Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,581,100 times

Advertisements

According to CD, Paterson is roughly the following...56.4% Hispanic, 29.6% Black and 10% White. OK. That makes sense. However, there is a lot of talk about a growing Middle Eastern population in Paterson, especially South Paterson. However, according to CD only 1.8% of Paterson is of Arab heritage. Most of that 10% "white" population appears to be of European descent...Laregly Hillcrest and Manor District. However, according to a recent 20/20 special on Islam, Paterson has the second largest Islamic population in the country. Now I KNOW all Muslims are not from the Middle East. Many are European, Indian, Indonesia, African, etc. Hence, the "Arab" population means little in finding out the overall Islamic population. But I still do not understand the following...

1. I see a lot of Middle Eastern stores and shops in South Paterson whenever I drive through there. I find the 1.8% being Arab an undercount. Do you all agree? Wouldn't the Arab population of Ptown be closer to 5 or 6 percent?

2. What is the total Islamic population of Paterson? CD states it is around 9%. Is this accurate? Does that make it the second largest Islamic community in the US after Deaborn MI? If the Islamic population really is 9% of the city's population, how would that pop. break down by ethnicity? Ex. how many are Indian, Asian, Euroepan, Middle Eastern Muslims? I am sure that it is an estimate since the Census Burueau does not collect data on Religion.

3. when did the Islamic influx begin? Any stats?

I am just curious about the Islamic population in Ptown because I live not too far away and Paterson's Islamic community was briefly discussed on 20/20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 PM

87,956 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
According to CD, Paterson is roughly the following...56.4% Hispanic, 29.6% Black and 10% White. OK. That makes sense. However, there is a lot of talk about a growing Middle Eastern population in Paterson, especially South Paterson. However, according to CD only 1.8% of Paterson is of Arab heritage. Most of that 10% "white" population appears to be of European descent...Laregly Hillcrest and Manor District. However, according to a recent 20/20 special on Islam, Paterson has the second largest Islamic population in the country. Now I KNOW all Muslims are not from the Middle East. Many are European, Indian, Indonesia, African, etc. Hence, the "Arab" population means little in finding out the overall Islamic population. But I still do not understand the following...

1. I see a lot of Middle Eastern stores and shops in South Paterson whenever I drive through there. I find the 1.8% being Arab an undercount. Do you all agree? Wouldn't the Arab population of Ptown be closer to 5 or 6 percent?

2. What is the total Islamic population of Paterson? CD states it is around 9%. Is this accurate? Does that make it the second largest Islamic community in the US after Deaborn MI? If the Islamic population really is 9% of the city's population, how would that pop. break down by ethnicity? Ex. how many are Indian, Asian, Euroepan, Middle Eastern Muslims? I am sure that it is an estimate since the Census Burueau does not collect data on Religion.

3. when did the Islamic influx begin? Any stats?

I am just curious about the Islamic population in Ptown because I live not too far away and Paterson's Islamic community was briefly discussed on 20/20.
I think I saw that episode. I was always under the impression that most of South Pat's Muslims were Palestinian, but I don't really know if that's true.

Not sure when they first started moving in...I would guess 1980's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey