U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 PM

3,823 posts, read 8,156,236 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/ed.../23newark.html

Nice story. Booker must have sweet talked the Facebook CEO pretty well since he is from CT, now living in California, and has no connection to Newark at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 AM

912 posts, read 1,961,391 times
Well, there's a cool $100 million wasted. I guess the Facebook founder didn't hear that our own legislature has bankrupted the state by sending billions to that school system and it hasn't done squat.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:17 AM

38,691 posts, read 82,822,282 times
I appreciate his dedication to improving education, but for all the good it will do he might as well have just thrown it in a furnace. At least that way it won't have been used to line the pockets of a bureaucracy that is more interested in self-preservation than educating children, as much of this money inevitably will be.

If I had his money and his aims I'd write a check to the Gates Foundation.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:19 AM

12,381 posts, read 21,385,600 times
I really trust that Booker will do good with this $$$ , i think he has really cleaned up Newark. I'm wondering who else does he know , maybe they can relocate businesses to the city.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 AM

22 posts, read 93,055 times
Here's my guess (and you may disagree):
Zuckerberg wants damage control from the upcoming movie "The Social Network." His public image has been getting worse and worse anyway. (This donation news quickly apprears on Wikipedia.) And to be on Oprah? He wants as much publicity as possible.
Since he's worth $6.9 billion (estimated by Forbes http://www.forbes.com/wealth/forbes-...mepagelighttop), $100 million is merely 1.4% of his fortune. If you have $1,000, is it very generous for you to donate $14? (Not.) Is $14 a big price to buy a good name? (Not.)
nj.com said this $100 million is an offer to match donation - so theorectically if nobody donates, he will donate $0? Usually who wants to donate to Newark school district? (Do you? Perhaps this is why Zuckerberg picks Newark?)

nj.com news said the $100 million from Zuckerberg is more than 10% of Newark school district's annual budget. Oh my goodness what is the district's total annual budget?!
http://www.nps.k12.nj.us/Budget1011/budgetpresentation.pdf (broken link)
Their annual budget is $940 million?

So even if Zuckerberg will give out all of the $100 million intended, it will only last Newark school district...39 days?!

Whether Zuckerberg's doing it from heart (guess not) or for public image, it's still a good start for him. Hey, Zuckerberg, what about Haiti? How about matching Brad Pitt on Katrina houses?

Last edited by frugalmom; 09-23-2010 at 04:20 AM..

Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 AM

5,074 posts, read 6,807,605 times
Never mind, Haiti....

He's putting his $ into something right here in the USA, unlike most others that have it and send it over seas. I don't care if it will do good or not, he's giving it to try and help right here in his own country and good for him.

I'm sure Newark will appreciate it.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM

5,126 posts, read 9,448,003 times
Well the state should send 100 million less from the Abbott school awards and trickle it back to the state taxpayers.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM

12,542 posts, read 16,575,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmom View Post
Here's my guess (and you may disagree):
Zuckerberg wants damage control from the upcoming movie "The Social Network." His public image has been getting worse and worse anyway. (This donation news quickly apprears on Wikipedia.) And to be on Oprah? He wants as much publicity as possible.
Since he's worth $6.9 billion (estimated by Forbes The Richest People in America 2010 - Forbes.com), $100 million is merely 1.4% of his fortune. If you have $1,000, is it very generous for you to donate $14? (Not.) Is $14 a big price to buy a good name? (Not.)
nj.com said this $100 million is an offer to match donation - so theorectically if nobody donates, he will donate $0? Usually who wants to donate to Newark school district? (Do you? Perhaps this is why Zuckerberg picks Newark?)

nj.com news said the $100 million from Zuckerberg is more than 10% of Newark school district's annual budget. Oh my goodness what is the district's total annual budget?!
http://www.nps.k12.nj.us/Budget1011/budgetpresentation.pdf (broken link)
Their annual budget is $940 million?

So even if Zuckerberg will give out all of the $100 million intended, it will only last Newark school district...39 days?!

Whether Zuckerberg's doing it from heart (guess not) or for public image, it's still a good start for him. Hey, Zuckerberg, what about Haiti? How about matching Brad Pitt on Katrina houses?
it's not confirmed yet, but there's been discussion about zuckerberg being in the group who is pledging to donate at least half their net worth either over their lifetime or at death to the bill and melinda gates foundation or other charities. bill gates and warren buffet are leading this effort to get the 500 wealthiest people in the world to be more charitable.

a great article on buffet recently about his charitable activities quoted him as saying it's no big deal when someone like him gives 99% of their fortune to charity (which he has pledged to do). the 1% that's left over is enough for him to not alter his lifestyle, but he said an average person giving $50 or $100 changes their lifestyle by not allowing them to go out to dinner one night or something of that nature. he also said that he would like to be charitable with his time, which is more valuable than money.

zuckerberg may be working on public image. there may be cynical reasons why he's doing it. but a lot of people in the tech industry are of this mindset of charity. not sure why, but they are. they have a drive to spark innovation too, so his donation could be a good kick in the behind for newark if done right.

we'll see what the true motivations are over time!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM

12,542 posts, read 16,575,825 times
rlevin - so he is a confirmed pledge to that movement? cool!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,403,644 times
That's $100 million down the drain. The problem with Newark schools isn't the funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: