Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM

35 posts, read 109,177 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

After spending some time looking at places, I think my family and I might buy a newly constructed townhouse in the north end of Secaucus NJ - a block away from Rearview Garden condos. My questions are:

Living so close to the river - will there be a smell emanating from the river on hot days? Also - will my new townhouse be prone to flooding? - I know I have to buy flood insurance and it is a flood zone but I was hoping to get opinions from residents who live near there.

And transportation - It seems I can take the 122 at the cul-de-sac on paterson plank but it only runs during am and pm rush hours.

I have to walk to first and paterson plank for the all day bus service. How reliable are the buses from secaucus to nyc?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
It smells like a ocean / river since your in the Meadowlands. I don't think it floods that bad in Secaucus.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM

Would you recommend buying?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 PM

Yea , although i would check the area out before buying , to get a feel on what its like to live there. I don't know that part of Secaucus , its a good area but i don't know the specifics. The Transportation connection to NYC is solid , there are NJT buses and Jitneys that run every 5-10 mins depending on the service. Then you can take the bus to Secaucus JCT and take the train to the Airport , Ocean , Philly , The Mountains etc. Secaucus is a unique city , great shopping at a reduced sales tax , nice state parks , schools are decent form what i'm told. Its close to the NJ Gold Coast / Manhattan and the Sports Complex.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 AM

From entering different times on njtransit - It seems like the transportation is solid during AM and PM rush hours to and from NYC (6AM-9AM and then from 7-8:30PM in NYC) with the 122 bus) but after those hours or between those hours, njtransit is telling me to walk .7 miles to the nearest bus stop on first and paterson plank....

WHat are jitney buses and where are the stops located? Is there one located neat 1624 paterson plank road in secaucus?

Thanks for your help nexis!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM

The Jitney buses run along route 3 , and into the City. There a private company that fills in the many gaps NJT Buses leave , some ppl don't like them because of the operators driving. But the service is ok , cheap , drivers are mostly polite.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,757 times
I own a condo in riverview gardens that i used to live in and now rent out. Smell is not an issue at all. Its only bad directly next to the pump house down the block on the corner of Plank and Village. Or terrible by the sewage plant on Koelle Blvd. As far as flooding the apartment complex my condo is in has never gotten water. But who knows, if it rains hard enough anythings possible that close to the river. Also bus service to NYC is excellent from there. Right outside your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey