Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM

631 posts, read 719,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
..wait for his pension and subsidized family benefits, from your pockets and then tell you how he makes your life much safer by fighting off gangs of squirrels and moving dead deer in Bergen County.

I see you've really looked into this and came to a thoughtful and logical conclusion on what the sheriff's officers do on a daily bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 AM

367 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
I see you've really looked into this and came to a thoughtful and logical conclusion on what the sheriff's officers do on a daily bases.
Lat year, during nine consecutive Wednesdays of grand jury duty, I had the opportunity to see the Bergen County sheriffs department in action, or should I say inaction, in and around the courthouse. The most charitable comment I can make about them is that they are rude and "unclever". They are a laughingstock among other court employees. McGuire is up for reelection this year. Let's hope he loses and is replaced by someone who will shape that bunch up.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Lat year, during nine consecutive Wednesdays of grand jury duty, I had the opportunity to see the Bergen County sheriffs department in action, or should I say inaction, in and around the courthouse. The most charitable comment I can make about them is that they are rude and "unclever". They are a laughingstock among other court employees. McGuire is up for reelection this year. Let's hope he loses and is replaced by someone who will shape that bunch up.
So you're saying there should be no law enforcement presence, at a courthouse? If one of the people on trial attacked an attorney, judge, or the jury, I think you'd change your tune about them being there. And yes, this DOES happen. It happened at the Ocean County court complex a couple months ago.

Also, you do realize guarding the courthouse is just one function of the agency, correct? Ugh, why should I even bother?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM

631 posts, read 719,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Courthouse sheriffs officers are only part of the overall department. Regardless I was making a comment on the overall ignorance the the post I quoted. Like any other departments at any other job I'm sure there are some who are terrible and milk the system.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:34 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
First off handy Andy is an actor - he was playing the part of Mayberry town law.

Now if you wish to know about sheriffs you travel your county roadways at a good speed of triple digits.

There is a huge difference between states as to the functions of a sheriff. Here is a link to what a Sheriff's responsibilities are (in NJ):

Sheriff This is one of the big responsibilities of the Sheriff's depts in NJ:
[SIZE=2]The Sheriff's Office is responsible for insuring that all school-age children are fingerprinted. The fingerprint cards are given to their parents to allow for future identification in cases of missing children.[/SIZE]

Old 10-08-2010, 02:16 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
There is a huge difference between states as to the functions of a sheriff. Here is a link to what a Sheriff's responsibilities are (in NJ):

Sheriff This is one of the big responsibilities of the Sheriff's depts in NJ:
[SIZE=2]The Sheriff's Office is responsible for insuring that all school-age children are fingerprinted. The fingerprint cards are given to their parents to allow for future identification in cases of missing children.[/SIZE]
You just go and pass a sheriff's patrol car at a hundred and ten and see what he/she does for you.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
Each country differs somewhat in their responsibilities of the department. The run the courts and the jail system and anything involved with that on the state levels. Most countries also look to the department for the specialized units that aren't economically feasible on a local level such as bomb and drug dogs, ESU, marine and scuba units among a few. Other areas already noted were the warrants.

One note, we print our own school children.....One of the more pleasant details.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:51 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,901,229 times
Not much. Same for the county police. Yet they are paid over 100K a year to patrol Ridgewood's Courts. No wonder NJ is in such financial trouble.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
Typical uninformed response. I find it amazing that the people in that state have no idea what any of the units of responsibilities.

By the way, the security at the Ridgewood court is handled by a security detail from the Ridgewood Police Dept. and not the BC Sheriff.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Here is official list of duties from Passaic County

Sheriffs Department (http://www.passaiccountynj.org/Departments/window-sheriffsdepartment.htm - broken link)

When my brother was alive he was a sheriff for Denver County in Colorado they also went to pick up fugitives that fled the state when arrested somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey