U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2010, 10:33 AM
 
71 posts, read 196,092 times
Reputation: 52

Advertisements

Do I get right what's happening?

1. Spring 2010 - NJEA battled the governor's efforts to make schools efficient and reduce the extra ballast at schools, kept teacher positions and caused taxpayers pay more... nothing improved, just became more expensive

2. Summer 2010 - folks substituted the school voucher proposal with the school choice - NJEA kept the monopoly on the tax $$ for education and took away a choice to go outside of the public school system for our kids... at this point it could have been predicted that the next move would be to resolve one town problems at the expense of some other town, leaving NJEA's interests safe

3. Fall 2010 - the underenrollment (read extra teachers) is resolved by allowing students into some districts while leaving schools overstuffed in the places students left... and again, from the taxpayers point of view it's not just dillution of the real estate values, it's redistribution of wealth going on... NJEA solves its problems at our expense

I wonder how much longer it would take us to realize that there is no NJEA vs. governor, it's simply NJEA's prosperity at our expense - low-quality education, increasing taxes, dilluted property values, no control over educational options for our children... how much longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM
 
1,920 posts, read 2,878,592 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
Do I get right what's happening?

1. Spring 2010 - NJEA battled the governor's efforts to make schools efficient and reduce the extra ballast at schools, kept teacher positions and caused taxpayers pay more... nothing improved, just became more expensive

2. Summer 2010 - folks substituted the school voucher proposal with the school choice - NJEA kept the monopoly on the tax $$ for education and took away a choice to go outside of the public school system for our kids... at this point it could have been predicted that the next move would be to resolve one town problems at the expense of some other town, leaving NJEA's interests safe

3. Fall 2010 - the underenrollment (read extra teachers) is resolved by allowing students into some districts while leaving schools overstuffed in the places students left... and again, from the taxpayers point of view it's not just dillution of the real estate values, it's redistribution of wealth going on... NJEA solves its problems at our expense

I wonder how much longer it would take us to realize that there is no NJEA vs. governor, it's simply NJEA's prosperity at our expense - low-quality education, increasing taxes, dilluted property values, no control over educational options for our children... how much longer?

Talk about playing politics!!! Your post is great did you steal it from Glenn Beck? Don't bother answering because I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,583 posts, read 9,450,509 times
Reputation: 6710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Talk about playing politics!!! Your post is great did you steal it from Glenn Beck? Don't bother answering because I don't care.
All those anti-Christie posts are just "telling it like it is", but this post is "playing politics"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Epping,NH
2,097 posts, read 5,487,198 times
Reputation: 1052
Looks like a cut and paste. Schools in my former hometown are packed and the teacher to student ratio is hitting 30 plus.

As far as I'm concerned, privatize education and let the users pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
 
1,920 posts, read 2,878,592 times
Reputation: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
All those anti-Christie posts are just "telling it like it is", but this post is "playing politics"?
Funny you would chime in on playing politics. I expect more from you but then again you are the same as the op. Playing politics is bashing an entire group of people because its the "company" line. Bashing Christie because you don't like him or his actions has nothing to do with politics. If somebody said they hates the entire GOP thats silly. We are allowed to like and dislike certain people and their actions right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 PM
 
71 posts, read 196,092 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Talk about playing politics!!! Your post is great did you steal it from Glenn Beck? Don't bother answering because I don't care.
wow! is it the guy who wrote "the overton window"?
i'd like to read it but it's still not in the libraries...
no, not him... if i'm stealing, then directly from Ayn Rand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM
 
2,910 posts, read 2,858,669 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Looks like a cut and paste. Schools in my former hometown are packed and the teacher to student ratio is hitting 30 plus.

As far as I'm concerned, privatize education and let the users pay.
Agreed. Probably going get smarter kids and cost a lot less than the government is doing it.

I read an article few years back talking about people working part time and able to pay for their college tuition 30 to 40 years ago. Now college grade come out with 50 to 150k of debt. And this change so happen when the government took over student loan and start guarantee them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,583 posts, read 9,450,509 times
Reputation: 6710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Funny you would chime in on playing politics. I expect more from you but then again you are the same as the op. Playing politics is bashing an entire group of people because its the "company" line. Bashing Christie because you don't like him or his actions has nothing to do with politics. If somebody said they hates the entire GOP thats silly. We are allowed to like and dislike certain people and their actions right?
NJEA bashing is not the "company" line, any more or less than Christie bashing is the democratic "company" line. Most of us have opposed the NJEA long before Christie came along and will likely be long after he is gone. We are very happy that someone finally has the b@lls to get them under control. Lord knows they have been out of control for years. Disliking them as an organization is not "silly" anymore than disliking the GOP as an organization, or the dems for that matter. It doesn't mean that you necessarily dislike ALL the individuals within the organization. It means you dislike their policies, EXACTLY the way you dislike Christie's policies. You are only trying to separate the two so you can say "complaining about one is OK, but complaining about the other is just "silly". That's very convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Epping,NH
2,097 posts, read 5,487,198 times
Reputation: 1052
Quote:
And this change so happen when the government took over student loan and start guarantee them.
Simple. Don't give out student loans. Half the deadbeats never pay them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 PM
 
71 posts, read 196,092 times
Reputation: 52
I would add a little bid...

before this Fall it was NJEA vs. taxpayers... now it would be taxpayers of one town vs. taxpayers of another town... and where is NJEA, not in the picture anymore?!

from now on it will seen in two roles:
(1) mediator - comforting, understanding, looking for the solutions in the best interests of all parties
(2) distributor of the limited resource - deciding on who's going and who's staying... who's admitted and who's rejected

overnight, from the common enemy NJEA has turned into a ruling power... the focus of everyone's attention is shifted... taxpayers got divided by the change of game rules...

imo, divide and rule... classics!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 PM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top