Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,647 times

Advertisements

I'm married, we have a two year old child. We live in Naples and it is way too expensive and way too country.
We are interested in N.J. but not sure where to start our research.
I would like something not too country, small town, close to the bigger cities, and a great place to raise a family.
(For us close means 2 to 3 hours away from the city)
Currently we drive about 1 hour to work one way, so this is what we are used to. We will visit some towns in N.J. in about 2 weeks in hopes of finding a place to call "home". Please help us by giving us some names of towns that we are able to research.
Thank you, Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:08 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Not sure you are going to find NJ living much cheaper than Naples. Property insurance will be less but most of everything else (housing, car insurance, food etc) will cost the same or more. Plus, don't forget we have state income tax here so that will negate all (and then some) of any higher wages you might get. Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but if your main reason for moving from Naples it that it's too expensive, I don't think NJ is the wisest choice.

If you give an idea of your budget, I'm sure some people will throw out some towns that you could take a look at.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,647 times
Default Florida to N.J.

Thanks for your input very good details.

We are looking for a change in every way possible. Yes it's expensive here but where we live it's also ugly, so we are paying a high price to live in a place we don't even like/enjoy.
Why N.J. well I was born and raised in Hudson County. I enjoy the North a great deal, the people, and the seasons. I have been in Florida for about 13 years and would love to try the North again. I wouldn't live in Hudson County, but would love a quiet, country (not too country) small town to call home.
I've heard that Hackesttown is very nice, do you have any towns in mind that you recommend?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsmaymax View Post
I've heard that Hackesttown is very nice, do you have any towns in mind that you recommend?

If you're thinking about the Hackettstown area, look into Long Valley instead. A little more expensive, taxes around the same, schools light years better. Hackettstown itself is ok, blue collar, lots of Eastern European immigrants. Mansfield/Hackettstown has all the amenities you need, and is a 5 minute drive from LV. LV is more scenic.

BTW - H'town is Warren County, LV is Morris.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
I would give 2 thumbs up to Long Valley as well. You might take a look at Chester and Denville (might be too expensive) Netcong, Sparta, Hope (might be too country) or Newton. I guess it really depends if schools are important to you, what your budget is and what you consider "too country".

Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,887 times
This is funny! I'm a new college grad, and my husband and I are moving to Ocala, FL this friday from south jersey! Anyway, where we live is nice, try South Jersey, it's 20 mins from Philly, and 1 hour from the beach. I think you would like Moorestown, Haddonfield, Mt. Holly is getting nicer along the main street, some parts of Mt. Laurel, or Cherry Hill, all of these are probably as expensive as where you're from, except Mt. Holly, it's cheaper, but some areas are not as nice. Hope this helps!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM

56 posts, read 290,726 times
Default FLA to NJ Move

There are tons of towns throughout NJ that may be great...it depends on what you really want in terms of schools, commute to work..where will that be?...closer to beach, farms, small cities? It's all in NJ. As an realtor working in Essex, Morris and Passaic Counties, I can tell you alot about towns in these areas as well as homes, prices, amenities in the area, etc.; feel free to contact me directly. Also to keep in mind, the type of towns that would work best for your particular family. Are you outdoor type folks? Want to be near hiking, woods? Prefer a quiet residential suburb or towns with alot to do... soccer, music, theatre, art, etc.?
It's good to have options..now you have to decide where! Good luck, Elaine

Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times
Barnegat, Stafford and Little Egg Harbor are not that expensive and are just starting to build up. You are minutes from the beach, AC is only 30-40 minutes away. Philly is maybe 50 minutes away and NYC two hours away. good luck

Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 PM

26 posts, read 172,027 times
Maybe you should try close to hudson county, middlesex county is really nice and some parts are pretty affordable, lol thats a first i've heard..

Somebody moving to nj because somewhere else is too expensive
good luck and godspeed

Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM

37 posts, read 190,155 times
Try East Brunswick, Monroe Township in Centrl NJ... 45-50 minutes to the city, good schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey