U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:14 PM

18 posts, read 116,784 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I am getting married next year. My fiance and I are both NJ natives from Middlesex boro (I live in North Hunterdon district now) and we are trying to decide where to start looking for a house. I work in Berkeley Heights and he works in Middlesex County. We are looking for a house in the 250K - 350K price range in north/upper central Jersey area. I love Middlesex but I might want to look further north. I was looking into Clifton, but i heard the crime was getting bad there. I am also looking into Phillipsburg, but that might be too far of a commute. We don't have kids (yet) but the most important thing to us is the crime. Please give us some ideas! Nice town, not too expensive, not bad crime!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 02:12 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,869,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynNJ View Post
Hi everybody!

I am getting married next year. My fiance and I are both NJ natives from Middlesex boro (I live in North Hunterdon district now) and we are trying to decide where to start looking for a house. I work in Berkeley Heights and he works in Middlesex County. We are looking for a house in the 250K - 350K price range in north/upper central Jersey area. I love Middlesex but I might want to look further north. I was looking into Clifton, but i heard the crime was getting bad there. I am also looking into Phillipsburg, but that might be too far of a commute. We don't have kids (yet) but the most important thing to us is the crime. Please give us some ideas! Nice town, not too expensive, not bad crime!! Thanks!
Since you are familiar with middlesex
Take a ride around the Inman Hgts,Milton Lake or Hospital Sections of Rahway which is next door to Middlesex in Union County .It is not as far north as you would like but there are still affordable homes in those areas
You can do a google search on Rahway and see what is going on here

Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM

26 posts, read 157,767 times
Default help With House Hunting?

Woodbridge is an awesome town with low crime, so is certain parts of rahway and linden, Besides essex, North jersey is very expensive. you will get most value for your dollar in middlesex or union.

Hope this helps guys goodluck

Old 07-06-2007, 05:42 AM

10 posts, read 34,012 times
Katelyn,

I would check out The more southern areas of Middlesex county like Old Bridge and Sayreville or the more Northern areas of Monmouth county like Middletown or Hazlet. Crime is very low and the commute should be no more that 30-40 minutes to your jobs.

Good Luck

Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,573,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeValueNJ View Post
Katelyn,

I would check out The more southern areas of Middlesex county like Old Bridge and Sayreville or the more Northern areas of Monmouth county like Middletown or Hazlet. Crime is very low and the commute should be no more that 30-40 minutes to your jobs.

Good Luck
those 2 are great towns to live in but the commute up the parkway can be horrendous, and forget about getting home on fridays during the summer, they'd be better off finding a home closer to where they work, there are some nice towns around bridgewater that would be better choices

Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,343,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
those 2 are great towns to live in but the commute up the parkway can be horrendous, and forget about getting home on fridays during the summer, they'd be better off finding a home closer to where they work, there are some nice towns around bridgewater that would be better choices
I wouldn't decide where to live based on 8-10 Fridays of the year. I second the vote for the Middlesex County towns.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:29 AM

687 posts, read 2,911,610 times
There are many homes (a lot of condos and townhouses) in your price range in Sayreville and Old Bridge right now. Nothing fancy, but nice.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:43 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,949,306 times
personally, I would not commute from southern Middlesex (Sayreville, etc) to Berkeley Heights - yuk. have you looked into Califon, High Bridge or Glen Gardner? They are the more reasonably priced towns with low crime in Hund. Cnty. You can also get a townhome or small house in Wash. Twsp (Morris) and still have a decent commute.

I wouldn't consider P'burg - run down and depressing, IMHO.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,573,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I wouldn't decide where to live based on 8-10 Fridays of the year. I second the vote for the Middlesex County towns.

I was talking about the MONMOUTH towns that were suggested, and unless you've had the pleasure of trying to drive home towards the shore on any friday night from the end of May until mid September, I don't think you'd shrug it off so easily. The ride home coould extend into a 2 hour ride, not the 30-40 minutes the op posted

Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,343,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I was talking about the MONMOUTH towns that were suggested, and unless you've had the pleasure of trying to drive home towards the shore on any friday night from the end of May until mid September, I don't think you'd shrug it off so easily. The ride home coould extend into a 2 hour ride, not the 30-40 minutes the op posted

Don't assume I haven't. The pleasure some people get from living in the shore area may outweigh the inconvenience of summer traffic so I don't think the area should be dismissed so quickly. And I know you were talking about the Monmouth towns-I just prefer the Middlesex towns that's why I said I second them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or