Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times

Advertisements

Instead of building new tunnels why don't they upgrade the PATCO trains which are the oldest in the nation and falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
I put all the 2040 plans into one map

New Jersey

Current system size : 570 mi
added Miles of DMU Rail : 160
added Miles of Electrified Rail : 78
added Miles of Diesel Rail : 567
added Miles of Intercity Rail : 133 < Amtrak lines

Added lines Planned / Proposed - 2040 plan

MOM network Freehold branch - 66 miles
MOM network Toms River line - 79 miles
West Trenton line - 58 miles
Philpsburg extension of the Raritan Valley line - 72 miles
Philpsburg line via Hackettstown - 82 miles
Pompton line - 30 miles
West Shore line - 39 miles
Pascack Valley line extension to Suffern - 37 miles
Graham line - 74 miles
Cross-County connector DMU - 15 miles
Sparta line DMU - 39 miles
Flemington line - 49 miles
Ocean City line - 74 miles
Cape May line - 91 miles
Lackawanna intercity line - 133 miles (Amtrak)
Glassboro - Vineland line DMU - 35 miles
Salem line DMU - 37 miles
Penns Grove line DMU - 30 miles
Riverline to West Trenton line DMU - 6 miles

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...1b8a4b028ec7cb

Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
This is the problem altogether, though. Should the entire state be put billions of dollars in debt just so a select few in North Jersey can have a shorter ride to work? That's absolutely insane to me, especially at a time when property taxes and the cost of living is so high that people are having to make the difficult decision of LEAVING New Jersey.

Additionally, the growth up north is NOT coming in the form of taxpayers. It's coming in the form of tax consumers. North Jersey's suburbs are built out. There is no more room for growth in any of these places. The growth is coming in form of low-income families, immigrants (legal and illegal) and others in the urban areas on effective welfare from the wealthy suburbs. The real suburban growth is occurring in central New Jersey at the moment. If they want to invest in ANY kind of rail lines, it should be the MOM line - not a "tunnel to nowhere" that will benefit a small number of people who can certainly "make due" with what we already have.

The way some of you people want to spend money when the state is ALREADY BROKE is just mind-boggling. Unless you're all multi-millionaires and can afford even HIGHER living costs in this state.
All of this goes back to only looking directly ahead of your feet, not the miles of road you have to walk.

This project is one of the best thing NJ can do to simultaneously stimulate the state's economy and lay the foundation for future growth, not to mention fed/ny is chip in billions to help. Canceling it will hurt NJ badly in the long run.

You made it sound like all the money for this project will just go down a garbage bin, when in fact they will generate tremendous economic benefit for NJ even while in progress.

And once finished, it will attract more business, which in turn more residents and growth to the state, that means long term income for NJ. For example, it's no accident the jersey city waterfront went from a wasteland into a major business/residential area attracting large companies/development and generating hundreds of millions in income for the state. It's because of the transportation option available in the area. Same goes for the many fortune 500 companies who setup shop near the njtransit corridor.

And no room for growth argument + only low income are coming here is just pure nonsense, where have you been in the last 5 years?

Most people here think just because they dont use the transportation, it's a good thing to kill it to protect their property tax. When in fact, it will hurt everyone long term. We will never get another opportunity to get such a project, many years in the planning, going again with both the fed/ny chipping in billions. It's truly a sad day for NJ. Also do you really think NJ will use the saved money from the cancellation to lower your tax instead of wasting it on pointless crap and paying off their supporters as they always have done. So clueless...

btw, i walk to work everyday so the trains doesnt affect me at all.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:55 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I guess I'm just selfish...I really wanted a direct commute, so I think this sucks. I could care less about the other rail projects since I don't utilize any of those services...I guess it's kind of how everyone else here, who is against the tunnel, feels...since it won't benefit them they are against it.
This is NJ so what was supposed to cost $8B would likely double in price and time. NO THANKS!

Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 AM

I do find the cost projects abit disturbing though , were did he come up with those numbers. Christies Team cited the Portal Bridge as the problem , but thats an Amtrak Project funded by the feds. Now the Transit community is starting to get worried and so am I. If he starts cancelling other popular projects like the Phillipsburg Extension , or MOM network then what? The Tunnel was flawed but the other projects aren't. I have a feeling the MOM network will be put on hold due to its very high cost and Capacity Restrictions. I have a feeling South Jersey is about to get screwed again.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I have a feeling South Jersey is about to get screwed again.
The state can only screw the South Jersey residents of the Philadelphia area so much until they start seeing a mass fleeing of South Jersey residents to PA.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:52 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
All of this goes back to only looking directly ahead of your feet, not the miles of road you have to walk.

This project is one of the best thing NJ can do to simultaneously stimulate the state's economy and lay the foundation for future growth, not to mention fed/ny is chip in billions to help. Canceling it will hurt NJ badly in the long run.

You made it sound like all the money for this project will just go down a garbage bin, when in fact they will generate tremendous economic benefit for NJ even while in progress.

And once finished, it will attract more business, which in turn more residents and growth to the state, that means long term income for NJ. For example, it's no accident the jersey city waterfront went from a wasteland into a major business/residential area attracting large companies/development and generating hundreds of millions in income for the state. It's because of the transportation option available in the area. Same goes for the many fortune 500 companies who setup shop near the njtransit corridor.

And no room for growth argument + only low income are coming here is just pure nonsense, where have you been in the last 5 years?

Most people here think just because they dont use the transportation, it's a good thing to kill it to protect their property tax. When in fact, it will hurt everyone long term. We will never get another opportunity to get such a project, many years in the planning, going again with both the fed/ny chipping in billions. It's truly a sad day for NJ. Also do you really think NJ will use the saved money from the cancellation to lower your tax instead of wasting it on pointless crap and paying off their supporters as they always have done. So clueless...

btw, i walk to work everyday so the trains doesnt affect me at all.
We already have too many residents..last thing we need is more

Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Exactly, growth is not always good. Look at some of the Southern states that grew too much and are now crippled with unemployment and extremely low wages.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Its called TOD or controlled dense development , its extremely popular and curves the population. Its opposite of sprawl and reduces congestion on the roads.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its called TOD or controlled dense development , its extremely popular and curves the population. Its opposite of sprawl and reduces congestion on the roads.
I understand that but NNJ is ALREADY densely populated.....
Not sure how I feel on the rail tunnel except that the price was mighty high & I don't believe we can afford it at this time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey