Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,865 times

Advertisements

Hey all ...

Looking to rent an apartment in NJ that is affordable 1200 month and under with a fairly easy commute to bklyn, ny @ or around 3am (partner works nights)
more info: I currently live in brooklyn, ny and for all those who know it is getting pricey... because my partner has a pretty solid job in brooklyn we would need to stay close by but besides the hood in nyc the other areas are quite pricey as well. So NJ here we come! i have been to jersey city/ bergen a few times and it wasnt awful considering i lived in the bronx projects at some point but after having two young kids i have become less tolerant. So i guess we are looking for safety and good schools. we are looking to rent until i graduate college and then intend on purchasing. Any advice on where to go? I have read some of the threads and i am gonna say many people arent too fond of nj. I am not looking for high class areas just decent. i want to be able to go to the store w/o getting shot or robbed. Any advice would be helpful... ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscae View Post
Hey all ...

Looking to rent an apartment in NJ that is affordable 1200 month and under with a fairly easy commute to bklyn, ny @ or around 3am (partner works nights)
more info: I currently live in brooklyn, ny and for all those who know it is getting pricey... because my partner has a pretty solid job in brooklyn we would need to stay close by but besides the hood in nyc the other areas are quite pricey as well. So NJ here we come!
NJ is expensive too. Try PA. Commute to Brooklyn is awful, but prices are reasonable.

Quote:
i have been to jersey city/ bergen a few times and it wasnt awful considering i lived in the bronx projects at some point but after having two young kids i have become less tolerant. So i guess we are looking for safety and good schools. we are looking to rent until i graduate college and then intend on purchasing. Any advice on where to go? I have read some of the threads and i am gonna say many people arent too fond of nj. I am not looking for high class areas just decent. i want to be able to go to the store w/o getting shot or robbed. Any advice would be helpful... ty
Commute from Jersey to Brooklyn is awful (Jersey City to Brooklyn is about 1hr) and NJ isn't any cheaper than NY. You're better off looking further east than west -- the problem with going west is that you have to go all the way across manhattan, across the hudson, then some way inland before it so much as starts to get cheaper. By then, you have a really tough commute (a multi-leg mass transit deal, do not even think about driving)

Would suggest looking further East (Queens or Nassau County). If you're somewhere in Long Island, you could be in the 'burbs and still have a reasonable commute.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,064 times
NJ shuts down at night - your wee-hours commute will be really hard. Union City probably has the best combo of affordable apartments and short/frequent commute options.
UC is a very Latino town (many recent immigrants) with a small middle class English-speaking population. On 30/31 St and Bergenline is a nexus of buses into the city and there's gotta be some at 3 am. The town is reasonably safe. The schools, however... check them out carefully. Overall, not too good, but some are better than others. There's a UC school for the gifted located (for some reason) in Weehawken (next town over). Or, if you're willing to pay tuition (I don't know how much), you can send your kids to Weehawken schools, which are better overall.

Walking home yesterday I noticed a couple of For Rent signs on 35 or 36 St between Park and Hudson Aves in UC. That would be a quite handy location, on the border of Weehawken. There are NYC buses right there on Park Ave. as well as the central location in UC noted above. The apartments are in 2- or 3-family homes, not apartment buildings.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM

5,770 posts, read 16,577,499 times
I disagree with most of the above posts, 3 AM is normally a great time to get into work for a commute and unless there is some overnight roadwork, you should be able to sail into to B'klyn.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I disagree with most of the above posts, 3 AM is normally a great time to get into work for a commute and unless there is some overnight roadwork, you should be able to sail into to B'klyn.
If you're talking about driving, yes. I thought the OP was looking for public transit.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscae View Post
Hey all ...

more info: I currently live in brooklyn, ny and for all those who know it is getting pricey... because my partner has a pretty solid job in brooklyn we would need to stay close by but besides the hood in nyc the other areas are quite pricey as well. So NJ here we come! i have been to jersey city/ bergen a few times and it wasnt awful considering i lived in the bronx projects at some point but after having two young kids i have become less tolerant. So i guess we are looking for safety and good schools. we are looking to rent until i graduate college and then intend on purchasing. Any advice on where to go? I have read some of the threads and i am gonna say many people arent too fond of nj. I am not looking for high class areas just decent. i want to be able to go to the store w/o getting shot or robbed. Any advice would be helpful... ty
Where did you gather that info? You mean many people in NY are not fond of NJ? Most people in NJ seem to be very fond of NJ, to be honest.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,749,931 times
Yes elford PA would be an excellent solution! Commuting to Brooklyn from PA, no problem! Actually I heard Ohio is even cheaper, maybe they should look there? <<<<rolls eyes>>>>

OP, I don't think your going to get cheaper than Brooklyn here in Jersey per se but you will get a nicer neighborhood and better schools. I would forget about Jersey City you're not going to be improving your quality of life at all which I'm guessing is the whole point, it may even be a down grade depending on your current neighborhood.

Union City, West NY and North Bergen are a touch better but again the schools are not the greatest. I would suggest Lyndhurst, Rutherford, North Arlington maybe even Belleville. Close to the city, good highway access (especially the first 2) decent to good schools, safe neighborhood and many family friendly activities around town. You'll probably be able to get a 2 bedroom on your budget, three bedrooms is pushing it.

Driving to brooklyn at that time should be NO PROBLEM, I moved from Queens and when I go visit during off hours I can get to Jackson Heights in 25 minutes. Rush hour is a whole other story. I do have a theory though besides rush hour there's the "dinner rush" when everyone is trying to get to Manhattan for dinner 7 to 8pm can be slow and then there's the "club rush" which usually gets you traffic around 11pm, these mini rush hours are usually only a problem during the later part of the week.

Oh and hubby is driving right? There is pretty much NO mass transit into Jersey at 3 am and food shopping and basic living is going to be nonexistent without a car in NJ and 2 kids.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Yes elford PA would be an excellent solution! Commuting to Brooklyn from PA, no problem! Actually I heard Ohio is even cheaper, maybe they should look there? <<<<rolls eyes>>>>

OP, I don't think your going to get cheaper than Brooklyn here in Jersey per se but you will get a nicer neighborhood and better schools. I would forget about Jersey City you're not going to be improving your quality of life at all which I'm guessing is the whole point, it may even be a down grade depending on your current neighborhood.

Union City, West NY and North Bergen are a touch better but again the schools are not the greatest. I would suggest Lyndhurst, Rutherford, North Arlington maybe even Belleville. Close to the city, good highway access (especially the first 2) decent to good schools, safe neighborhood and many family friendly activities around town. You'll probably be able to get a 2 bedroom on your budget, three bedrooms is pushing it.

Driving to brooklyn at that time should be NO PROBLEM, I moved from Queens and when I go visit during off hours I can get to Jackson Heights in 25 minutes. Rush hour is a whole other story. I do have a theory though besides rush hour there's the "dinner rush" when everyone is trying to get to Manhattan for dinner 7 to 8pm can be slow and then there's the "club rush" which usually gets you traffic around 11pm, these mini rush hours are usually only a problem during the later part of the week.

Oh and hubby is driving right? There is pretty much NO mass transit into Jersey at 3 am and food shopping and basic living is going to be nonexistent without a car in NJ and 2 kids.
PATH, like the NYC subway, runs 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
If you're talking about driving, yes. I thought the OP was looking for public transit.
i read the post 3 times and saw nothing about public transport?

OP - how about Bayonne? At 3am, you can get to brooklyn in about 20 minutes. $1200 would fit your budget and Bayonne is pretty safe.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
If you're driving, don't forget to factor in the cost of tolls- you'll be crossing two bridges and/or tunnels to get from NJ to Brooklyn, and you're looking at somewhere around +/- $15/day in tolls (depending on which route you take).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey