Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
Thanks everyone for your opinions. It's so helpful reading info from people who are actually there and know the various areas.

It sounds like Hoboken might be a good place for me to initially "land" when I first arrive on the east coast. Then when I get a job, depending on where I end up working, I can have more time to do an extensive search if I wanted to live in NYC. It seems like the people who have those decent NYC apartments in a nice building either lucked into it or had some connection that got them the apartment.

So if I'm thinking about that initial apartment that would be an easy commute, safe area, etc., are the majority of you saying Hoboken is the best place for that? I'm in my 30's so I'm not looking for a party atmopshere but I also want enough stuff to do and places to go. At first I was thinking rent of $1500 would be good but now I'm seeing that it will be more like $2000.

I looked into getting a furnished place in NYC recently and they finally got back to me today on prices. It was $6000 a month for a 500 square foot studio. I almost fainted.
Hoboken would be a great place to be. I had a 1 br on 9th and Garden until 08' for $1600/month. 3rd floor walk up, washer/dryer in unit, really great space. If you are going to go up to $2000+. I would look in 2 Constitution or a sublease somewhere else in The Shipyard or maybe even Hudson Tea Building. I was there into my early 30s and have many friends who are still there and also in their mid-late 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
The price is $1500 in that case. $1500 is comparable to $1500. I said that the prices were comparable, and that's what I meant. The two similar things are "apartment rental prices for a month". Different people interpret the same language in different ways, sure. You read something into "comparable prices" that I do not. We know that . . . now what? I'm not. But if you can find it, let me know. I haven't seen any studios, even, for as low as I'm paying ($800, and that would have to include any additional charges like maintenance). Yes it is, because I can find properties in Manhattan for the same prices. That's what I mean by "as expensive as". That's different than being able to get something for the same money. The PATH is not what I consider excellent service, but okay. I wouldn't say it's horrible either, by the way. It's passable, even if it's sometimes annoying, too. Again, like any other evaluation, that's going to be subjective.
ummmm....really?

ok then. my friend lived in a studio for $800 a month, already mentioned that.

yes, and you can eat for $2 in the city, or in hoboken. but $2 will buy you more food in hoboken, thus, the "comparable" price is not comparable. this isn't about interpreting language. you can buy a BMW for $15,000 or a brand new car for $15,000. the price is comparable, but the BMW is 10 years old.

as for the PATH - set schedule, virtually no interruptions, not sure how service could get much better. knowing the path will be there every 6 minutes from 7am to 9am is pretty excellent. in my 6 years of commuting, i can count on one hand how many times i was prohibited from commuting or delayed significantly (more than 15-20 minutes). in my travels to the bronx for yankee games, i can't tell you how many times i've waited for a D train that never came, only to find out after waiting for 45 minutes that the D train is running on the N line that weekend, so i have to get to the 4 train somehow. now, i guess if i checked the website, i may have found that out - but how hard is it to announce that in the subway? lol.

i loved the PATH when i was in hoboken.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your opinions. It's so helpful reading info from people who are actually there and know the various areas.

It sounds like Hoboken might be a good place for me to initially "land" when I first arrive on the east coast. Then when I get a job, depending on where I end up working, I can have more time to do an extensive search if I wanted to live in NYC. It seems like the people who have those decent NYC apartments in a nice building either lucked into it or had some connection that got them the apartment.

So if I'm thinking about that initial apartment that would be an easy commute, safe area, etc., are the majority of you saying Hoboken is the best place for that? I'm in my 30's so I'm not looking for a party atmopshere but I also want enough stuff to do and places to go. At first I was thinking rent of $1500 would be good but now I'm seeing that it will be more like $2000.

I looked into getting a furnished place in NYC recently and they finally got back to me today on prices. It was $6000 a month for a 500 square foot studio. I almost fainted.
hahaha. i'll be honest though, most of my friends who moved to hoboken or JC first were tainted and could never move into the city after getting used to having certain things for their money. So, if you think you want to do the NYC thing at all, I'd start there, and move out later.

$1500/month is definitely doable in Hoboken depending on what you want, and if you want to live by yourself or find roomates (i found my first roomate on craigslist). when i moved to Hoboken, i was splitting $1600/month rent on 10th and willow. rent has certainly gone up since then, but for a nice size 2 bedroom in a walkup building, i loved that rent. washer/dryer in building.

if you want things like washer/dryer in unit, it means it's a newer unit most likely, so it's kinda like buying a BMW - you get all or nothing! brownstones offer some "cheap" (relatively speaking within hoboken) options if you're ok with walking up 2 or 3 flights. groceries are a pain, but you could treat yourself to Fresh Direct (expensive, but not horrible) or Shoprite's delivery services ha!

if you're in your 30s, i'd take tdstyle's advice and go uptown somewhere. near washington street mid and downtown is where all the post college atmosphere is. the uptown residences are more mature.

my buddy is in a very nice size studio on 7th and jefferson for $1600/month with some utilities included i believe. I could never live in a studio, but his was probably 700-800 sf and was doable. 1 bedroom apartments are expensive related to splitting a 2 bedroom with a roomate. but if you want to live on your own, that doesn't help you much!

jersey city heights is ok (ogden ave) and you can cab in and out of hoboken for like $8. but, if you're like most people, you might not go out as much since you're not right in it.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Hoboken would be a great place to be. I had a 1 br on 9th and Garden until 08' for $1600/month. 3rd floor walk up, washer/dryer in unit, really great space. If you are going to go up to $2000+. I would look in 2 Constitution or a sublease somewhere else in The Shipyard or maybe even Hudson Tea Building. I was there into my early 30s and have many friends who are still there and also in their mid-late 30's.
score on your place. yeah, lots of places like that in town. hudson tea is a bit pricey, shipyard isn't bad though. great locations.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:42 PM

429 posts, read 931,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
ummmm....really?
I don't know what you're asking "really" about there.
Quote:
ok then. my friend lived in a studio for $800 a month, already mentioned that.
Cool--so that's still available for that price?
Quote:
yes, and you can eat for $2 in the city, or in hoboken. but $2 will buy you more food in hoboken, thus, the "comparable" price is not comparable.
Makes no sense. The comparable price is comparable--it's $2 in both cases. That's all I'm saying with that phrase.
Quote:
this isn't about interpreting language.
I don't see how it wouldn't be. You're reading something else into "comparable price" than I am. What would it be about other than differences in the way we're thinking about and using language?
Quote:
you can buy a BMW for $15,000 or a brand new car for $15,000. the price is comparable,
Right
Quote:
but the BMW is 10 years old.
Which is irrelevant, imo, for the price being comparable.
Quote:
as for the PATH - set schedule, virtually no interruptions, not sure how service could get much better.
For me, the trains could run more often so that they're less crowded, and more frequent late at night, plus the trains to and from Newark-33rd could avoid going to Hoboken in off-peak hours. I'd also prefer different kinds of trains, more stops/routes, etc., but just more frequent, less crowded trains that don't divert to Hoboken sometimes would be nice.

I don't know if I've ever taken the subway when service is changed and there haven't been notices posted in the stations. I definitely wouldn't say the subway is perfect, either. In my experience, some other cities, like D.C., have much better train service, with the exception of it not being 24/7. Of course my experience with trains in other cities isn't nearly as extensive as here, but aside from there being so many stations in New York City and the subway and PATH running 24 hours, I haven't been to a city where I'd say that the subway or PATH systems are better than other trains (and I've been to tons of cities with subway/train systems--D.C., Boston, LA, SF, Paris, London, Tokyo, etc.)

Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I was just looking at an apartment site and they had pics of the Shipyard. I don't want to go up to $2000 I just thought maybe I would have to.

What was the name of your old place? That sounds perfect. I would love having a W/D in the unit.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,214,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my buddy is in a very nice size studio on 7th and jefferson for $1600/month with some utilities included i believe. I could never live in a studio, but his was probably 700-800 sf and was doable. 1 bedroom apartments are expensive related to splitting a 2 bedroom with a roomate. but if you want to live on your own, that doesn't help you much!
I could definitely live in a studio because I'm not bringing much stuff with me. I just want to see if I like the east coast, so I'll stay maybe a year or so to see. At that point, I will get a truck and actually move my stuff. I will check out uptown like you're saying.

I feel a little more relaxed now because at least I have a general area. The negative is since I'm not employed, I doubt an apartment complex will rent to me. I might have to find a private condo where I can just pay a certain amount in advance.

Does anyone have ideas on best places to find private condos besides Craigslist?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 AM

429 posts, read 931,440 times
Quote:
I feel a little more relaxed now because at least I have a general area. The negative is since I'm not employed, I doubt an apartment complex will rent to me.
You'd be able to find an apartment, but not in a "luxury" building or anything like that. It would have to be in a smaller building (not necessarily a smaller apartment--just less units; for example, I'm in a building with only one other apartment and a restaurant on the bottom floor), without any amenities, etc.

Nowhere that I've ever rented checked on my employment (and I've been a renter for over 25 years now), and when I first moved to this area (from Florida), the landlord knew I was moving up here "blind"--no job, no idea what the apartment or neighborhood looked like, etc. I rented it long distance without even seeing a picture. I've never had a lease, either. For places like that, when you're not in the area, search classified ads, including Craigslist, local newspapers, the Village Voice (that's where I found my first apartment, but this was the earlier 90s, before anyone but geeky techies tended to use the Internet) . . . there are probably a number of other websites that would have listings for apartments like that. The thing you'd likely have to avoid for those places is going through a real estate agency, broker, etc.

One thing to look into for that is to just rent a room first, so you can get to the area. Then once you're here and you can walk around, you'll see "For Rent" signs in some windows. My first apartment was a basement, then I found others by "For Rent" signs and making contacts with people in apartments like mine and landlords who rent apartments like mine.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 AM

yeah, you could probably find someone subletting a room, or someone trying to replace a roomate. i don't recall having my employment verified, but most do credit checks. if you have cash in your savings, show them a bank statement. that should provide most comfort.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
I was just looking at an apartment site and they had pics of the Shipyard. I don't want to go up to $2000 I just thought maybe I would have to. Most places will just want extra security if you don't have an employment letter. A big bank statement and/or stock portfolio will also help

What was the name of your old place? That sounds perfect. I would love having a W/D in the unit.
My place was in a brownstone, and is currently occupied. Here is a good site for hoboken rentals. It says they have studios in The Shipyard for $1600. That is a really great building. awesome locoation.

Big luxury buildings:

Hoboken Apartment / Apartments, Rentals, Rent

Private classified listings:

Kannekt- Hoboken Classifieds, Jersey City Classifieds -Apartments,Condos,Rentals,Real estate,Sales,Free - Edgewater classifieds..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey