Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:21 PM

35 posts, read 108,842 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family and I are looking for at least a 3 room single family house with a garage in either Fort Lee, Rutherford, or Hasbrouck Heights. I'm choosing these towns because they are in good school districts (at least a FG or higher). Our budget is 570k max. I also need to be within an hour of NYC midtown and would not want to live in anything older than a 1950s house.

My questions are:

Which town out of the above would you choose? Are there any that meet my criteria that I have not mentioned?

I just saw a house two blocks away from the passaic river (on preble place in Rutherford) and off a service road of route 3 but do you think it will flood?

Does living off a service road lower your real estate value?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM

no advice huh?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,725 times
I don't much about Preble Place I do know the Passaic River tends to flood more north of that point. I have lived in NJ for 35 years and I would say Fort Lee would be your town.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,641,412 times
As long as you are not in a designated flood zone you'll be fine. Being off a service road is a negative. Other than that all the towns you mentioned are fine.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM

162 posts, read 544,771 times
My cousins live in Hasbrouk Heights and everytime we visit all we hear are airplanes, back and fourth. I guess because of Tetoboro?? A few years ago we look into Rutherford and loved it. But at the time there weren't to many houses on the market and when there were a few, it was over 700k. I also like Fort Lee but for me its to conjested. Good Luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 AM

203 posts, read 270,148 times
Default I lived in Rutherford my whole life

I'm close to 50 and in Monmouth Cty now but lived there for close to 30 yrs. I was on Riverside Ave (right on the river). We never had a major flood but the year after we moved, I heard that the area flooded terribly from the Passaic River many times. My parents felt terrible that when the people who bought the home asked them if we had any floods and they said no. We actually hadn't. During a couple of hurricanes, the water came up halfway in the yard but never flooded the basement or anything. We had the river right in our backyard.

I don't know why this happened but just be aware of it. I'd hate to see you get stuck in a flood zone. I'm not sure where Preble Place is (I thought I knew every street in the town!) but I'd do some research. Rutherford was a wonderful town growing up and has been a diamond in the rough. Several years ago it was pricey since it's one of the nicer towns as compared to the surrounding areas. Some great restaurants, nice downtown, etc.

GL in your search. I don't ever check this board but saw your post when I did a general search.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Thank you all!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM

96 posts, read 349,515 times
Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights and then Ft. Lee based upon your criteria.

The schools in Rutherford are pretty darn good and comparable to what you will find in all but the most elite sections of Bergen County.

Preble Place is not a bad street for flooding, but it is a bit close to Route 3 so I am not sure whether that will be an issue for you.

The commute to midtown is fairly easy from Rutherford. You can use NJ Transit bus lines in Rutherford or DeCamp in Lyndhurst.

I am not familiar with the current real estate market in Rutherford, but a couple of the nicer streets are Mountain Way and Highland Cross if I remember correctly.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM

How is airport noise from teterboro in rutherford and hasbrouck heights?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM

357 posts, read 1,023,941 times
The airport noise is better in Rutherford than in Hasbrouck Heights. It is still there but honestly you get used to it. I have lived in the area for many years and it doesn't bother me at all. My parents come visit and my dad ducks for cover thinking the plane will fall on his head.

Flooding is an issues in rutherford close to the passaic river, mostly on river road. If I were you, I would look at houses in all 3 towns (I'm not a ft lee fan) and pick the best house for what you get. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions as I am very familiar with Rutherford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey