U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 PM

877 posts, read 1,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
For all you people here on internet-land from New Jersey for a day or so try to be nice to someone, say hi for no reason or something, I just want to see the end result. Like who gives you a dirty look who tells you to f**k off. It can happen well I mean either way in a good one or negative one all I know is that the single females my age and a little younger are just..... well I guess I'll say ."see u... just plain rude and nasty.
I'm always nice to people and I generally hold doors and get thank yous. Jersey Girls, well, that's a whole different thing dude. I'm not crazy about them either. But would you really want to date someone like Snooki? I sure as hell wouldn't. Do you really want to go out someone who's nasty with that attitude? Not me. I've always gone for the fair soft-spoken types. Not a common thing in Jersey though, I'll give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM

4,080 posts, read 9,371,952 times
I lived in several parts on NJ, PA and now live in SC and have to say that NJ is not exclusive to rude people. They are everywhere but the most congested, faster paced areas people do seem to be less friendly. I think that's to be expected though. No offense to anyone but I in the more north central (more congested) parts like Middlesex, Union County for example, people do seem to be more in their own world. When I moved to Monmouth County it was a lot more laid back, people were friendlier and after being there awhile it almost had a small town feel becaue you run into people you know all the time. I moved to SC not to have a bigger house, I moved for better weather and lower taxes. I also became a Realtor in SC, so I know first hand that most people do not move here to have a bigger house, they do it mostly because of taxes and hoping for a better quality of life. That being said, you do get more for your money but people live a more simple life where I found in NJ most people want the best of the best. That's ok, whatever floats your boat and as long as a person can pay for it and not live on credit (hence our bad economy) then more power to you. As far as southern hospitality, I would take NJ honesty and upfront telling it like it is over a smiling face and back stabbing. It's nice here but I would say southern hospitality to me after 3.5 yrs seems mostly fake. At the same time, I have the best neighbor I've ever had and would do anything for us.

Most of the time in life, what you put out is what you get back. If you walk around with a frown, head down etc...you won't get friendly back but if you take the first step and smile, say hello then most of the time you will get that in return.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,155,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
So many people complain about how so many people in NJ are mean. Seems like the majority-
So wouldn't that make us mostly nice... You know, unless you're just mad other people are meaner than you.

NJ is being torn up in the media- And they're intentionally dramatizing the Italian culture, and making the Italian culture in NJ seem unruly. It's offensive and it's America that's giving these NJ stereotypes such high ratings- Not NJians.
We have shows like cakeboss that ACTUALLY portrays NJians in a positive light. Bust it's noit called "Jersey Cakes" so no one pays attention.

"Jersey Shore" is just a bunch of trashy NY trash, trashing up the Jersey Shore and making it NJ's mess (Better yet, it's NYers trashing up Miami, and it's STILL Jersey's mess). Theres also a whole new episode on "South Park" where NJ takes over the country- Mobs of guidos and all (this was based off the show Jersey shore)

So who's nice to Jersey exactly?
We've been the most teased state in the nation ever since NYC suburbs were created.

I agree with everything but the last comment, it's been since before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Like I said before, if you have a chip on your shoulder, all you're going to see is the negative.

I can sit here and regale you with tales of people cutting me off on the turnpike, people not letting me merge on the parkway, people tailgaiting me on Rt. ____.

I can sit here and tell you about the frowny-faced cashier at Target who didn't respond when I smiled and said "hi" at checkout.

I can sit here and tell you about the people in my neighborbood that have nothing but a frosty silent stare when I smile and say "Good morning".

I can sit here and tell you about all the people that never held the door open for me, and all the people who never said "Thank you" when I held the door open for them.

OR, I can choose to focus on the positive and tell you about:

The lady yesterday at Walmart who insisted I cut her in line because all I had was 1 item.

The people in my neighborhood that chat me up and say "Welcome to the neighborhood!"

The stranger who offered to drive me the rest of the way to the bus stop when she saw me running like a loon up the street...obviously late for the bus.

The guy today on Rt. 10 who let me into the flow of traffic when I was trying to get the heck out of Bed Bath and Beyond.

The lady who saw me struggling with a heavy box in the parking lot and told her husband to help me.

The person on the #77 who drew me a map...he drew me a map!...when I asked him for directions to get to so and so when I got of the bus.

And on and on.

For those of you who are saying that EVERYBODY in NJ is an a-hole to you...no offense, but you're either delusional, or, if everybody truly is an a-hole to you...maybe you deserve it because you get what you give.

awesome post!!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 PM

123 posts, read 96,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Be careful, Nicole. You might have the posters apart of Jersey Tourist board get mad at you. According to them, the Jersey attitude doesn't exist, Jersey drivers don't drive bad and most people here aren't mean, rude and angry, they're just honest with their feelings despite them having no reason to carry on the way they do.

You are not alone on this. I feel the same exact way. Jersey does have lot of annoying pricks that need love and hugs. You might encounter some cool people but they're the minority.

And I've heard tons of lame explanations too. "It's the transplants from New Yorrk" or "You're the one with the problem". That's all BS. I've been in this state for 20 years and I know how it is so all of that is BS.
Thank you, AngerintheNation, it seems that Nj always blames their problems on New Yorkers. ................

What I cannot understand is that there is a beautiful state next door, Delaware, which has no taxes, the people are very friendly, yet, I spent one week in Delaware and saw very few NJ plates. Go figure.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM

593 posts, read 933,758 times
BPerone201

Look, I have issues which are affecting me as a person. I not going to front like I don't have problems and what not. but I damn sure don't need anybody and i mean ANYBODY to make me feel worse than I already do. You guys are right. There's pricks everywhere but somehow over in your beloved state of New Jersey, the pricks don't know how to keep their prickishness to themselves. Now I'm NOT saying everybody here is a prick. There's good people but why the hell I always gotta run into a prick trying to get ME mad. I'm tired of that, man. Now see, I'm a good person despite what ya think and trust me, if I had my way with some of you pricks that I run into, I'd probably kill you. ya can go to hell or die slow if you think otherwise but I'm tired of dealing with the pricks. I don't deserve to have another persons attitude or ruining things for me so I'm just waiting for one of you pricks to test me on my bad day to see how I really feel about you and make you sorry. That's all I have to say.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM

And I don't mean to rant more and air my sorry miserable self but look, you have a problem or wanna be rude, keep that to yourself please because one of these days, instead of being polite and holding my temper back. I will just punch you in the face or beat you up. I'm tired of dealing with all you people acting like you want problems when you really don't want a problem. I'll give you something to rush away from if you want a problem.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,815,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
NJ (and New York) always get fingered first for having mean, rude, angry, road raging, inconsiderate, disrespectful and judgemental people, but having spent a lot of time in certain southern and midwestern states...all I have to say is, IT'S ALL A GIANT MYTH. There is plenty of kindness in NJ. If you have a chip on your shoulder, ALL you'll notice is the negative, while the positive flies right over your head. I'm GRATEFUL to live in NJ. I'll take any form of perceived NJ "rudeness"...guido, ghetto, yuppie or preppie...over 2-faced fake southern "hospitality" or sanctimonious good ol' fashioned midwestern "family values" anyday.

As far as bad driving and road rage...I dare you to spend an afternoon driving around certain parts of Georgia or Texas...you'll realize how good we have it here. I'd rather drive in bumper to bumper traffic on Rt. 17 on a Saturday afternoon with a full bladder and a migraine than drive in any of those places. It's not perfect here, but it's by no means the worst in the country. At all.

The midwest is more old fashioned, and it is family centered. It is not an act, or a show put on for others as you suggest. We certainly are not two faced. The reason New Jersey has the reputation that is does is because the people there come off as hard, and very urban to those who are not used to the east coast. When ever I have been there people do seem to be rushed, use harsher language than what you would find in my tiny Michigan town. People on the east coast in general do not talk to strangers as much or practice small talk. I get the feeling that the pace of life there does not allow for that. I did not find the people there to be mean however, they just are different. Urban life on the east coast teaches people to be less trusting, less open and more hurried. With the cost of living so high, the pursuit of career and money is not a sign of materialism and greed, but it is necessary just to survive there. In the midwest we have the luxury of taking life slower, we have the luxury of being able to trust others and open ourselves up to strangers. However the cost of this to us is the fact that we do not have as much access to culture and urban ammenities as you do living in an east coast state like NJ. Chicago is the only midwestern city that offers anything close to what the east coast has. I am 5 hours northeast of Chicago metro so I rarley see anything like that.
New Jersey does seem to bare the brunt of the northeastern stereotypes, even though many northeast states are similar. I think Hollywood is your worst enemy. Is Jersey shore making your rep worse??? Youbetcha it is.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,525,464 times
Quote:
BPerone201

Look, I have issues which are affecting me as a person. I not going to front like I don't have problems and what not. but I damn sure don't need anybody and i mean ANYBODY to make me feel worse than I already do. You guys are right. There's pricks everywhere but somehow over in your beloved state of New Jersey, the pricks don't know how to keep their prickishness to themselves. Now I'm NOT saying everybody here is a prick. There's good people but why the hell I always gotta run into a prick trying to get ME mad. I'm tired of that, man. Now see, I'm a good person despite what ya think and trust me, if I had my way with some of you pricks that I run into, I'd probably kill you. ya can go to hell or die slow if you think otherwise but I'm tired of dealing with the pricks. I don't deserve to have another persons attitude or ruining things for me so I'm just waiting for one of you pricks to test me on my bad day to see how I really feel about you and make you sorry. That's all I have to say.
Quote:
And I don't mean to rant more and air my sorry miserable self but look, you have a problem or wanna be rude, keep that to yourself please because one of these days, instead of being polite and holding my temper back. I will just punch you in the face or beat you up. I'm tired of dealing with all you people acting like you want problems when you really don't want a problem. I'll give you something to rush away from if you want a problem.
I really can't judge you, but wanting people to die, want to beat someone up, or punched in the face is an issue- No place is THAT bad. And saying "you pricks" (Addressing this at me) is a sign of bottled up anger. I'm not a prick
Do you want more people in NJ to think like you do?

Last edited by BPerone201; 10-11-2010 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I really can't judge you, but wanting people to die, want to beat someone up, or punched in the face is an issue- No place is THAT bad. And saying "you pricks" (Addressing this at me) is a sign of bottled up anger. I'm not a prick
Do you want more people in NJ to think like you do?

When I said, you pricks. I wasn't talking to you. I don't know you so you're misunderstanding or reaching thinking I'm addressing you. I'm talking about some of the people I've encountered offline. You know something. I understand if I was an ahole where I done mean things to people my whole life. I'm not perfect but hey, I don't deserve the hate or the rudeness especially if I'm being nice to you. I'm actually warped in my mind so I take things the wrong way where I'm paranoid. Where I said people have to be like me? Be who you are but just don't **** me off wrongfully. If I'm rude, then yeah but if not, then you gave me the right to spaz on you.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 AM

131 posts, read 257,784 times
"With the cost of living so high, the pursuit of career and money is not a sign of materialism and greed, but it is necessary just to survive there."

- I totally agree with that statement! I was just watching HGTV last night with my husband and the show was called, "My First Place." I could not believe the nerve of some first time homebuyers in their early 20's who had the choice of 3 big houses, at least 3000 SF that were all priced at around 250,000 and 350,000. And all they could complain about was that some rooms were small and there were no granite countertops! maybe they should open their eyes and see what 350,000 will buy you in a decent neighborhood in Jersey!.....I would be living like a queen in other states!....my point about this story is, that I think that because there is such a high cost of living here, we are in a constant rat race and rush to survive, with no time for anyone. I don't think NJ is rude-just a very hustle and bustle-kind of state, because we have to maintain our standard of very expensive living!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey