U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 AM

1,933 posts, read 5,750,094 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

We are originally from Long Island and moved to Vegas 10 years ago, we always wanted to move back to the east coast and now that we have children we are seriously looking into a possible move to Ocean County NJ. Las Vegas is definitely not the place to raise a family, plus all of our family is back east anyway, some in NJ, NY & Pa.

We were wondering if anybody reading this could help us with as much info as possible. We are currently looking into the areas of Jackson, Howell , Toms River and around there. We want to be within a 20-30 min ride of Toms River.

Now we did hear that right now its a huge buyers market in NJ, but in reality do you think we will be able to find a 3-4 bed home with a basement in a clean safe area to raise a family in the 250-310,000 range? And if homes are indeed dropping in price do you this near an end? Or do you see the homes continuing to drop?

All the following info would be great, schools, hospitals, employment, crime areas, tax info, areas to avoid?

Can you send some town names my way that you feel we should consider that are within 30 min's of Toms River?

And Can you please let us know what to expect in property taxes on a 300,000 home? Some have told me as low as $3000 and some said as high as $8000.

I started another thread similar to this but just on Toms River, but we actually could use info on any area that is safe to raise a family within that distance of 30 min's of Toms River.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 10:25 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,571,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hello everybody!

We are originally from Long Island and moved to Vegas 10 years ago, we always wanted to move back to the east coast and now that we have children we are seriously looking into a possible move to Ocean County NJ. Las Vegas is definitely not the place to raise a family, plus all of our family is back east anyway, some in NJ, NY & Pa.

We were wondering if anybody reading this could help us with as much info as possible. We are currently looking into the areas of Jackson, Howell , Toms River and around there. We want to be within a 20-30 min ride of Toms River.

Now we did hear that right now its a huge buyers market in NJ, but in reality do you think we will be able to find a 3-4 bed home with a basement in a clean safe area to raise a family in the 250-310,000 range? And if homes are indeed dropping in price do you this near an end? Or do you see the homes continuing to drop?

All the following info would be great, schools, hospitals, employment, crime areas, tax info, areas to avoid?

Can you send some town names my way that you feel we should consider that are within 30 min's of Toms River?

And Can you please let us know what to expect in property taxes on a 300,000 home? Some have told me as low as $3000 and some said as high as $8000.

I started another thread similar to this but just on Toms River, but we actually could use info on any area that is safe to raise a family within that distance of 30 min's of Toms River.

Thank you
maybe if you go south of toms river to berkely or lacey will you be able to find homes in that low of a price range, try manchester also, taxes are high and would be closer to 8k than 3k. stay away from lakewood and if you find something in howell near that price, there's a reason it is so cheap.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:52 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,653,878 times
Pos,

We too moved from NY (Ozone Park) to Las Vegas in 1998, but left last year because we didn't feel it would be the best environment in which to raise your 7-year old son. Now we're in Florida (north of Tampa), but are beginning to think coming here may have been a mistake. The financial climate here is not the best.

Now we're looking to sell out and go back to NY (doubt if we can afford anything) or NJ. If we go to NJ we're thinking of Howell/Jackson or Brick/Toms River areas. Any advice regarding taxes, schools, etc. would be much appreciated as well. We're in our early 40's, caucasian (Italian), and our son is elementary school (entering 2nd grade in August).

Old 07-01-2007, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 70,563 times
Lacey Township's taxes are notoriously low: $2.50ish per $100 value. My mother pays $2-$3k a year, and she has a double lot, the house, and an apartment on top of one wing of it. Her friend in Dayton who has a modest-looking 4 br and small lot pays 9k or more.

Lacey just got new schools in the past decade: a new middle school and high school. There are three different elementary schools, for what town in the district you live in. Then everyone is combined in the middle school.

The town is growing.. 30K people now, I believe. There is good icecream, a shoprite, lots of pizza and bagels, fast food, and a home depot. However, for the mall and clothes shopping beyond fashion bug, you'll always drive up to Toms River. For chain dining, the closest is Charlie Brown's.

It was a very Italian place when I left -- very white and Roman Catholic, with some people still eating fish on Fridays. That said, I found the students to be a little intolerant. There was little diversity in the school -- few non-whites. Those that were there were given a hard time.

It used to be safe. My mother, until recently, left the door open at night if it was hot. We never locked the house unless we were on vacation. We never locked the car. Various events in the past 5 or so years have changed those behaviors. That said, I believe there were only 2 murders in the past 40 years, and they were murder-suicides cases.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Lacey

Thanks! I sent you a private also.

What zip codes in Lacey should i look up? Im in Nevada and since i'm using websites to look at homes they ask for zip codes at times.

Also drive time how far is Lacey from Toms River?

And with so many people leaving NJ, does everybody see a bright future for Ocean county? Or will it turn to the dumps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitarah View Post
Lacey Township's taxes are notoriously low: $2.50ish per $100 value. My mother pays $2-$3k a year, and she has a double lot, the house, and an apartment on top of one wing of it. Her friend in Dayton who has a modest-looking 4 br and small lot pays 9k or more.

Lacey just got new schools in the past decade: a new middle school and high school. There are three different elementary schools, for what town in the district you live in. Then everyone is combined in the middle school.

The town is growing.. 30K people now, I believe. There is good icecream, a shoprite, lots of pizza and bagels, fast food, and a home depot. However, for the mall and clothes shopping beyond fashion bug, you'll always drive up to Toms River. For chain dining, the closest is Charlie Brown's.

It was a very Italian place when I left -- very white and Roman Catholic, with some people still eating fish on Fridays. That said, I found the students to be a little intolerant. There was little diversity in the school -- few non-whites. Those that were there were given a hard time.

It used to be safe. My mother, until recently, left the door open at night if it was hot. We never locked the house unless we were on vacation. We never locked the car. Various events in the past 5 or so years have changed those behaviors. That said, I believe there were only 2 murders in the past 40 years, and they were murder-suicides cases.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 14,505 times
Hi -
I grew up in TR but left about 10 years ago - my entire family is still there. TR has gotten very expensive (and the locals will say its overcrowded but they should try living in Jersey City!) - new construction in TR starting around in the $500's. You could definitely find homes in your price range that are older but in good areas(silverton, east dover). TR was also known as Dover Township but has recently changed its name to The Township of Toms River. Anyhow, expensive homes are in what used to be "North Dover". I would avoid South Toms River unless you are in the area of the court house/downtown. Jackson used to be a bargain but is no more although, again, you can find homes in your range. Jackson is home to Great Adventure and an outlet mall - not much else but lots of trees (sorry to any Jacksonites! ) You may want to consider Manahawkin (Ocean acres area) - about 30 minutes south of TR. My inlaws live there and there are definitely homes in your range. It's quiet but close to major shopping and the beach (Long Beach Island). Also, Island Heights is a great little town surrounded by Toms River along the river.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 70,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thanks! I sent you a private also.

What zip codes in Lacey should i look up? Im in Nevada and since i'm using websites to look at homes they ask for zip codes at times.

Also drive time how far is Lacey from Toms River?

And with so many people leaving NJ, does everybody see a bright future for Ocean county? Or will it turn to the dumps?
08731 and 08734 are Forked River and Lanoka Harbor, two of the three towns in Lacey. The third is Cedar Creek, which I don't know that well.

I forgot to tell you that the reason the taxes are so low is the Oyster Creek power plant. It's in the township. If you look into it, you'll see some people have issues want it shut down because it's at the end of its life cycle. Some people also attribute cancer to it, but there was a leak of pollutants in Toms River's groundwater by Ciba-Geigy that was probably the real cause. Citizens' Guide to the Ciba-Geigy Public Health Assessment (http://www.state.nj.us/health/news/cibacg4.htm - broken link) I don't want to debate it in this thread.. it can be a sensitive issue for people.. but just know about it. We'll see if I am allowed to post that link.

Driving time depends. If you live with easy access to Lacey Road, it can be 20 minutes. If you live on Rt 9 and need to get on to Lacey Road, it can take longer because both are main roads with lights. It also depends where you are going in Toms River. As I PM'd, I used to drive from the FR library to the Toms River bus station for awhile at 6 AMish and usually got there in < 20 minutes.

I can't speak for Ocean County, but Lacey is getting bigger and I am not sure they have the streets to handle it. The arrival of a Home Depot will cause further congestion by the intersection of Lacey and Rt 9. I was there last weekend, and they have just expanded the road and added another traffic light up by the parkway entrance, so they are definitely working on some of the issues, but I have no idea what the Master Plan is at this point.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:08 PM

111 posts, read 462,946 times
Default Creepy

Quote:
I believe there were only 2 murders in the past 40 years, and they were murder-suicides cases.
Before I moved to PA, we had some roofing done by a local contractor who lived in different part of the development where I lived. A few weeks later the guy's name appears in the newspaper as one of the murder-suicide participants.

Quote:
I can't speak for Ocean County, but Lacey is getting bigger and I am not sure they have the streets to handle it. The arrival of a Home Depot will cause further congestion by the intersection of Lacey and Rt 9. I was there last weekend, and they have just expanded the road and added another traffic light up by the parkway entrance, so they are definitely working on some of the issues, but I have no idea what the Master Plan is at this point.
That's why I don't regret moving away. However, some people might find it better than what they have now and actually appreciate what Lacey has to offer. BTW, there's plans for a Wal Mart just up the road from the Home Depot. I don't think the streets will handle it either.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 PM

111 posts, read 462,946 times
Quote:
08731 and 08734 are Forked River and Lanoka Harbor, two of the three towns in Lacey. The third is Cedar Creek, which I don't know that well.
Actually those are the only two towns/zip codes in Lacey. Cedar Creek is not. That might be a part of Berkeley Township, I'm not sure.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Besides Lacey? Any other nice/safe towns?

Hello! Thanks to all for the replies.

So Lacey sounds crowded, am I right? Then what other areas/towns within a 30-40 drive of Toms River are nice, good area for children, good schools, yet in our range of 250-310,000 for a 3 bed 2 bath home with a basement.

Or are all the newspaper articles, the TV news and Internet wrong when they say people in NJ are leaving in droves to places like Florida , NC and SC? I hear & read all the time that homes listed as high as 370,000 often drop 50-60 grand just to move.

If all that's true then there has to be areas where we can find something.

Or is the market actually doing good? And are homes selling fast at asking price?

Please send as many town names as possible that you would feel comfortable raising a family.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or