badly beaten by something or other. And I remember everyone in my family would approach the ledge of that high cliff to jump off into the water; it would take almost the whole day tiptoeing toward it and backing off before we could muster up the guts to throw ourselves over into the abyss. Terrifying!

Even the food was scary. Once my aunt ordered fries, and they didn't even pay attention to the result. They handed her a basket of fries with an ENORMOUS FRIED TARANTULA on top! (Or was that Dorney Park? They were all so disgusting.)
Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great write up about their accident problems. I miss it.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 PM

1,921 posts, read 3,023,430 times
Best ride in the history of the world. The Old Colorado River at Action Park. Maybe not the scariest but just about the best ride in the history of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey