U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 6,298 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
I am in the process of opening a cupcake shop in middlesex county.
Can anyone suggest which of these towns will be a good choice for such a business.
South Brunswick
North Brunswick
Edison
Fords
West Windsor

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM

20,731 posts, read 25,648,558 times
i like cupcakes. not sure what the key is to success. i guess being cute for kids and for ladies to hang out with each other. so you want fancy ladies with kids. i dont think any of those places are too fancy.

ive seen this in brooklyn:
my little cupcake - Home

Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 AM

17,579 posts, read 35,456,885 times
A few articles recently have talked about the cupcake fad coming to an end.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,586,647 times
Please come to New Brunswick (specifically on George St)!!!!! Lots of college kids with sweet teeth!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 AM

2,705 posts, read 6,746,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICOLE22 View Post
Hi everyone
I am in the process of opening a cupcake shop in middlesex county.
Can anyone suggest which of these towns will be a good choice for such a business.
South Brunswick
North Brunswick
Edison
Fords
West Windsor

Thanks
I don't think you'll be successful in ANY of those towns. You need a walkable downtown, and none of the towns you listed have one. Look at: New Brunswick (Easton Avenue...you will do WELL there), downtown Metuchen, or maybe even Highland Park. I'd definitely recommend Easton Avenue, or George Street, in New Brunswick. I think that would be super successful. In all of the towns that you listed, I see failure.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM

What about downtown Princeton? Lots of rich folks walking around.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,298 times
Is PRINCETON FORRESTAL VILLAGE, Princeton, NJ 08540 a good place for cupcake business.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Is PRINCETON FORRESTAL VILLAGE, Princeton, NJ 08540 a good place for cupcake business.
I wouldn't think so. While there are some good restaurants there I don't think they get a ton of foot traffic.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:54 AM

1,185 posts, read 3,180,508 times
Quote:
Depends how much of a marketing budget you are willing to spend to hit up the companies on the other side of Route 1. All the "foot traffic" is really the lunchtime crowd from the companies that are in the various buildings across Route 1. Most of the people who work there, however, have in-house cafeterias or go out to the shops down in Plainsboro. Forrestal Village is problematic at best because of what is in and around it. You have a hotel that is usually used by the regional businesses for clients and there are meetings held there, but most are catered by the hotel. Salt Creek Grill and Ruth's Chris are two known restaurants, but both are "meh" as far as a draw for desserts.

Personally, I'd look at New Brunswick, especially in the new Gateway Center that is going up on Somerset Street or along George Street between Route 27 and Livingston Avenue. You may also want to look at the area in the Heldrich Hotel (fronting Monument Square on Livingston Avenue). FWIW, there is also the old City Bakery location along Easton Avenue which is about two blocks from Rutgers Campus. That place used to do great business on weekdays from the college kids and surrounding residents and on weekends from all the people stopping in after services.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Forrestal Village is a 720,000 square foot, 52 acre mixed-use retail and office complex in Princeton, New Jersey along Route 1. It is just north of Princeton University's Forrestal campus, whose name it is derived from. The center is anchored by Can Do Fitness (an upscale chain of fitness centers in the northeast) and a Westin hotel. In recent years, it has suffered a sharp decline, turning into a dead mall. Renovations and rebranding as an "office" complex are underway to bring customers back. The center has spawned some development in the area, including an adjacent office complex and several apartment and condo communities, including Princeton Windrows, which is right across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey