Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 AM

8 posts, read 35,489 times

Advertisements

yea i like it. so nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Its a myth that everyone is financially dependent on Benny dollars. I nor anyone in my family live directly or indirectly off benny income. And to be perfectly honest, NJ is hugely over populated, if our towns lost benny businesses and the population went down because of it, I am not seeing the downside.

The reality is some people benefit from the bennys in shore towns, while everyone is inconvenienced. That being said, they have every right to come here. Just like locals everywhere have every right to complain about it.
hate to tell you but you're wrong. The inflow of tourist dollars permeates every aspect of the local economy - not the least of which are property taxes and home values.

You know who doesn't have a benny problem? Deal and Asbury Park. For completely opposite reasons.

Think about it...

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM

296 posts, read 638,466 times
went to seaside heights and saw a guy selling benny/michelle(?) go home shirts. i asked him in my best jersey voice if he personally thought that tourists should go away. he said yes and i said then you wont get any of this michelles money. if you dont want me there then you dont need my money! also saw a guy sitting on a bench with his no no parts hanging out. pervert. thought having to pay to use beaches was crazy. for that i'll go elsewhere with my family...sandy hook maybe. i have never paid to use a public beach. florida, the carolinas, virginia, georgia, and alabama do fine without that. maybe jersey should start charging by the pound.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 PM

188 posts, read 414,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
hate to tell you but you're wrong. The inflow of tourist dollars permeates every aspect of the local economy - not the least of which are property taxes and home values.

You know who doesn't have a benny problem? Deal and Asbury Park. For completely opposite reasons.

Think about it...
I am from Ocean Township, the Deal residents are Benny's to us...(If you went to the beaches at Allenhurst and Loch Arbour over the last 20 years, you would notice a difference).

Asbury Park has many out of state license plates (a lot from Pennsylvania), but it seems to be a more mature crowd.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
i feel like every "local" in every beach town probably feels this way to some degree...but only in NJ are people obnoxious enough to publicly celebrate it....

Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 AM

589 posts, read 1,220,784 times
Driving skills? Last time I checked most NJ drivers cannot drive while NYC drivers can lol.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
shore locals are such an obnoxious bunch with a holier than thou attitude. hysterical. EVERYONE (locals and tourists) should buy these stickers then noone will know WTF is who!

Many of those shore "locals" just moved down from Staten Island 3 years ago. I was born in Pt Pleasant and I grew up in Pt Pleasant Beach it was always funny to me how the kids whose parents or grandparents owned a vacation house in town considered themselves locals. You arent local unless you live there all year and go to school... "bennies go home" but where do you go to school "Glen Ridge?"

Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Many of those shore "locals" just moved down from Staten Island 3 years ago. I was born in Pt Pleasant and I grew up in Pt Pleasant Beach it was always funny to me how the kids whose parents or grandparents owned a vacation house in town considered themselves locals. You arent local unless you live there all year and go to school... "bennies go home" but where do you go to school "Glen Ridge?"
So true...look at the Parkway North lanes on the Driscoll on any holiday, backed up as the relatives all try to get home over the OBX.

I'm from north Jersey myself--just moved to Monmouth a little more than a year ago, but I'm not complaining--I am still so happy about being fifteen minutes from the beach rather than 1-1/2 - 2 hours!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So true...look at the Parkway North lanes on the Driscoll on any holiday, backed up as the relatives all try to get home over the OBX.

I'm from north Jersey myself--just moved to Monmouth a little more than a year ago, but I'm not complaining--I am still so happy about being fifteen minutes from the beach rather than 1-1/2 - 2 hours!
HA! The Driscoll bridge is packed every day of the week in the AM going northbound as the "locals" inflitrate "bennieland" for the good paying jobs!!!! LMAO

Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
HA! The Driscoll bridge is packed every day of the week in the AM going northbound as the "locals" inflitrate "bennieland" for the good paying jobs!!!! LMAO
That's true! Which is why I take the TRAIN!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey