U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,421 times

Advertisements

Has anybody heard of the Union Center redevelopment plans? Is the town center destined for a comeback? The city council designated the Union Center (Morris&Stuyvesant) as a redevelopment area, as the Metro Planning company has suggested after their long study, but many downtown storeowners protested the decision, as they think it'll lead to the township acquiring their properties through eminent domain and turning them over to flagship retailers to move into downtown. Any thoughts? Is Union center a good place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM

28 posts, read 114,342 times
I am a Union resident and have noticed alot of the shopkeepers with the stop eminent domain signs in their windows. I does appear it's in the planning stage. I do love the stores - but it looks as if Union wants to turn it self into an upscale downtown. What it has going for it is decent municipal parking.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:24 PM

44 posts, read 244,273 times
I grew up in Union. Nice town and it's nice to have a center of town. remember (I moved about 15 yrs ago) the town was up in arms because New York business people were buying up the properties in town and raising the rents, so all the businesses wereclosing up and some would open and close within 6 months. Some sat empty. Since then I think it has changed. It's very pretty, cobble stone sidewalks and benches, parking was always good.

You don't want to live in the center though. Lots of other alternatives, it's a big town. Also, I don't know if you havekids; it's been awhile for me and I don't know how the schools are these days. good luck!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 AM

857 posts, read 1,766,965 times
i'm also considering moving to union. seems like a good value to me. The schools aren't so great, and there's a not-so-great area of town (seems to be north of morris ave - particularly the northwest corner, the vauxhall section), but i don;t have kids yet, so i'm not too worried about it. There's some really nice neighborhoods. Everybody takes care of their property, well-kept lawns, many upgraded houses. Very reasonable prices. I think it's the quality of the schools that holds it back.
If you read up on the star ledger's union township forum - NJ.com: Union Twp. Forum
it seems that the overall sentiment is that the town "ain't what it used to be". That is, the town center used to be bustling, the schools great, and now - there's a lower class of people moving in. Seems that lots of people live there b/c of the good value on property, but send their kids to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or