U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 04:23 AM

153 posts, read 604,320 times

Advertisements

I am looking around at different towns to purchase my first home and Old Bridge has some things that are in my price range... What is the area like? crime? Schools? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 09:35 AM

877 posts, read 2,547,369 times
Default All about Old Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_woww View Post
I am looking around at different towns to purchase my first home and Old Bridge has some things that are in my price range... What is the area like? crime? Schools? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!
Decent town overall, not much crime, just usual suburban petty stuff you'll run into anywhere. More bang for your buck than anything it borders in all directions. The town is quite large, about 60K people spread across 38 square miles. It is very spread out with many areas that are still really rural (only 1/3 of the territory is developed), while many of the developed "suburban" areas are closely packed together, like the Sayre Woods South development off Rt 9, which has plenty of your older flavor suburbs, but the houses are old and built pretty close together, but it might work for you if your budget is $225K. Some other developments, like the Arbors, contain larger lots for the houses, but prepare to spend more money there. Lots of bigger newer developments as you get out to Rt 34 in the Cheesequake area, which uses Matawan's zip code. Some other areas are a bit run down, like the Laurence Harbor/Cliffwood Beach area along Rt 35, and the area they now call South Old Bridge (which really isn't the southernmost part of town), along Old Bridge-Englishtown Rd (CR 527) south of Rt 18, as well as a somewhat large quantity of apartment complexes, some of which are good and some of which are bad.

The school district is big too, about twelve K-5 schools, then two middle schools, Salk and Sandburg, and then one huge high school (previously merged from two) which at over 3,000 students is the single largest high school facility in Middlesex County. I'd look for houses zoned to Salk Middle School, which even though it is close to one of the less desirable neighborhoods, gets kids from all the better ones. The difference between that and Sandburg is night and day. As previously stated, the high school is really big and almost looks like a college campus, with its athletic fields located some distance away, but it seems like it is big enough for everyone to find the right crowd to fit into. Those two "undesirable" areas I mentioned are really the only places in this town I wouldn't live. I know many people who emerged from this area who have thrived and they have never said a bad thing about it.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:11 PM

39 posts, read 135,000 times
A little history on this township. Prior to the late 70's it was called Madison Township but the post office requested a name change due to confusion with another Madison in northern NJ. The geographic location then known as Old Bridge was the southeastern most portion of East Brunswick (now called the Old Bridge Historic District). This was the area from about Rues Lane to the South River-Duhernal Lake The area of then Madison Township across the South River was called South Old Bridge. They had referendum on the township name change so the name Old Bridge was applied to a wide area that was never referred to as Old Bridge previously. I used to live there so I remember this happening.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 AM

877 posts, read 2,547,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
A little history on this township. Prior to the late 70's it was called Madison Township but the post office requested a name change due to confusion with another Madison in northern NJ. The geographic location then known as Old Bridge was the southeastern most portion of East Brunswick (now called the Old Bridge Historic District). This was the area from about Rues Lane to the South River-Duhernal Lake The area of then Madison Township across the South River was called South Old Bridge. They had referendum on the township name change so the name Old Bridge was applied to a wide area that was never referred to as Old Bridge previously. I used to live there so I remember this happening.
Sounds like what they did in Robbinsville. Until 2007 it was called Washington, just like five other Washingtons in NJ, and only the one small section bordering Hamilton was known as Robbinsville, where 33 breaks off 130 and continues west. There was another area known as Windsor which was part of the then Washington Twp (present day Robbinsville Twp), which few people know of since it's not incorporated like East Windsor or West Windsor. And Washington Twp was in the middle of all those zip code tabulation areas and got different addresses depending on where. So in 2007 they changed the name to Robbinsville Twp after that one small part, but they really have been slacking on changing the signs in the township. You would never know it is now officially Robbinsville Twp, since there are so many old signs still up that say Washington. Same thing down in Toms River, which was Dover Twp until 2006, although I think it took them about a year to change the signs, not this long.

All of this explains then why many parts of Old Bridge Twp are located within zip code tabulation areas bearing names of other towns. The proper zip code for Old Bridge is 08857. A large portion of town also gets 07747 which is Aberdeen/Matawan zip code. This is the Cheesequake section of Old Bridge, around Rt 34. Areas bordering Sayreville use 08859 which is the zip code for Parlin (part of Sayreville). Cliffwood Beach uses another zip code, either 07721 or 07735, can't remember which. And then Laurence Harbor uses South Amboy's zip code 08879, which also covers the Morgan section of Sayreville, also on the bay, like the two previous communities mentioned. Then I know Raceway Park uses Englishtown's zip code 07726 because that is how it is advertised, few people know it is really in Old Bridge. Then I think the Winding Woods apartment complex is also really in Old Bridge, but uses Sayreville's zip code 08872, so it is though of as being in Sayreville also.

On a related note, my uncle who went to Rutgers in the 1970s (graduated in 1977) says he'd visited Cheesequake State Park back then, and he said that everyone back then said they were going to Cheesequake State Park in Sayreville. So I imagine then that maybe that area used to be covered by Sayreville addresses, but has long since switched to Matawan?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM
JRE

70 posts, read 297,098 times
Has there been anything in the news since 2008 about the reported cancer clusters in Sayreville? One of the areas of concern was Winding Wood Apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey