Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 PM

48 posts, read 134,537 times

Advertisements

We are new to NJ and currently rent near Chatham, NJ. Our lease will soon be up and we would like to find a new rental. These are my hopes...

To find a place that is and easy/safe commute to Kearny/Newark area. I would love the commute to be under 30 minutes. It currently is.

We need a 2-3 bedroom, at least 1400 sq ft with private garage/indoor laundry.

Safe area! Close to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods(both would be super).

We don't care which direction we go. Our current area is fine, just thinking there may be a better town for us. We currently pay $2000 for a 2 bdrm apartment...we would love to pay less.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
if you shopped at a normal supermarket instead of whole foods you could have some extra money to pay on rent.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:27 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if you shopped at a normal supermarket instead of whole foods you could have some extra money to pay on rent.
LOL, see if there's an Aldi's around there. Fill the house with food for $40!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
i do some aldi shopping. my primary place is costco but between trips ill stop off at shop rite, a&p or whoever has what i want the cheapest at the time.

the reality is that organic food is no more healthier than conventional foods, but they cost a lot more.

Is Organic Food Better for You?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:14 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
You are very close to the price of renting an entire house ...

are you moving kids?

whole foods and TJs are not necessarily always that near one another - so which do you like better?

there is a Whole foods in Montclair. There is also one in Paramus and Ridgewood. there is also one in west orange.

west orange and montclair are closest to newark.

what else are you looking for in a town....

Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
how do you know that it is not healthier... WebMD says its inconclusive.

nutrients aside what about the chemical fertilizers and pesticides we use on these foods, the hormones that go into the animals, etc. we end up eating them, it ends up running off and going into our water supply, etc.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
how do you know that it is not healthier... WebMD says its inconclusive.

nutrients aside what about the chemical fertilizers and pesticides we use on these foods, the hormones that go into the animals, etc. we end up eating them, it ends up running off and going into our water supply, etc.
it says there is no reason to believe they are healthier but they arent sure. considering its much more expensive, ill take the fact that they cant find any real benefits as that there is none.

there fertilizers and pestricides dont leave much with the fruit, only a little more than organic. though they are trace amounts that dont pose a health risk and you can further reduce that by washing the produce.

the hormones are also not an issue. its kind of funny because i know that when someone pretends the hormones are an issue i know they could never back that thought process up. so they may have a little extra testosterone or gh or something when they are developing, you wont see anything in the cooked product.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
LOL. Actually, I honestly have found that Trader Joe's is reasonable. I don't purchase groceries at Wholefoods-we have health issues causing me to frequent the store for supplies.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I love Aldi's. I didn't know there were any in NJ! Where?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
You are very close to the price of renting an entire house ...

are you moving kids?

whole foods and TJs are not necessarily always that near one another - so which do you like better?

there is a Whole foods in Montclair. There is also one in Paramus and Ridgewood. there is also one in west orange.

west orange and montclair are closest to newark.

what else are you looking for in a town....
Thank you. I guess I should never have mentioned my grocery preference. Let's forget about Whole Foods and Trader Joe's for now. We would like an area that is not too congested. I found Montclair to be fairly congested. Ridgewood sounds interesting. How about Westfield?

How south could we go without being too far from Kearny?

BTW- I do believe organic is important with some foods, but mainly I look at ingredients in a product. My favorite place for veggies/fruit is the Farmer's Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey