U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:04 PM

130 posts, read 596,489 times

Advertisements

Now we're talking! Thanks to everyone for all the input--it's exactly the info I'm looking for. I totally forgot about Madison...definitely worth checking out! Thanks! Will look into Denville and Ridgewood too...never been to either.

Never really considered Hunterdon Cty although my original post of "north" jersey was mainly to eliminate the shore towns. I'm really not familiar with central jersey or how far anything is to Morristown. But as Tahiti pointed out, I do really want a walkable downtown so it looks like H.Cty won't give us a lot of options that way anyway. I do remember Flemington having a cute outlet area but that's not really a working town imho.

Did my original post of "north" Jersey eliminate some really great central Jersey towns? Again, commutable to Morristown, safe, great schools, and walkable downtown?

Thanks again for all the input. Keep it coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,723,631 times
Thinking about it, Chester might be an option for you to take a look-see at as well.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Thinking about it, Chester might be an option for you to take a look-see at as well.
Chester's great. The price point is going to be tough though. I like Chester's "downtown" more than Mendham.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Chester's great. The price point is going to be tough though. I like Chester's "downtown" more than Mendham.
Agreed, I would pick Chester over Mendham but you are right about the housing cost.

Unfortunately, that price point is going to be tough in most of the towns mentioned.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:32 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times
At the risk of stating the obvious... Morristown has a walkable downtown with a great little square! Don't want to live there - Madison right next door is great.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
At the risk of stating the obvious... Morristown has a walkable downtown with a great little square! Don't want to live there - Madison right next door is great.
it's that pesky "top schools" issue that brings the obvious down though. madison's also going to be hard at that price point. the amenities the OP wants are what most ppl want, hence the high prices.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM

130 posts, read 596,489 times
Default Westfield to Morristown?

It's unreal that half a million dollars is a tough price point to get a nice house in a nice town with good schools! I kind of hoped that since the commute would be to Morristown instead of NYC, there would be some options in NW Jersey. Guess it's too "rural" to have trad'l downtowns?

In searching the MLS, it looks like we have more options in Westfield than I thought...even in comparison to many of the other towns mentioned. Especially if we stretch to the upper 500's. How long of commute would you all guess it would be from Westfield to Morristown?

thanks again everyone...this resource is a life saver!
Jess

Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnboys View Post
It's unreal that half a million dollars is a tough price point to get a nice house in a nice town with good schools! I kind of hoped that since the commute would be to Morristown instead of NYC, there would be some options in NW Jersey. Guess it's too "rural" to have trad'l downtowns?

In searching the MLS, it looks like we have more options in Westfield than I thought...even in comparison to many of the other towns mentioned. Especially if we stretch to the upper 500's. How long of commute would you all guess it would be from Westfield to Morristown?

Jess
I hear you. It's all the desirable traits that drive a price up. You can get a nice 4bdrm in my town, great schools, close to Morristown, but we don't have a "walkable" downtown. There is a center of town, but since it's circa 1750, no sidewalks.

anyway, westfield to morristown shouldn't be all that bad - I'm guessing no more than 40 minutes each way.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:03 PM

When you say you want a walkable downtown, do you want to live close enough to walk to downtown or are ok with driving there and then walking? If you don't need to actually live close enough to walk to it, you would have many more options with towns next to the ones with the great downtowns.

That was some run-on sentence eh?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,869,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnboys View Post

Jess

westfield is about 20 miles from morristown so to be safe
figure 30 to 40 minutes as Tahiti has said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or