Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times

Advertisements

I've never been stuck in a situation like this before, but I'm claiming full responsibility for this. >__< This is what I get for not paying the insurance bill... STUPID.

So yes, my license is temporarily suspended until I find an insurance company that would take me. It's ironic.. Of course, insurance companies will not easily take someone who has a suspended license. For other incidents, that's understandable, but, I just want to go back into insurance! I'm willing to pay my registration, blood, and soul for this...

I have no bad track record, but, I deserve this outcome for such a foolish mistake that lead to this consequence. I just can't wallow in my past error forever.

If any of you guys could offer any advice or suggestions on this, I would be be very appreciated of it. Already went through several insurance companies, and you can obviously guess the outcome with that.. This is like being stuck in a ditch and the rope is being dangled by the MVD. X_x

You want to be back on the legal side of the law but there's this law that's preventing you from going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 03:13 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Not sure what to tell you, I had a coworker friend who forgot to pay his insurance renewal, he got pulled over and wound up losing his "privilege" to drive for a year.

Their are many ins co's just shop around.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Try Car Insurance Comparison | Auto Insurance Quotes | insurance.com They will throw your situation out to tons of insurance companies so you only have to make one call. Its going to cost you a pretty penny but if someone will cover you, they'll find them.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 PM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times
There are companies that take "high risk" for higher premiums. As you state the unfortunate event of a suspended license because of no insurance, puts you in that category.

I'm pretty sure that all states now require at least liability coverage. Therefore there has to be someone who will cover you. Here's a list of Insurance companies in New Jersey. Keep looking and if someone says no, ask if they have a recommendation. Also an independent agent generally have a lot of knowledge and connections.
New Jersey's Basic Auto Insurance Policy

After a full calendar year has gone by, with NO tickets, accidents or claims, start shopping around for better rates and coverage. You say you have pretty good record in your past, in the bigger picture I'd think that should work for you and in the future this will become a minor blip in your past.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Thank you so much for all of your advice, everyone! ^_^ I'll keep trying and if not, waiting out an year while still driving "carefully' will have to be the way to go.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:48 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Why are you suspended? Were you cited as an uninsured drived?

Operation while suspended can get serious if it involves a mva and an injury, regardless of how slight. that will push it into jail time.

No company will touch you while your suspended. As long as you are the vehicle's owner, you're out of luck. when you are restored, be prepared for a rather hefty rate.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM

234 posts, read 939,497 times
In most cases, your best buys come from shopping around and buying on the Internet. Since your case is very unusual, you will probably be better off going to an insurance agent who has an office in or near your town. You can sit down across the desk and explain your situation and answer any questions that he may have. Better to use one who fronts for several companies than one who only represents a single company.

That first year will probably cost you a bundle, but then once you are back in the system you can go back to internet shopping to find the best deal!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Why are you suspended? Were you cited as an uninsured drived?

Operation while suspended can get serious if it involves a mva and an injury, regardless of how slight. that will push it into jail time.

No company will touch you while your suspended. As long as you are the vehicle's owner, you're out of luck. when you are restored, be prepared for a rather hefty rate.
Well, they had to send me a letter notifying that it is suspended until I get an insurance company, pay the fine, and reinstate the insurance.

Hence, I'm not the one driving.

I know not many companies will touch me, but I think there should be a way to get through this. >_< Because, it's ridiculous if I want to make up for this stupid error and everyone (insurance companies) stops trusting me for this becaise it's in their computer systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
In most cases, your best buys come from shopping around and buying on the Internet. Since your case is very unusual, you will probably be better off going to an insurance agent who has an office in or near your town. You can sit down across the desk and explain your situation and answer any questions that he may have. Better to use one who fronts for several companies than one who only represents a single company.

That first year will probably cost you a bundle, but then once you are back in the system you can go back to internet shopping to find the best deal!
Still looking. =__= And yeah, thinking of going to an agent nearby, who would be a bit sympathetic rather than just look me up and put down "nope, sorry. We can't take you."

And to conclude, thanks, you two, for your input. ^__^

(I wish we late payment people could have a bit more flexibility in this situation. >_< *sighs*)

Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Keep in mind that your credit rating is taken into account when setting a rate for insurance - and late/non-payment of insurance is a bad mark on your credit history.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I was even thinking "outside the box" that you could move to another state temporarily, BUT then there's the problem of being suspended in the first place, so nope, not a good idea. Most states won't give you a DL if you are suspended elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: