Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mightyqueen801;15965583]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
A new bridge will cost close to a billion dollars. You're not going to get that just from tolls.
A little green ink and some paper, have them print up a few billion dollar notes,,,,done. Don't bother US for the money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
[quote=captne76;15966009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

A little green ink and some paper, have them print up a few billion dollar notes,,,,done. Don't bother US for the money!
I'll take one of those notes...

Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
[quote=captne76;15966009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Really, either way, we WILL be bothered for the money. Either Federal, State or Local taxes will be levied, or a combination of them. And if you want the GOV to just print up more money, well, the notes you already have will lose their value.

Really can't get something (in this case, new bridges/tunnels) for nothing.

[quote=captne76;15963908]I think people wouldn't mind tolls as much if they went towards rebuilding the facilities more than just paying salaries.[/quote]
Yeah, ALL the people who have government jobs of any kind should work for free, well, no ... give them a slice of white bread and a glass of water every day.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:16 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
[quote=pvs;15973528][quote=captne76;15966009]
Really, either way, we WILL be bothered for the money. Either Federal, State or Local taxes will be levied, or a combination of them. And if you want the GOV to just print up more money, well, the notes you already have will lose their value.

Really can't get something (in this case, new bridges/tunnels) for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I think people wouldn't mind tolls as much if they went towards rebuilding the facilities more than just paying salaries.[/quote]
Yeah, ALL the people who have government jobs of any kind should work for free, well, no ... give them a slice of white bread and a glass of water every day.
That wasn't my quote, actually, but it shows up that way on my post, too.

But to your point, there are other ways of getting a new bridge, especially if said bridge isn't owned by an agency that receives tax revenue. There is issuance of debt and there are public-private partnerships. Yes, one way or another, somebody pays eventually, but then again, it's kind of odd to think one should be entitled to use such facilities for free.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 PM
pvs

@Mightyqueen:
Something has been very screwy with this forum lately. I needed to make changes to my pda/cell phone yesterday, as it would no longer allow me to type any replies.

And today, it seems to be screwing up EVERYONE's attributions.

Oh well ... Hopefully, it'll get fixed soon.

Anyway ... Yeah, I am surprised that some people think they are simply entitled to these things.

And I'm surprised at how many folks think government workers of all kinds should work for minimum wage these days. Once the economy turns around, and private industry is rolling in bucks again, NJ is going to be hard-pressed to keep anyone in government jobs if we keep trampling them. I doubt the agencies we all depend on will run efficiently once you can no longer fill the vacancies with highly competent people.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM
pvs

Default Another reason to get e-zpass if you don't already have it

E-Z Pass users may escape toll hikes as those paying with cash may get slapped by increase

YeeHah! I hope this idea is adopted

Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 PM

59 posts, read 241,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Relax, and take off your tin-foil hat- they're not using EZ-Passes to track speeding- they're simply used to pay tolls. If you're that worried about such conspiracy theories, you'd better throw your cell phone out the window- Big Brother uses the signal to track your whereabouts......
LOL, You beat me to the tin foil hat comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey