Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:37 AM

40 posts, read 204,234 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,

From the JFK Airport, what is the best way to come to Princeton?
Also, my husband will need to rent a car at the beginning for coming to Princeton University everyday from home.
Where can we rent a car?
Will it be good to rent from JFK from a rental agent and than leave the car in Princeton to their another agent after 5-6 days?
Or is it cheaper to rent a car from Princeton?
What is the best agent for this situation?

Thanks a lot..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:54 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times
Question: Are you locked in to JFK? If not, Newark (EWR) would be closer.

At any rate, I would take the Belt Parkway to the Verrazano Bridge, cross Staten Island on Rt 278 and go over over the Goethals Bridge into Jersey. Once across the bridge, take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 9, which will be Route 18. Go north toward New Brunswick. From Route 18N, take Route 1 South toward Trenton, and that will get you to Princeton in about 30 minutes ... total is about 1.5 - 2 hours (or more) depending on traffic.

There might be other ways, but that's the way I'd do it.

I have no idea about car rentals, sorry.

Last edited by pvs; 09-23-2010 at 11:06 AM..

Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for your help, pvs. It seems we are locked to JFK, because we are coming with Turkish Airlines, it only stops there.
This is our first time in USA, so we don't have a car. I think you wrote the car route.
Is there any public transport from JFK to Princeton Junction?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susemi View Post
Thanks for your help, pvs. It seems we are locked to JFK, because we are coming with Turkish Airlines, it only stops there.
This is our first time in USA, so we don't have a car. I think you wrote the car route.
Is there any public transport from JFK to Princeton Junction?
OK, I thought you were planning to rent a car.

Anyway, using public transportation, I guess you could:

1) Take the JFK Airtrain to get to the subway or Long Island Railroad
2) Take the subway/LIRR into Manhattan - Penn Station
3) At NY Penn Station, you can catch NJ Transit out to Princeton Junction

Should be doable, but will probably take a long while.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:22 PM

132 posts, read 631,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Question: Are you locked in to JFK? If not, Newark (EWR) would be closer.

At any rate, I would take the Belt Parkway to the Verrazano Bridge, cross Staten Island on Rt 278 and go over over the Goethals Bridge into Jersey. Once across the bridge, take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 9, which will be Route 18. Go north toward New Brunswick. From Route 18N, take Route 1 South toward Trenton, and that will get you to Princeton in about 30 minutes ... total is about 1.5 - 2 hours (or more) depending on traffic.

There might be other ways, but that's the way I'd do it.

I have no idea about car rentals, sorry.
A bit easier from Staten Island Rt 278, is to connect to 440 towards Outerbridge, and take Route 1 South towards Trenton.

Hertz does not charge extra for dropping off at different locations.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2do4now View Post
A bit easier from Staten Island Rt 278, is to connect to 440 towards Outerbridge, and take Route 1 South towards Trenton.
Yeah, I used to go that route. But nowadays, I prefer to get off Staten Island (narrower lanes @ 50MPH) quicker, and get onto NJ Turnpike sooner (Wider lanes @ 65MPH). This also then allows me to take the turnpike down to Exit 9 (Route 18), so I don't need to be on Route 1 (with all the traffic lights) from north of Edison, as your route necessitates. My route gets me onto Route 1 in New Brunswick, and seems faster to me.

But either way works, agreed! Yours doesn't make you pay any tolls, but I forget about that since I have E-ZPass.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

132 posts, read 631,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
OK, I thought you were planning to rent a car.

Anyway, using public transportation, I guess you could:

1) Take the JFK Airtrain to get to the subway or Long Island Railroad
2) Take the subway/LIRR into Manhattan - Penn Station
3) At NY Penn Station, you can catch NJ Transit out to Princeton Junction

Should be doable, but will probably take a long while.
Yes, it would take a long while and even longer if the OP is arriving late in the evening. Not sure about the frequency of the JFK Airtrain, subways/LIRR, and trains to NJ Transit.

If the OP is travelling with more than 2 people (plus luggage), the hassle and extra cost might (JFK Airtrain, LIRR or subway, and train to Princeton) not be worth it. Besides, how are you getting home from Princeton's train station to your home? More difficult if you have kids.

I suggest you check on-line on car rental and include a GPS. You will go from the airport to your house without getting lost. Rental for a day shouldn't be more than $100.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:41 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
When I rent an airport car, usually out west around Las Vegas, it's a lot cheaper than that, usually like $25 a day or less. If you drive via Staten Island, the tolls will be about $20 for the 2 bridges westbound. They have that train to plane connection at JFK and also the Airtrain monorail which takes you to Jamaica station I think. Anyway you go to Penn Station in Manhattan and as mentioned above take the NJ Transit train to your destination. All the connections are searchable online.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Maybe I should think about taking a shuttle from JFK to Newark.
Then come Princeton from Newark.. ?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susemi View Post
Maybe I should think about taking a shuttle from JFK to Newark.
Then come Princeton from Newark.. ?
Considering the time it will take to transfer your luggage and make the connecting flight, I don't really think it will save you any time, and will ultimately cost a lot more. And you will still need to drive from Newark, which will be about an hour, maybe a bit more.

I think your best bet is to rent a car with a GPS at the airport, and drive to Princeton from JFK Airport.

The train connections discussed above are also a possibility, but not if you're traveling late at night. The last NJ Transit trains from Penn Station to Princeton are probably around midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey