Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, on the way to a meeting in Newark, I came across a dead American goldfinch lying on the sidewalk across the street from Newark Penn. It was just lying there on its side, eyes closed, but intact. Maybe it flew into the window of a building there or something. Pretty bird with a lot of yellow on it. I felt kind of sad for a little while after seeing it.

Wasn't until just before that the symbolism hit me--the American Goldfinch is New Jersey's state bird!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 01:43 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yesterday, on the way to a meeting in Newark, I came across a dead American goldfinch lying on the sidewalk across the street from Newark Penn. It was just lying there on its side, eyes closed, but intact. Maybe it flew into the window of a building there or something. Pretty bird with a lot of yellow on it. I felt kind of sad for a little while after seeing it.
Yeah, this kind of thing makes ME sad, too. A few months ago, there was a baby pigeon at work, that the parents stopped feeding. It was too young to fly, and might have been thrown from the nest by the parents (maybe it was sick?). Well, the poor lil guy keeled over a few days later ... just kinda fell forward onto his beak, and never moved again. I HATE pigeons, but I was really choked up about this baby's passing.

Quote:
Wasn't until just before that the symbolism hit me--the American Goldfinch is New Jersey's state bird!
Hmmm ... Bad forbodings! Can we blame CC for this, too?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM

23,446 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Default goldflinch

That is so Darwinian.

The gene pool is cleansed, the species is now stronger.

Fortunately thousands of other state birds avoided that reflective glass window to be regaled in living spendor as the avian symbol of NJ lives on.

If you come across a dead horse, that might have more symbolism in regard to NJ's reputation.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Yeah, this kind of thing makes ME sad, too. A few months ago, there was a baby pigeon at work, that the parents stopped feeding. It was too young to fly, and might have been thrown from the nest by the parents (maybe it was sick?). Well, the poor lil guy keeled over a few days later ... just kinda fell forward onto his beak, and never moved again. I HATE pigeons, but I was really choked up about this baby's passing.

Hmmm ... Bad forbodings! Can we blame CC for this, too?
Awww, nice to know I'm not the only wuss about those things.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
That is so Darwinian.

The gene pool is cleansed, the species is now stronger.

Fortunately thousands of other state birds avoided that reflective glass window to be regaled in living spendor as the avian symbol of NJ lives on.

If you come across a dead horse, that might have more symbolism in regard to NJ's reputation.

OK, I can get with that! NJ will SURVIVE Newark! YEAAAH!

I like the dead horse symbol, although I'd be a little freaked if I walked past a dead horse on a McCarter Highway sidewalk. And hey, horse-racing in NJ is heading for the glue factory, isn't it?

Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times
Quote:
I'd be a little freaked if I walked past a dead horse on a McCarter Highway sidewalk.
Don't some of the cops patrol on horseback under the habitrails connecting Penn Station to Gateway? (I thought I saw some there a few years back.) I wouldn't be too surprised, figuring it just got hit in Newark crossfire.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Don't some of the cops patrol on horseback under the habitrails connecting Penn Station to Gateway? (I thought I saw some there a few years back.) I wouldn't be too surprised, figuring it just got hit in Newark crossfire.
LOL, I haven't seen any, but I don't have to go there all the time.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:47 PM

96 posts, read 349,996 times
For years Newark's slogan was Where the Goldfinch Go to Die

I never thought to take it literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey