Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
It has nothing to do with Christie. It's administered by the Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders. The county runs it, not the state. For all I care they can get rid of it. I have lived in Ocean County my entire life and have yet to meet anyone who uses it. Everyone has their own car around here. Like I said, I'm guessing it's geared toward the seniors. Maybe it suits their needs just fine?

Really, if you're not 80 years old, you should have a car if you live in Ocean County.
I guess you're saying I'm not welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
DUH!!!Cause the bus system is so FAIL!!! ONLY SENIORS CAN USE IT WITH THE FAIL SCHEDULE IT HAS!!!!!! THE OCEAN RIDE IS SO BAD THERE IS NO CHOICE BUT TO DRIVE!!!!! But if new jersey transit had there buses all over then the Ocean freholders can subsidize New jersey transit like morris county does and that same subsidy for oceanride would be put to better use if used to improve new jersey transit to replace oceanride rtes. That would put NJT buses everywhere!!!! Reducing the need to drive!!! Most ppl use NJT at some point or even commute to NYC there is no reason why they should drive to the bus terminal when if the oceanride rte that is supposed to serve them was replaced by NJT they would either have to transfer at toms river without paying any more on the monthly pass. Or a one seat ride to NYC!!!!!!! Ocean county NEVER GAVE TRANSIT A CHANCE TO THRIVE!!!!!!!!
I agree NJ Transit should just takeover the routes.
It's suprising that relatively commercial areas in Ocean County have little or no local bus service. Like the route 37 and 549 corridors in Toms River. And we cant forget about Ocean Acres which has gotten built up over the years but has hardly any bus service. I think there's even a hospital there, but no bus.
There's a need for more regular local bus service, the only local NJT Bus in Ocean County is the 559, and it actually gets quite crowded.
The 67 runs only every 2 hours or longer.
Ocean is comparable to Suffolk here on LI through Suffolk is more developed. But even out in the more rural areas of the county there is regular bus service from Suffolk Transit. If Ocean County wants to have its own bus network then they need to look at Suffolk Transit as an example. ST currently doesn't run on Sundays which is it's only flaw and it will be solved soon, as the county is planning on service level expansion.
As for those that say "everybody should drive" there's plenty of traffic in Ocean County, Rt.9 and 549 are often backed up with congestion.
I've thought of moving to Toms River but compared to here on the island the local bus transit is really lacking.
I'd be having to do more walking for sure.
Yes much of Ocean County is Pinelands west of the parkway but the Toms River-Seaside area needs more bus service.
-Regular hourly service on Rt.549 from Toms River Bus terminal to NYC
-Hourly service on Route 37 from Holiday Heights to Seaside via TR bus terminal
-something that goes down Fischer Blvd...major commercial strips and no bus service
-maybe some other pinelands bus routes, you know ppl do live down there as well, plus this would allow folks to leave the car at home instead of clogging up roads in the Pinelands

Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I guess you're saying I'm not welcome.
It's not that you're not welcome to these kinds of areas, it's that it's reallllyyyy difficult to live in them without a car.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Default ocean cty FAIL

Well all of which you say can be done easily via extension of buses like 139 to serve lavalette and rte 37 then the new 60 unleash it on 37 then send it to philly via rte 70 all that needs to be done to make bus service better is to KILL OCEANRIDE!!!!!!!!! LEAVE TRANSIT TO NJ TRANSIT PLZ!!!!!!!!! It would literally cost the county little to no extra money to subsidize nj transit buses to cover out the whole cty and replace the disgraceful oceanride. Heck they can do all the things you mentioned with basic extensions of NJT bus lines it is OBVIOUS THAT OCEANRIDE IS A BEAUCRATIC WASTE OF TAXPAYER MONEY!!!!! THEY CAN'T EVEN RUN A PROPER BUS NETWORK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I agree NJ Transit should just takeover the routes.
It's suprising that relatively commercial areas in Ocean County have little or no local bus service. Like the route 37 and 549 corridors in Toms River. And we cant forget about Ocean Acres which has gotten built up over the years but has hardly any bus service. I think there's even a hospital there, but no bus.
There's a need for more regular local bus service, the only local NJT Bus in Ocean County is the 559, and it actually gets quite crowded.
The 67 runs only every 2 hours or longer.
Ocean is comparable to Suffolk here on LI through Suffolk is more developed. But even out in the more rural areas of the county there is regular bus service from Suffolk Transit. If Ocean County wants to have its own bus network then they need to look at Suffolk Transit as an example. ST currently doesn't run on Sundays which is it's only flaw and it will be solved soon, as the county is planning on service level expansion.
As for those that say "everybody should drive" there's plenty of traffic in Ocean County, Rt.9 and 549 are often backed up with congestion.
I've thought of moving to Toms River but compared to here on the island the local bus transit is really lacking.
I'd be having to do more walking for sure.
Yes much of Ocean County is Pinelands west of the parkway but the Toms River-Seaside area needs more bus service.
-Regular hourly service on Rt.549 from Toms River Bus terminal to NYC
-Hourly service on Route 37 from Holiday Heights to Seaside via TR bus terminal
-something that goes down Fischer Blvd...major commercial strips and no bus service
-maybe some other pinelands bus routes, you know ppl do live down there as well, plus this would allow folks to leave the car at home instead of clogging up roads in the Pinelands

Old 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
O and long beach island doesn't have bus service period!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONCE A WEEK DOESN'T COUNT AS BUS SERVICE!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey