Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:05 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wonder if the people who are questioning other people about leaving a note are just feeling guilty because they know they wouldn't and it makes them feel better to believe everyone else is just as bad as them.
On MY part, definitely not, Manderly. I'm simply going by the fact that over about 5 years, my own car was dinged at least 20 times, and nobody EVER left a note (0 for 20 = 0%). Yet here, on this forum, the vast majority say they would be ethical and leave a note. I realize this is anecdotal evidence, and not a true study, but all the same, it seems there is a difference between what folks say and what they actually do. I dunno ... Maybe the folks who post on Internet Forums are just more ethically conscious? I find it a curious phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,961,160 times
Quote:
I wonder if the people who are questioning other people about leaving a note are just feeling guilty because they no they wouldn't and it makes them feel better to believe everyone else is just as bad as them.

I wonder if you might be questioning other people's questioning of other people about leaving a note as part of a triple reverse guilt cover-up in order to stop the other voices that are questioning wheter this should even be questioned, keeping in mind that the OP has also likely not even returned to see all of the questions that his/her question created.

Just a question...

Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 AM

256 posts, read 397,045 times
Quote:
I wonder if the people who are questioning other people about leaving a note are just feeling guilty because they no they wouldn't and it makes them feel better to believe everyone else is just as bad as them.
Okay, we're making this more complicated than it is =)

Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,743,311 times
Regardless of the ethics of each individual poster on this forum we know this for certain: the OP didn't leave a note AND he got caught. I'm not buying his "I was going to talk to the person in the afternoon" BS, it was simply an excuse inserted to save face. If you are going to do the right thing you do it right away not put it off for 8 hours.

So OP you took a risk by hitting someone's car and not leaving a note hoping you would get away with it, you didn't. Sucks for you, but statistically some people are going to get caught others are not. Today is was YOUR turn to get caught, lawyer up and deal with it. You’re going to have to get a lawyer who will hopefully negotiate a lesser charge with a MUCH higher fine but no points.

Advice for nex time:
1) Drive more carefully
2) If you are going to do the right thing, do it right away
3) Never be stupid enough to not do the right thing if you are in a private lot with restriced access and security cameras
4) Keep your fingers crossed that at work you do not need to rely on this person for anything, ever. If you did that to my car and 6 months later needed my help getting some portion of your prject done you'd be SOL.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM
pvs

Well, again, I must say I wish you nice folks at City-Data parked near me. I just got back home, and parking my car, I saw that my wife's car has a new 5-inch long vertical gash that actually dented the door!

Guess what .... no note was left!!! I am livid right now. But it seems there's in actuality, only a very small fraction of people who have any ethics these days, and we're never lucky enough to have them park near us.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,814,013 times
Quote:
I think you might have a point there. When you read these things, you tend to automatically think you'll do the right thing. But, will you really?

Put it this way, let's say you put a 2 inch scratch on a 15 year old heap with dents and half of its paint peeling off. Are you honestly going to leave a note?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 PM

228 posts, read 1,202,370 times
What kind of car was it? Some cars can be super expensive to repair. I'd be pretty pissed.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
What kind of car was it? Some cars can be super expensive to repair. I'd be pretty pissed.
Admittedly, no, we're talking a 2002 Ford Focus here. But it's in very good condition, not at all like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I think you might have a point there. When you read these things, you tend to automatically think you'll do the right thing. But, will you really?

Put it this way, let's say you put a 2 inch scratch on a 15 year old heap with dents and half of its paint peeling off. Are you honestly going to leave a note?
All the same, the extent of this "ding" is huge! About 5 inches vertical from top to bottom, and dented hard enough to leave a crease. This is now the ONLY "ding" on the car.

I DO think we ALL feel we would be above doing damage and not offering to pay for it. But considering my own experiences, I think that when it happens, and there are no witnesses, many of us WILL actually decide to just let it go. I'm not saying this is RIGHT, but I think it's reality.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 27,601 times
I am the OP, thanks for everyone's help.
I was driving a pretty old SUV (2002) and the car I dinged was a brand new hybrid, which later turned out to be a rental. I contacted the rental company right away and was ready to pay for any damage. Luckily, the scratch was very minor and the rental company did not charge it. Saved my insurance.
The police report says I did not know that I scratched the car. At least it proved that I did not maliciously hit and run. I am going to court in two weeks. Will plea not guilty.

I was terrified, but I never thought of move my car. As most of ppl in this forum, I believe in karma.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,635,160 times
Next time leave a note with your name and number where to reach you. Would have saved you alot of trouble. Have no idea how to plead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: