Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:04 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Hey, I couldn't counsel you either way, but just no that I have several friends from the car scene that are in the military (car registered in another state) or live in PA or DE and are in NJ on a regular basis and they don't get harassed for the tint.

If you are that concerned about it, then peel it off the windshield and the front windows and be done with it. IMO it's a stupid law anyway with a really weak reason of "officer safety" to justify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Hey, I couldn't counsel you either way, but just no that I have several friends from the car scene that are in the military (car registered in another state) or live in PA or DE and are in NJ on a regular basis and they don't get harassed for the tint.

If you are that concerned about it, then peel it off the windshield and the front windows and be done with it. IMO it's a stupid law anyway with a really weak reason of "officer safety" to justify it.
Not if you're a cop in a sketchy area and you've pulled over a car and can't see who the hell is in the front seats.....

Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I don't know what areas of SI you have looked at, but there are some VERY nice areas here. You're going to have one heck of a commute if you're looking at Scotch Plains from the Bayonne Bridge - whew, hope you're working off regular commuting times.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 52,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I don't know what areas of SI you have looked at, but there are some VERY nice areas here. You're going to have one heck of a commute if you're looking at Scotch Plains from the Bayonne Bridge - whew, hope you're working off regular commuting times.
What areas of SI do you recommend? I believe I will miss the rush - in the office by 6:30, out around 4:30.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It has to do with safety for officers when pulling a car over..they need to be able to see into the front seats
That's the stated reason, but I dunno, it doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else. Seems like more rules and regs from an over-regulated state government.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
That's the stated reason, but I dunno, it doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else. Seems like more rules and regs from an over-regulated state government.
Bingo. Again the evidence doesn't support the laws. There are no greater incidents of officers being injured in states that don't regulate tint. This is another way they justify a law that is only about revenue. It's also ironic that they allow tint on the back window and on the rear side windows. So, I guess its not a safety risk if the officer can't see in the back, just if he can't see in the front?

Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 PM

16 posts, read 52,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Bingo. Again the evidence doesn't support the laws. There are no greater incidents of officers being injured in states that don't regulate tint. This is another way they justify a law that is only about revenue. It's also ironic that they allow tint on the back window and on the rear side windows. So, I guess its not a safety risk if the officer can't see in the back, just if he can't see in the front?

I agree with the comments. I imagine it could be an eerie feeling walking up to a car and not being able to see inside. However with no restriction on the back windows what difference does it make? I have not heard of any increased problems in MO since the law allowed tint on the front windows. I have heard of spoiled attempts at smash and grab because the tint held the shattered glass in place. I also imagine less break ins are attempted since the thief cannot see valuables in the car. I would think the tinted windows would be more of a concern for a LEO in MO since we have a shall issue clause on right to carry, but that is a whole other discussion I do not wish to bring up right now.

After putting more thought into the window tint on my wife's car I think I will leave it unless she gets hassled.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM

12 posts, read 35,524 times
I live in New Jersey and have drivers license,plates,insurance done there.Recently I had thyroid surgery
and my doctor wrote note saying I could benefit by window tint so I had front windshield,all side windows,
and rear window tinted.Now as if all the police departments received a memo saying crack down on tint,
I have been stopped three times in the last six days.No ticket,but an officer did say I needed a special
form from Motor Vehicle Commission asking for a MEDICAL EXEMPTION.I really do not understand why
anyone even has to go through as this.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 777 times
I'm moving from va and I have tint... but u can sweet inside my car Would I still have to remove it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey