U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:08 AM

3 posts, read 15,278 times

Advertisements

Hi Alsmaymax! We are neighbors, I l ive in Fort Myers, just north of you. I used to live in New Jersey, but not since I was a kid and a lot of places change so I probably can't offer any advice. But I wanted say HI since we are neighbors here. I hear ya re. Naples. More money in that town than I've ever seen, too expensive for me!

Cheers!
Lauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmaymax View Post
... We live in Naples and it is way too expensive and way too country.
We are interested in N.J. but not sure where to start our research. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
Family members had a condo in Naples for 15 years and sold because they, frankly, were sick of Naples. And bought it for a country home in Westchester (their full time home is in NYC). Their direct comparisons: property taxes aren't much different, food is MUCH more expensive in the north. Fortunately they don't have to deal with schools any more, but I would agree with the prior posters that you won't find the north much cheaper, if at all, than Naples.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 AM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,337,205 times
Can't help much, but also in FL and moving to NJ (though I'll be northern).

Best of luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:47 AM

1,289 posts, read 5,439,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKasper View Post
Try East Brunswick, Monroe Township in Centrl NJ... 45-50 minutes to the city, good schools
Could not agree more. These areas are within 1 hour from NYC and have a great suburban feel with EXCELLENT schools.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 PM

55 posts, read 187,248 times
We live in edgewater and are currently relocating because of my husbands job but I just love it here!!There is the library, community pool, shopping, movies, parks, everything is so close by and fun!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:46 PM

277 posts, read 257,676 times
Quote:
I'm married, we have a two year old child. We live in Naples and it is way too expensive and way too country.
We are interested in N.J. but not sure where to start our research.
I would like something not too country, small town, close to the bigger cities, and a great place to raise a family.
(For us close means 2 to 3 hours away from the city)
Currently we drive about 1 hour to work one way, so this is what we are used to. We will visit some towns in N.J. in about 2 weeks in hopes of finding a place to call "home". Please help us by giving us some names of towns that we are able to research.
Thank you, Me
The only area that I can think that living would be a little cheaper than Naples would be South Ocean or Northern Atlantic Counties in New Jersey. I lived in those general vicinities and still almost lost my shirt while being there.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 AM

9 posts, read 19,028 times
Hi:

Well my family and I moved to Orlando about 9 months ago from NJ aqnd will be moving back to NJ in November. Florida is great for vacation, and cost of living may be a bit less, but that is increasing. The major fact is the salaries here are absolutely too low! Besides that the crime rate is getting worse and worse. I 'll be back on vacation, but looking to move back to North Jersey (West ORange/South Orange area.)

Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,869,418 times
Quote:
I'm married, we have a two year old child. We live in Naples and it is way too expensive and way too country.
We are interested in N.J. but not sure where to start our research.
I would like something not too country, small town, close to the bigger cities, and a great place to raise a family.
(For us close means 2 to 3 hours away from the city)
Currently we drive about 1 hour to work one way, so this is what we are used to. We will visit some towns in N.J. in about 2 weeks in hopes of finding a place to call "home". Please help us by giving us some names of towns that we are able to research.
Thank you, Me
Also check out Rahway,Clark,Cranford they all have nice area's
that will give you a little of that country feel (for ths brooklyn boy anyway)
and they are all under an hour to nyc
Do a google search on each to learn more

Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 PM

37 posts, read 149,675 times
I would try to check out the Tuckerton, Little Egg Harbor area. The prices are still reasonable around there...3br/2 bath for 200k or maybe a little more...that's for an OLDER home for sure...maybe a small ranch. It's a couple of hours drive to NYC but close to the water and it's still very quaint. Barnegat is also a great area. Anything in Southern Ocean Country and Atlantic County would be good areas to check out. There are some not so great communities but for the most part it's the country small town vibe you want. I live in Brick which is densly populated but not a city city...it's more of an busy touristy town...If you check out the Garden State Parkway...Tuckerton is exit 58, Brick is 90. I can be in NYC within an hour from my place and to Tuckerton in about 30 minutes. Brick is a very safe town...great schools and minutes from the beach..

Best of luck

Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM

765 posts, read 2,331,070 times
I moved to Orlando three years ago and have not been able to get a job in my field (human resources/recruiting since I have been down here. I plan to come up there in October to look for a job so I can move back. The only problem is now, because I have been out of my field for so long, due to lack of work, my experience has aged and is considered old. The one good thing out of all this is it caused me to return to college. Now I am studying to be a paralegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or