Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times

Advertisements

One note, DRBA which used to charge no monthly fees now charges $1.50 a month, but who has the time to switch? I could switch if i wanted to but never get around to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
You have to pay a fee to use EZPass. So you are not saving money, but actually spending more $$. What a rip off system. Once I found out there is a subscription fee just to use this thing, I cancelled it. Also, I did get tickets in the mail even with EZPass. So dont think you wont get anymore tickets. It does not always pick up your transpoder. NJ needs to remove all the tolls completely like every other state has done.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Definitely worth it! I've had it for several years now, and it makes your trips far shorter without having to wait on the toll lines (once you get close enough to go around the traffic that DOESN'T have E-ZPass ).

While it COULD theoretically be used to measure your speed, so far, nobody has tried it ... I don't think they ever will, as people would then leave the unit at home, and all the authorities would need to re-staff the toll plazas. If they wanted to do that, they could also use the license-plate-reading cameras at toll booths to calculate your speed ... no need for E-ZPass to do this.

The units ARE used for various mapping agencies, to judge the speed of overall traffic, so that GPS devices and Google Maps (for instance) can tell you about traffic conditions. This is part of the Inetlligent Transportation Systems that include all the traffic cameras that you see at the tops of the light polls along the highways. But this does NOT use individual - personally identifiable - methods to track speed.

E-ZPass, in MY book, should be mandatory, so that traffic would not need to stop for these tolls. In a lot of locations, E-ZPass holders must still wait in traffic for miles because so many people DON'T have it. But once you get near the toll plaza, it's SO NICE to be able to scoot past all those folks who are going to wait another 20 minutes to pay their toll.

To me ... it's like American Express - I never leave home without it

As to the question about how easy it is to install ... just apply the "velcro" tape to the top of your windshield, behind the rearview mirror, and adhere the unit. Takes about 5 minutes, and doesn't cost anything.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
You have to pay a fee to use EZPass. So you are not saving money, but actually spending more $$. What a rip off system. Once I found out there is a subscription fee just to use this thing, I cancelled it. Also, I did get tickets in the mail even with EZPass. So dont think you wont get anymore tickets. It does not always pick up your transpoder. NJ needs to remove all the tolls completely like every other state has done.
Hmmm the tunnels and GWB are at $8, if I go into city at off peak ( non rush hour) I'm only paying $6 so the $1 a month fee is not a big factor..just not having to wait behind some idiot who had 10 cars in front of him/her and waits till they are at the booth to start fumbling for money is worth the $1 a month service charge

Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Quote:
You have to pay a fee to use EZPass. So you are not saving money, but actually spending more $$. What a rip off system.
I think this depends on where you sourced the unit. I don't pay ANY fees, outside of the tolls. I some areas, they used to take a buck off the amount of the toll (Verrazano Bridge comes to mind here). I don't know if they still honor that discount, though.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
It really is a matter of preference. I personally don't mind spending the small amount monthly in order to have the convenience. It does suck though that they have quickly moved away from giving E-Z Pass users a discount. When the system first deployed not only was there no monthly fee, but they also gave a decent break on each toll. A lot of places have eliminated the discount tolls unless you have a commuter plan with their agency.

I travel on toll roads maybe two or three time a month, but I can guarantee it is worth the $1.50 to have the pass. If you don't usually drive on toll roads I can see the point in not spending the extra money.

As for tickets, you should never get a ticket from E-Z Pass as long as all of your information is updated in their system. The backup check is the license plate number in their database. As long as the account is setup correctly you should never get a ticket as the camera references the license plate and attaches the toll to your account. You can see the times when the system "failed" on your bill as it will show the license plate number instead of your transponder number. Even if you do get a ticket you just check the box that you are an E-Z Pass customer and fill out like three lines of information, send it back and they debit the toll from your account. FWIW I have never gotten a ticket unless my information wasn't updated in the system like after getting a new car.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
With my wife and I both commuting we are paying $50-$60 in tolls every month. Over $200 when she was commuting into NYC. So, what EZPASS does for us is to give us the peace of mind that we never have to worry about the tolls. We don't have to worry about keeping change in the car or even having any money on us, We just breeze through the shortest line we can find. I have linked all of my vehicles (and the license plates) to my account so now it doesn't even matter if we have the transponder in the car. We go through the toll, we get the toll not paid message, they take a pic and once they find the plate on file, they simply charge our account for the toll. Perfect if you ride a motorcycle like I do!!!

I look at the $1/month charge as a convenience fee and its well worth it to me NOT to have to wait in line at the tolls every day. When i go some where that has the express lane where you don't even have to slow down, I love it even more. We even use it at airport parking.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
one thing people are forgetting is sitting in a line of 10 cars to pay a toll not only costs time, but it costs wasted fuel. a $1-$2 fee is easily made up in fuel savings on a couple trips.

additionally, the PA Turnpike is doing a slight discount on tolls for EZ Pass holders vs non-ez pass holders.

additionally, when EZ Pass charges me $30 to my american express card, i get 1.25% cash back. only 38 cents each time they replenish me, but that also helps offset the monthly fee they charge.

i have mine from PATurnpike, so i have to look at switching to NJ if the fee is lower.

absolutely worth it. i'm constantly amazed that there's anyone with a car that doesn't have one.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
i do not pay a monthly fee, so don't take Todd's rantings as gospel.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
like every other state has done
Except for the several states that still have them. If you enjoy sitting in a line waiting to pay the toll, don't get it. Or join the overwhelming majority that have them and sail through the high speed toll areas.

Some states may charge a small service fee but not a fee for the transponders. If that dollar a month really means that mnuch to you, you probably can't afford the car either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey