U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

244 posts, read 790,905 times
Default Good undergrad schools in NJ, NY, PA for my kid?

Hi,

My son just started 10th grade and is talking about going into engineering, and thinking about an engineering college. He is part of the Robotics Club at his high school and loves it. However, he also loves Civics, History, Law, and I am not sure if he will really end up as an engineer... He likes the idea of teaching as well. He is very bright, yet sensitive and a bit shy. He is also ADD. I am sharing all this with you because I am trying to determine which college we should look into... Ideally, it should be easy enough for him to come home over the weekend if he chooses to. Also, I want a nurturing environment, not strict and cold, as he will shut down. He does best with smart, good people. He is attending one of the best public high schools in central NJ, and his grades are not perfect, but pretty good, showing good progress in moving up levels. He plans to go to graduate school as well. Cost is not an issue for us, however, lower cost is preferable (of course).

Thank you in advance for any tips you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,872,353 times
I would recommend having him go to community college and getting an Associate's degree, and upon completion of that he will have guaranteed acceptance into any 4-year state college except Rutgers (although he can still apply to RU and if his grades are good he can get in even though it's not guaranteed).

This way he gets to try college out and see what issues he might have with ADD or whatever else, plus he won't have to worry about being "accepted", plus if school turns out not to be for him he can leave with at least an associate's, or even if he leaves sooner he can always go back. If school turns out to be a good fit for him and he enjoys a subject or otherwise does well, he can apply to any 4-year school (with hopefully better grades than his "not perfect" high school grades) and even rest assured that at the least he'll get into any state school like Montclair, WPU, Ramapo, Rowan, College of NJ (Trenton State), etc.

Also this route is a much more cost effective way to get a 4-year degree from any good school.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM

282 posts, read 396,420 times
As our esteemed alumni said last Sunday night in colts game "The RRRRRRRRR'vard."

Seriously though, take a look at RU.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 AM

18,901 posts, read 15,430,147 times
There are many great options, one that may be of interest if Engineering is at all a possibility would be Drexel University, part of University City (along with Penn) in downtown Philly. Plus their co-op program affords the opportunity get a feel for a job.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM

2,197 posts, read 4,152,487 times
What school or kind of school is your son interested in? After all, he'd be the one actually going there.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I would recommend having him go to community college and getting an Associate's degree, and upon completion of that he will have guaranteed acceptance into any 4-year state college except Rutgers (although he can still apply to RU and if his grades are good he can get in even though it's not guaranteed).

This way he gets to try college out and see what issues he might have with ADD or whatever else, plus he won't have to worry about being "accepted", plus if school turns out not to be for him he can leave with at least an associate's, or even if he leaves sooner he can always go back. If school turns out to be a good fit for him and he enjoys a subject or otherwise does well, he can apply to any 4-year school (with hopefully better grades than his "not perfect" high school grades) and even rest assured that at the least he'll get into any state school like Montclair, WPU, Ramapo, Rowan, College of NJ (Trenton State), etc.

Also this route is a much more cost effective way to get a 4-year degree from any good school.
Thank you. College is for him, no question about it. He is very, very bright. He placed in the most advanced category in Math at the state level... He wants to get a PhD, so an AA degree is not the goal... We want a four year college with an excellent reputation, that will prepare/position him well for an advanced degree, so that's what the question is...

Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
What school or kind of school is your son interested in? After all, he'd be the one actually going there.
Completely agree, he will be the one to make the decision. We are new to the East Coast, that's why I need some advice, and as a parent I feel that I can help him with presenting some good options that he can add to his own, for consideration.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM

17,580 posts, read 19,435,604 times
I know at one point Lehigh University was a pretty good engineering school.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 PM

4,646 posts, read 8,694,814 times
if he goes the community college route, check out the STARS program which will help pay for community college and possibly more.

there is nothing wrong with going to CC for an associates and then transferring unless the work there is below him, but you said money was an issue. you can save yourself about 50,000 or 75,000 over 2 years there.

NJSTARS.NET

there is a lot of red tape but after all they are dishing out tuition to community college towards an associates degree. it is worth about 7000 dollars total I believe.

otherwise how about Rutgers, Stevens institute, RPI or NJIT.

Last edited by joe moving; 09-29-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,923,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I know at one point Lehigh University was a pretty good engineering school.
Lehigh has a very good engineering school. Plus, it has really expanded and strenghtened it's Business and Arts schools. So if he doesn't end up in engineering, it's easy to switch to an Arts or Business major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey