Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 AM

7 posts, read 38,797 times

Advertisements

My wife was born and raised in Livingston. We lived there for 7 years. I am catholic. My wife is Jewish.
Although I've moved to Somerset County due to being closer to work, I am still in Livingson twice a month to visit my sister in laws family.

Livingston is even better than ever today . At the football games of my nephew, I have seen noticeable growth of new successful African-American & Latino residents.
In my 7 years of being a homeowner in Livingston, its was an awesome place to live & raise a family.
Top schools, very nice residents, many are successful and highly educated, lots of diversity ( big asian-american presence of Chinese, Koreans, Indians, and also Filipinos)

Snob? What snob? Its all in one's head & personal insecurity. I love it when people ask if a upper middle class or wealthy town is snob. Well I got news for you. 95% of issue like that are YOUR OWN personal issues with lack of confidence, insecurity, and self intimidation.

Anywhere and everywhere you go, you are 10 times likely to notice or be bothered by other people's actions if you let it affect you. Many who worry about this have never lived in a town that has many successful people. So coming from a blue collar or working class town, they immediately feel apprehension or perceived "snobbish" behavior from strangers.

Folks, make up your mind. Do you want to stick within your comfort zone or do you move up the ladder not only financially but mentality. Never forget we are all people. we are all the same. Its the "head games", the story that you tell your mind that gets you all screwed-up.

Yes, are we talking about the " Snob, Uppity" Livingston, NJ ? The same snob wealthy Livingston that gave this Black Man named Barack Hussein Obama a LANDSLIDE victory in 2008 over this wealthy white John McCain ???

Until you work on your personal issues, you will always have issues with towns & other people around you.

The worst part in all this is you past that "insecurity" and "lack of confidence" to your children.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 AM

While over 8,000 parents in Livingston are taking advantage of sending their kids to a very good school system sorrounded by other children of educated & succesful parents, you DENY yourself & your kids that opportunity because you are worried about "Snobbish" behavior.

Folks, if you are waiting for " Acceptance, Approval, and 90% of people embracing you with open arms" you need to seriously attend a "Personal Development" class or boot camp.

Snobs are in every single town. Catholic, Jews, Protestants. Even middle class towns have snobs. That my friend will never change. You have to work on your own personal issues. You only feel that way if you ALLOW anyone to make you feel that way.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 AM

877 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
You and Whoelsebutcharles are looking for a socially acceptable way to slam Jews.
I said nothing about slamming Jews, I'm talking about arrogance in people, plain and simple. I said nothing about Jewish religion.

I have relatives who are Jewish and I generally like most people of Jewish faith that I come into contact with. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I said nothing about slamming Jews, I'm talking about arrogance in people, plain and simple. I said nothing about Jewish religion.

I have relatives who are Jewish and I generally like most people of Jewish faith that I come into contact with. One has nothing to do with the other.
LMAO!

"I have relatives who are evangelical Christian and I generally like most Evangelical Christians I come in contact with."

Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Ummmmm.....my husband is Jewish? My kids will be half Jewish?

I find these forums so freaking amusing. You can't write anything without being accused of a million things. I lived in Cambridge for 7 years and worked in Summit for 3 years. I would much rather live in Cambridge where there social, racial, religious, and economic diversity than a rich, white, upper class town. I grew up in the bubble of Boca Raton. I don't want my kids to grow Up in a bubble as well.
So, pack your **** and move to Cambridge where you'd rather live. Instead of sitting around and bitching about Livingston, do something. You're like the people who complain about the high taxes and cost of living in NJ, but continue to live there- either do something to change your situation, or deal with it- complaining about it here won't help.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So, pack your **** and move to Cambridge where you'd rather live. Instead of sitting around and bitching about Livingston, do something. You're like the people who complain about the high taxes and cost of living in NJ, but continue to live there- either do something to change your situation, or deal with it- complaining about it here won't help.
A big AMEN to that !!!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,939,993 times
I grew up and lived in Livingston for over 25 years.

I am not Jewish. I am not white.

My family is solidly middle-middle class...like, coupon clipping, shopping at Marshalls, eating generic brand cereal, we thought that the Nissan Maxima was the height of luxury cars, middle-middle class.

Growing up, my friends included Jewish kids, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Atheists, Buddhists, Indians, Pakistanis, Italians, Chinese, Koreans, Puerto Ricans, Japanese, Blacks, Irish, Peruvian and kids of mixed heritage. I'm talking about actual, real friends...I'm not just listing random ethnicities here.

My friends' parents ranged in occupation from diplomat and doctors to small business owners and secretaries.

Livingston is not this rich white/Jewish bubble town that people try to make it out to be all the time on this forum. I just moved out of Livingston for various reasons. If anybody wants to complain about Livingston, it's me, but here I am again, defending the town because the stuff you people post sometimes is SO OUT OF WHACK. Or at least an exaggeration stemming from your own personal prejudices and issues with 'wealth' and 'diversity'.

In addition, you don't think there are snobs, bubbles and high taxes in the likes of Millburn, Florham Park, Summit, Morristown, Madison, Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights and New Providence?

You don't think there are snotty, bourgie attitudes in Manhattan and Cambridge?

LOLarious.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:50 PM

877 posts, read 2,826,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LMAO!

"I have relatives who are evangelical Christian and I generally like most Evangelical Christians I come in contact with."
Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM

467 posts, read 1,517,762 times
{In addition, you don't think there are snobs, bubbles and high taxes in the likes of Millburn, Florham Park, Summit, Morristown, Madison, Scotch Plains, Berkeley Heights and New Providence?}

Scotch Plains isn't too bad, but there are certainly snobs in places like Millburn and Summit. Down to earth folks as well, but I have trouble thinking Livingston is more snobby than Millburn.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM

5,766 posts, read 16,494,290 times
Did any of the Jehovah's Witnesses see the accident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey