Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
The cost overruns are real.....
The right thing to do would be to bid the project out - get a consensus on actual cost and hold the builders to it - meaning they are liable for cost overruns. Why should the taxpayer continually bear the brunt of incompetence performed by bumbling contractors and the PA?
I like the idea of putting a cap on costs, and contracts can be written to make it unprofitable for contractors to keep coming up with overrun ideas, but "the PA"? This is a NJT project. The PA was only contributing money ($3 billion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
That means its time to move out of the area instead of cramming more people in. I'm glad the project is killed most of the jobs created from the project were given to connected cronies.

Christie did the right thing

GO CHRISTIE!! Run for president!
What's your evidence for that statement?

I know people who will be out of jobs from the cancellation of this project, and they are not connected cronies. Some of them have small children, and now they are out of work.

Besides, rest assured that Mr. Christie already has his own list of connected cronies and people owes favors to waiting to fill positions in various places whether they are qualified for them or not. He's no different than any other politician in that respect.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Exactly, growth is not always good. Look at some of the Southern states that grew too much and are now crippled with unemployment and extremely low wages.

NJ can't be compared to southern states. Jersey has a lot more going for it and is better equipped, job wise, to handle more people. The only thing holding it back compared to some states in the south and in the west is the infrastructure. Our roadways are very small for the population, so having trains pick up the slack is a good idea, they should just do a better good of planning.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
It'll be nice if the current train lines were kept up with frequent rides and affordable instead of this new tunnel thing which would mostly benefit people who live far out in the suburbs... what are they gonna use this for? Disappearing jobs in the city?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can use the Cross County line , to the PATH system once thats done you'll save at least 100$ on monthly pass. The Cross County line would run form Hawthorne to North Bergen and link up the Main line , Bergen line , Pascack Valley line and Hudson Bergen LRT network. It would use existing ROW and be diesel so this will be a cheap line , eventually the line will extend back to Sparta.
And how is that a direct, one train, commute into Penn Station?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
uhhh the 148 is a bus! and there are only 4 of them. They are packed/standing room only packed. Having done bus commuting for over a decade I know there is a difference between a bus commute and a train commute.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 AM

Once again, I'm selfish, I don't care what it costs. This state wastes billions every year on things that have no impact on my daily life. This would have not only cut 15 minutes off of my commute it would have increased property values in all off the towns on the Main and Bergen lines. So not only do I get to spend more time with my family and less time commuting, my house is worth more. I know this is not a popular position but I truly feel that all of this is just 1's and 0's anyway so if it can improve my life I'm all for it. It's a shallow and narrow minded view, I know, but in this case that's the my position on the tunnel.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
uhhh the 148 is a bus! and there are only 4 of them. They are packed/standing room only packed. Having done bus commuting for over a decade I know there is a difference between a bus commute and a train commute.
And then there's the fun of a bus in snowstorms or other bad-weather conditions, or a breakdown in the XBL...

Old 10-08-2010, 08:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Once again, I'm selfish, I don't care what it costs. This state wastes billions every year on things that have no impact on my daily life. This would have not only cut 15 minutes off of my commute it would have increased property values in all off the towns on the Main and Bergen lines. So not only do I get to spend more time with my family and less time commuting, my house is worth more. I know this is not a popular position but I truly feel that all of this is just 1's and 0's anyway so if it can improve my life I'm all for it. It's a shallow and narrow minded view, I know, but in this case that's the my position on the tunnel.
Whether or not people admit it, most personal opinions about where money is spent in this state is based on selfishness of all of us. I respect the fact that you are admitting it. I believe that if the people who are oppose to it was set to gain as many benefits from it as much as you would their comments would probably sound a lot like yours does.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
But CaptainNJ, you seem to forget that each and every commuter sitting in a seat on a train is one less car on the roadways, based on one passenger (the driver) in each car, which is not far from reality. If all those additional cars were on our roads, you would not be able to move, or breathe. No amount of road widening would be able to manage it.
i do appreciate that, id love for them all to get off the road to make my commute go by more quickly. but they have to pay for it just like i pay for my car, gas, auto insurance, etc. etc. and every company that i buy each product from is making a profit (or trying to).

let a private company build the tunnel, pay for the tunnel without any government help and let them charge a fare that allows them to earn a profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey