Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 PM

19 posts, read 36,604 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I posted here a while back when we were thinking of moving to the States from the UK. My husband will be working around the corner from Madison Sq Garden and we are now looking for a place to live as we finally have our visa. We thought about NYC but we don't think it's the best place for us. Our 15 month old loves being out in the backyard and we'll have lots of family and friends visiting so a 3 bedroom house is a must. We like the sound of New Jersey so would like to get a list of places to explore when we get here so we can decide where to live. I love the sound of Scotch Plains and Westfield and have found a few very nice houses within our budget. OUr budget is between $2,500 and $3,000 a month for a house. We are not worried about preschools yet as we don't know how long we will be in the US for. The town and surrounding areas need to have lots to offer for kids, ie indoor play areas, playgroups, pool, parks, etc. My husband will be commuting daily to NYC so a decent commute time is essential (1 hour). He will be taking the train as I know traffic, parking in NYC can be difficult. I will be a stay at home mom for a while (my working visa will take around 3 months to process and my son is not a fan of day care, we tried and it ended in tears, lots of tears!!).

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to hearing your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM

83 posts, read 224,732 times
I would say Cranford, Westfield, Ridgewood, or Summit would suit you really well. They have really nice town centers (coming from the UK, I'm assuming you're used to them, and would miss them), good train links to the city, and I know Westfield and Cranford have some really nice parks. Ridgewood is quite suburban, but very close to the mountains and more rural areas. All are very safe and very nice towns to live in.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey