U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,862,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
yes, I've said this before, and it always baffles me. We're pegged as the materialistic a-holes, but the NUMBER 1 reason people I see on this board leaving NJ is because they can buy the house twice as big as they are living in right now in <insert new state du jour here>. So if you move from NJ for a larger house, it's in the name of "quality of life", but if you live here and....well, if you just live here, it's obvious you're an obnoxious a-hole who lives and breathes for $$$$.
I think this is both generalizing and exaggerating. I don't see anyone saying they are leaving to get a house that's TWICE AS BIG as what they now have. What I see are people saying they need more space, but cannot afford it in NJ.

I also haven't seen many folks calling people a-holes ... there are just a few who seem to have anger management issues.

I myself am considering a house in Northern NJ, but the taxes are incrediblly high for what will be my retirement income, so I am also considering a move out-of-state, and DE is on my short list.

That does not mean I will buy a house TWICE AS BIG in DE as the one I might go for in NNJ. No matter WHERE I look, I want to keep the house size at around 1,500SF, and I want a lot that does not need lawn and shrub maintenance ... something with natural ground cover is my choice. I don't want a lot of unneccesary maintenance and cleaning to take up my retirement time.

FWIW, I am currently in an apartment that has about 950SF, so I am not looking to double the size. I realize you did not say EVERYONE, but you said that doubling the size is the number one reason you see. I just don't see that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,309,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
Thank you, AngerintheNation, it seems that Nj always blames their problems on New Yorkers. ................

What I cannot understand is that there is a beautiful state next door, Delaware, which has no taxes, the people are very friendly, yet, I spent one week in Delaware and saw very few NJ plates. Go figure.
Getting to Delaware (or Debellaware as I call it) is a PITA from NJ from my experience. There's only two direct connections, the Delaware memorial bridge, and the Cape May-Lewis Ferry. It's a pain getting to the bridge for most of us, and it's in a relatively unpopulated area, and the ferry is an even bigger pain and costs more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
"With the cost of living so high, the pursuit of career and money is not a sign of materialism and greed, but it is necessary just to survive there."

- I totally agree with that statement! I was just watching HGTV last night with my husband and the show was called, "My First Place." I could not believe the nerve of some first time homebuyers in their early 20's who had the choice of 3 big houses, at least 3000 SF that were all priced at around 250,000 and 350,000. And all they could complain about was that some rooms were small and there were no granite countertops! maybe they should open their eyes and see what 350,000 will buy you in a decent neighborhood in Jersey!.....I would be living like a queen in other states!....my point about this story is, that I think that because there is such a high cost of living here, we are in a constant rat race and rush to survive, with no time for anyone. I don't think NJ is rude-just a very hustle and bustle-kind of state, because we have to maintain our standard of very expensive living!!!!
I agree, I go nuts watching some of these people. The houses they look at could easily go for $500,00+ in my area.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:56 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,897,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I think this is both generalizing and exaggerating. I don't see anyone saying they are leaving to get a house that's TWICE AS BIG as what they now have. What I see are people saying they need more space, but cannot afford it in NJ.

I also haven't seen many folks calling people a-holes ... there are just a few who seem to have anger management issues.

I myself am considering a house in Northern NJ, but the taxes are incrediblly high for what will be my retirement income, so I am also considering a move out-of-state, and DE is on my short list.

That does not mean I will buy a house TWICE AS BIG in DE as the one I might go for in NNJ. No matter WHERE I look, I want to keep the house size at around 1,500SF, and I want a lot that does not need lawn and shrub maintenance ... something with natural ground cover is my choice. I don't want a lot of unneccesary maintenance and cleaning to take up my retirement time.

FWIW, I am currently in an apartment that has about 950SF, so I am not looking to double the size. I realize you did not say EVERYONE, but you said that doubling the size is the number one reason you see. I just don't see that at all.
i've been on the boards a long time......a *much* bigger home is the #1 reason people leave. double? maybe not. much bigger? yeah. my *only* point is that you see "moving from NJ for the big house" = quality of life. "staying in NJ and having the big house" = materialism.

you don't need to defend your choices, i'm not judging you, or sandee or anyone else. i know why people leave and why people stay. i have no thoughts positive or negative about DE (well, negative when they rape you for $5 to go those 10 miles on I95 - that's why the taxes are so low! LOL) - I only know about the "land lease" thingy they have going on in some developments.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,862,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i've been on the boards a long time......a *much* bigger home is the #1 reason people leave. double? maybe not. much bigger? yeah. my *only* point is that you see "moving from NJ for the big house" = quality of life. "staying in NJ and having the big house" = materialism.

you don't need to defend your choices, i'm not judging you, or sandee or anyone else. i know why people leave and why people stay. i have no thoughts positive or negative about DE (well, negative when they rape you for $5 to go those 10 miles on I95 - that's why the taxes are so low! LOL) - I only know about the "land lease" thingy they have going on in some developments.
Point taken tahiti ... OK. And as for that land-lease thing ... YEAH, that's something I DEFINITELY want to avoid. But it IS possible to avoid. DE has fee simple, too. Just gotta look for it.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM

22,617 posts, read 28,478,239 times
you get what you give for the most part. if you run into a lot of people that are mean to you, then you may want to start looking at yourself. very rarely are people mean to me.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM

593 posts, read 1,394,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you get what you give for the most part. if you run into a lot of people that are mean to you, then you may want to start looking at yourself. very rarely are people mean to me.
This is BS. What do you have to say about all the people that come from other states that say that Jersey people are mean?

But yeah, for the most part, I think it depends on who you run into because some people I encounter are cool and others, I would just wanna punch in the face.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:15 PM

22,617 posts, read 28,478,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
This is BS. What do you have to say about all the people that come from other states that say that Jersey people are mean?

But yeah, for the most part, I think it depends on who you run into because some people I encounter are cool and others, I would just wanna punch in the face.
i think there are areas where they are more friendly and some may perceive nj peope as "mean" when in reality they just arent as helpful as people in some other areas. but that doesnt change my premise that people in nj arent mean to you (for the most part) unless you are mean to them (sometimes you may even give off a mean vibe or attitude and you dont even know it). you are someone who is probably going to get people being mean to you because you are an angry negative person.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:34 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,578,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post

NJians are a lot less sensitive. You do know nj has the lowest suicide rates in the nation right? I mean how bad could it be?

There's plenty of common courtesy here. I just dont expect people to especially care for me on a daily basis- especially in some of the more heavily populated areas. People in NW Jersey are generally very nice and happy.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM

7,953 posts, read 16,745,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
NJians are a lot less sensitive. You do know nj has the lowest suicide rates in the nation right? I mean how bad could it be?

There's plenty of common courtesy here. I just dont expect people to especially care for me on a daily basis- especially in some of the more heavily populated areas. People in NW Jersey are generally very nice and happy.
Did some research on this. BPerone is right, I learned a lot from making this map:
why are people from NJ so mean?-suicide.jpg

It would seem to me the rates correlate to educational attainment plus income.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM

59 posts, read 214,027 times
Might be because a lot of people aren't natives of NJ anymore. Since 9/11, a lot of people from NY and other states have moved in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey