Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

76 posts, read 321,290 times

Advertisements

My 4-year-old is currently enrolled in the Teens-n-Tots preschool program at Northern Valley Regional High School in Demarest.

It may be too early to reach a definite conclusion, but I am concerned that I've made the wrong decision. The program is confined to one room and my child doesn't even required to have a folder to take home his work. I guess my concern is that the program functions more as a daycare rather than a pre-school. I want my child to socialize with other children, but I want to see work coming home (i.e. writing practice), not just fingerpaintings. (I love art; I realize it is a valuable means of personal expression, but I want more of a balance between academics and play.)

Do any parents here have their children enrolled in Teens-n-Tots? If so, what is your overall impression? Do they adequately prepare children for kindergarten?

Can anyone recommend other good pre-K programs in the Demarest, Closter or Tenafly areas? Has anyone ever enrolled their child at the Palisades Country Day School in Closter? What about the Demarest Co-op Nursery School?

I appreciate any and all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 AM

Bumping this with the hope someone can give me some suggestions...

Old 11-06-2010, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 8,378 times
I was actually going to look into the teens and tots program. Sounds like it wouldn't be a good fit for me.

My 4 yr old attends jack in the box in tenafly. Great program really working on preparing them for kindergarten. nice small program. We get weekly homework (writing her letter of the week), show and tell, circle time, french, music, cooking lessons, handwriting without tears, with plenty of time for play. they have a closter location in a redone house, but I didn't like the layout.

My almost 2yr old goes to PCDS because she only qualified for the daycare program at Jack in the Box. PCDS has a great program, friends with kids in pre-k are very happy with the work their kids are doing at PCDS.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 AM

Thank you. Actually, I forgot about this thread, and I did end up switching to Palisades Country Day School. I am very glad I did. The mix of play and academics is perfect. It really functions more like a school than a daycare center. Great structure, great teachers...I just love it. My child is in the pre-K program and I think he is being well prepared for kindergarten.

The only downside is that you can't make a left turn into the parking lot...supposedly by Closter police ordinance. The school wants parents to drive down to a nearby development and turn around there to get back onto Herbert and make a right turn. Minor annoyance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: