U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM
EB2 EB2 started this thread
 
Location: Florida
1,927 posts, read 5,335,838 times
Reputation: 1047

Advertisements

I was wondering how safe the Ironbound section is. I've heard numerous things from different people (both here in the forums, and from customers of mine from Newark or that area).

I'd be on foot, or taking a bus or cab (depending on their transportation), most of the time...so if it's going to put my safety in danger, I'd rather not go at all.

Please note that I've never been to Newark, but I've heard horror stories.

I am, however, from a large/highly urbanized city with a population close to or of 300k+ people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
 
Location: 32082/07716/10028
1,346 posts, read 1,570,883 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I was wondering how safe the Ironbound section is. I've heard numerous things from different people (both here in the forums, and from customers of mine from Newark or that area).

I'd be on foot, or taking a bus or cab (depending on their transportation), most of the time...so if it's going to put my safety in danger, I'd rather not go at all.

Please note that I've never been to Newark, but I've heard horror stories.

I am, however, from a large/highly urbanized city with a population close to or of 300k+ people.
it's relatively safe, I hope that you're not thinking of moving there, unless you speak portuguese you'll be an outsider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2007, 07:17 PM
EB2 EB2 started this thread
 
Location: Florida
1,927 posts, read 5,335,838 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
it's relatively safe, I hope that you're not thinking of moving there, unless you speak portuguese you'll be an outsider
Oh, no. I wouldn't want to live in Newark.

I'm actually a college student, who will be visiting Essex (looking at Montclair State...possibly some other schools [for a transfer]/the general [safer] areas)

I've just heard the Ironbound has good restaurants and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
 
Location: 32082/07716/10028
1,346 posts, read 1,570,883 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Oh, no. I wouldn't want to live in Newark.

I'm actually a college student, who will be visiting Essex (looking at Montclair State...possibly some other schools [for a transfer]/the general [safer] areas)

I've just heard the Ironbound has good restaurants and such.
you should have no issues going out to eat in the ironbound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 14,967,984 times
Reputation: 1071
Yeah tons of people go to dinner in the Ironbound. Unless your family is from Portugal or Brazil though, I don't know if you would fit in there.

The Ironbound is pretty safe though, its definitely the safest neighborhood in Newark by a long shot. Very little violent crime occurs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 AM
 
72 posts, read 282,787 times
Reputation: 22
Default no worries

no worries in the Ironbound day or night. The population is always changing there. The current influx is central and south americans, but the majority of restaurants are still spanish and portuguese influenced. The main restaurants are right on Ferry Street about 3-5 blocks up from the train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 12:47 AM
EB2 EB2 started this thread
 
Location: Florida
1,927 posts, read 5,335,838 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by novillero View Post
no worries in the Ironbound day or night. The population is always changing there. The current influx is central and south americans, but the majority of restaurants are still spanish and portuguese influenced. The main restaurants are right on Ferry Street about 3-5 blocks up from the train station.
Pretty safe walk from the train station to there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 AM
 
Location: 32082/07716/10028
1,346 posts, read 1,570,883 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Pretty safe walk from the train station to there?
yes, just stick to ferry st
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2015, 08:31 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,431 times
Reputation: 11
Newark's Ironbound is extremely dangerous, there is a lot of crime, the police are just good at hiding it. It usually doesn't happen on Ferry St., but does 1/2 block off Ferry St., where you might park your car. I have lived in Newark's Ironbound, in the center of the Ironbound, in the "safest" part for 8 years. I have never been robbed anywhere, but here was robbed and assaulted by three gun-wielding robbers that jumped out of a late model Mercedes after carjacking it a few blocks away. I live in a very "safe" part of the Ironbound, and people are robbed and knocked unconscious, every few weeks outside one local business. The police act like they take reports, but don't file them to improve crime statistics. Speaking Portuguese is irrelevant, there is no community here.

The problem starts with the corrupt politicians that only look to line their pockets at the public trough. Walk into any Precinct House and you will see the average policeman weighs over 300 lbs, including the women. There is no annual physical requirement to pass or be fired, there are no walking police patrols anywhere in the Ironbound EVER, and the police have one interest only- to get morbidly obese as soon as possible, and retire on a 75% disability pension at as young an age as they can. Newark rejected Bratton's offer 20 years ago to take over the Police Chief job here, and instead went on to clean up NYC, with fewer police per capita than Newark. The only police presence in Newark, is seeing them in squad cars surfing the web in some out of the way place, or going into and out of Dunkin Donuts. It is very sad. Newark has no future with the political and police environment, you play Russian Roulette eating here at the many fine restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,191 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Reputation: 60076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newark anonymous View Post
Newark's Ironbound is extremely dangerous, there is a lot of crime, the police are just good at hiding it. It usually doesn't happen on Ferry St., but does 1/2 block off Ferry St., where you might park your car. I have lived in Newark's Ironbound, in the center of the Ironbound, in the "safest" part for 8 years. I have never been robbed anywhere, but here was robbed and assaulted by three gun-wielding robbers that jumped out of a late model Mercedes after carjacking it a few blocks away. I live in a very "safe" part of the Ironbound, and people are robbed and knocked unconscious, every few weeks outside one local business. The police act like they take reports, but don't file them to improve crime statistics. Speaking Portuguese is irrelevant, there is no community here.

The problem starts with the corrupt politicians that only look to line their pockets at the public trough. Walk into any Precinct House and you will see the average policeman weighs over 300 lbs, including the women. There is no annual physical requirement to pass or be fired, there are no walking police patrols anywhere in the Ironbound EVER, and the police have one interest only- to get morbidly obese as soon as possible, and retire on a 75% disability pension at as young an age as they can. Newark rejected Bratton's offer 20 years ago to take over the Police Chief job here, and instead went on to clean up NYC, with fewer police per capita than Newark. The only police presence in Newark, is seeing them in squad cars surfing the web in some out of the way place, or going into and out of Dunkin Donuts. It is very sad. Newark has no future with the political and police environment, you play Russian Roulette eating here at the many fine restaurants.
How on earth did you manage to dredge up an 8-year-old thread and what made you decide to join CD just to answer that 8-year-old thread? I'm studying Message Board Psychology.

By the way, I dined at The Spain last week with five other middle-aged babes, and we all made it home alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top