Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Have you been there?
Where do you sit, Oh in the row boats, got it. Just wear your bullet proof vest and hope they don't cut your head off and then put you in a 55 gallon drum of acid in front of your family. All kidding aside it looks nice but I wouldn't cross the border if the vacation was free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
I am a 4 generation local in a town that used to have the same tourist families come year after year and is now getting a very different crowd. We are dealing with more drunken college students, litter, traffic, etc than we used to and it is not easy to see our town get trashed by people on vacation.

That being said the problem is a small subset of the many "bennys" who come here and treat our homes with as much respect as they treat there own. Its human nature to take the actions of a few and apply to a larger group. Its also a bad habit.

Additionally, I would like to point out that no one in my family works in the city or for a business that caters to the bennys. I would also not miss a single business that does. Please try to keep in mind the idea that ALL of us rely on tourists for our livelihoods is as silly as saying every single person in NYC relies on tourism for theirs.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a 4 generation local in a town that used to have the same tourist families come year after year and is now getting a very different crowd. We are dealing with more drunken college students, litter, traffic, etc than we used to and it is not easy to see our town get trashed by people on vacation.

That being said the problem is a small subset of the many "bennys" who come here and treat our homes with as much respect as they treat there own. Its human nature to take the actions of a few and apply to a larger group. Its also a bad habit...
Agreed. My friends own a house that they rent out over the summer. They let it out to some guys in their twenties from North Jersey. They trashed the house to the point where they are raising the minimum age for people they'll rent to, because they're sick of people utterly trashing the house. I could go on with this rant, but that would be too far off topic.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Very true, my experience is generally LBI, Ocean City and Wildwood. I'm sure the southern shore location are very different from the northern ones in terms of year round living.
Actually, LBI is slowly but surely changing too. The surroundings towns are among the fastest growing in the state. Stafford Twp. is essentially the next Toms River (TR has 125K residents... biggest suburban town in NJ). It's only a matter of time before the people who live in these towns (mostly young families) make their bones and buy a year-round home across the bridge in order to live closer to the beach. Same school district, after all.

The trend of Shore towns becoming year-round towns - as has happened almost completely in Monmouth and northern Ocean counties - is moving southward. Overall, this is good for the local economy as more people = more required businesses/professionals/media = more jobs. Unfortunately, I'd hate to see the fun sucked out of these towns and have all of the bars and boardwalks replaced with upscale condos.

You should come to LBI one day during the week in the midst of the "off-season." Rt. 72 now has a full-on traffic-jam rush hour (there are more stores and shopping on that road than in Paramus at this point, it seems!) and even the Causeway Bridge can get a little jammed around 5-6 p.m. Crazy stuff. "The Shack" is still there to gawk at on the way in.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Actually, LBI is slowly but surely changing too. The surroundings towns are among the fastest growing in the state. Stafford Twp. is essentially the next Toms River (TR has 125K residents... biggest suburban town in NJ). It's only a matter of time before the people who live in these towns (mostly young families) make their bones and buy a year-round home across the bridge in order to live closer to the beach. Same school district, after all.

The trend of Shore towns becoming year-round towns - as has happened almost completely in Monmouth and northern Ocean counties - is moving southward. Overall, this is good for the local economy as more people = more required businesses/professionals/media = more jobs. Unfortunately, I'd hate to see the fun sucked out of these towns and have all of the bars and boardwalks replaced with upscale condos.

You should come to LBI one day during the week in the midst of the "off-season." Rt. 72 now has a full-on traffic-jam rush hour (there are more stores and shopping on that road than in Paramus at this point, it seems!) and even the Causeway Bridge can get a little jammed around 5-6 p.m. Crazy stuff. "The Shack" is still there to gawk at on the way in.
we were concerned if Earl veered a bit west on its way up north, the shack would finally be no more. glad it's still "standing".

Old 09-10-2010, 07:20 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I agree, there are beautiful free beaches from Va Beach on down through NC & SC...........rentals a hell of a lot cheaper too You can keep the Jersey shore imo
We go to Corolla, NC every summer: beach front rental, very nicely decorated with 8 bedrooms, 8.5 baths, decking all over the back of the house, gourmet kitchen, a theater room, pool table, a heated pool, hot tub, private walkway to the beach with a gazebo on top of the dunes to watch the sunset....and it doesn't smell like the Jersey Shore. You can leave your beach chairs, your beach toys for the kiddos, etc. all day long and no one is going to walk away with anything. No attitudes in the grocery store (even when you find out the person who is speaking to you in the produce isle, and so nice, is from Jersey...and yes I live in Jersey).

I'm pretty sure we could rent a stinky (literally) 2 bedroom condo with a combo kitchen/dinette/pull out couch area with 1 bath on the bay side, in Jersey for the same $.

I'll drive 8 hours south to avoid the Jersey Shore crap and the resident attitude.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Actually, LBI is slowly but surely changing too. The surroundings towns are among the fastest growing in the state. Stafford Twp. is essentially the next Toms River (TR has 125K residents... biggest suburban town in NJ).
LBI is getting washed away though. There are too many private residences on the water for anyone to go back there and put the sand back. Almost all of that is moving down to Wildwood. Look at the huge chunk of sand before you get to the water, it's like a mile offshore.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
We go to Corolla, NC every summer: beach front rental, very nicely decorated with 8 bedrooms, 8.5 baths, decking all over the back of the house, gourmet kitchen, a theater room, pool table, a heated pool, hot tub, private walkway to the beach with a gazebo on top of the dunes to watch the sunset....and it doesn't smell like the Jersey Shore. You can leave your beach chairs, your beach toys for the kiddos, etc. all day long and no one is going to walk away with anything. No attitudes in the grocery store (even when you find out the person who is speaking to you in the produce isle, and so nice, is from Jersey...and yes I live in Jersey).

I'm pretty sure we could rent a stinky (literally) 2 bedroom condo with a combo kitchen/dinette/pull out couch area with 1 bath on the bay side, in Jersey for the same $.

I'll drive 8 hours south to avoid the Jersey Shore crap and the resident attitude.
I've been wanting to check out Virginia Beach. I've seen googlmaps street views of it and I'm like wow it looks so clean and beautiful. I tell that to my dad and he's like yeah but the water down there is calm compared to NJ beaches. Is NC the same case or is the water rough down there?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Where do you sit, Oh in the row boats, got it. Just wear your bullet proof vest and hope they don't cut your head off and then put you in a 55 gallon drum of acid in front of your family. All kidding aside it looks nice but I wouldn't cross the border if the vacation was free.
Good we don't need you. Like I said, I spent half my life going to New Jersey
now I know better. I'll be sitting in that beachfront cafe with clams and beer

Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I've been wanting to check out Virginia Beach. I've seen googlmaps street views of it and I'm like wow it looks so clean and beautiful. I tell that to my dad and he's like yeah but the water down there is calm compared to NJ beaches. Is NC the same case or is the water rough down there?
I don't know anything about Virgina Beach, but the beach and ocean-play in OBX is good for body-surfing, skim boarding (whatever it's called), surf-fishing, it just breaks differently than in NJ. And without the stank. And the half-naked chick in a bikini that should never have put that poor bikini on.

I have a friend who would pack up and take his vacation to surf down at Cape Hatteras. He loved it and still does.

It also depends on what type of weather is blowing through - it can get evil- and that's when we tend to see the surfers in the early am...while having our coffee on the deck. Surfers. Red flags and all - they are still out there.

You've got 4-wheel drive? You can rent a house in 4-wheel land. Bigger houses and typically less expensive b/c they cater to a certain group.

And then the dolphins. Not one day will pass without seeing a group of them. The wild horses? Just gorgeous - if you can find them.

You can't beat the serenity and a HUGE lack of "go home...[insert whatever obnoxious tag the intellectual crowd born and bred in the shore towns of Jersey spout and stand behind b/c they OWN the beach in Jersey].

Last edited by Informed Info; 09-10-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey