U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM
pvs

1,494 posts, read 1,443,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
Agreed, it's an EASY job..

What the hell is someone getting OT for this for?
Well, not as easy as being at a checkout counter at WalMart.

When somebody works more than 40 hours in a week, it is considered OT. Or do you believe this should be time donated for free?

Quote:
PVS, how hard is it to keep track of what kind of vehicle comes through your toll booth, ESPECIALLY if that's what your duties require you to do all day?
You'd be surprised at the complexity. It's sometimes very hard to see if the truck has a trailer, especially in inclement weather. Sometimes there's a fine line to be drawn with overweight or oversized vehicles. Granted, this IS the job, and people are trained to do it. I just wanted to let you know that it's quite different from blindly scanning a barcode and letting a register tell you the sum of the transaction. All of the calculations must be done in the head ... there is no automated register telling you what to charge, or how much change to give.

Top that off with the fact that there is absolutely NO DOWN TIME for the person in the booth, so yes, it becomes quite a balancing act to try to reconcile the drawer at the same time the traffic is bearing down on you. You do NOT have a cash-register type of device that's keeping track for you.

Quote:
Which toll stop do you work for? $80K plus OT?? Scientists and financial analysts make less than that you parasite.
I don't. I used to, 30+ years ago, and quit after 6 months. I was making minimum wage at the time, as ALL temps do (and NO benefits) Sorry about your financial analysts, bankers and stock brokers, you moron. THEY are the ones who are REALLY raping the system, along with the politicians, insurance companies, and lawyers. But there ain't a politician alive who will dare go after them.

Quote:
In other news, the vanishing middle class in NJ can't afford some of the highest taxes in the nation because these idiots got a bonus for working on their birthday.
Not ALL the agencies have this rule. I agree, it's pretty pathetic.

Last edited by pvs; 10-21-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 02:59 PM

326 posts, read 459,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Well, not as easy as being at a checkout counter at WalMart.
How many Wal-Mart employees do you know receive over $300,000? Exactly. (Although you'll probably start comparing Wal-Mart executives and CEO's with toll collectors.)

It's an EASY job that requires no formal education, and you expect them to leech $80,000 + Overtime from citizens who already pay some of the HIGHEST taxes in the nation?

And yet, they STILL can't get it right!

Toms River woman sues E-ZPass, claiming she was overcharged for horse trailer

Toms River woman sues E-ZPass, claiming she was overcharged for horse trailer | NJ.com

Ahh good old EZ Pass, created and further endorsed by tolling authorities for further "Birthday Bonuses," and $$$$$ in scholarships for toll operators' the kids.

How generous of NJ taxpayers!

Last edited by newjitty; 10-22-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
pvs

Quote:
How many Wal-Mart employees do you know receive over $300,000? Exactly. (Although you'll probably start comparing Wal-Mart executives and CEO's with toll collectors.)
I have no argument with you here. I have never expressed that I believe the $300K figure is anything but ludicrous and unjustifiable.

Quote:
It's an EASY job that requires no formal education, and you expect them to leech $80,000 + Overtime from citizens who already pay some of the HIGHEST taxes in the nation?
Well, not college education, but they DO need to take several weeks of job-specific training, and then they are on a minimum wage as they go through a probationary period, at least in the agency where I had worked.

As I stated a few messages before you came into this thread, http://www.city-data.com/forum/16342029-post24.html (around the middle), I agreed 80K is on the high side, and FWIW, I posted summary info from the ACTUAL salaries from 2009 PANYNJ toll collectors a few messages above that one http://www.city-data.com/forum/16334948-post13.html ... Info that I downloaded from seethroughny.com. That data showed the average salaries at $56K (and $68.5 for seniors). Average means that half of the members were below that level, and half above.

Whether you believe these figures are still too high is your call. But I remind you that these same toll collectors must also pay NJ's highest property taxes (if they live in NJ, granted). Salaries for many jobs in the tri-state region are considerably higher than other parts of the country, expressly for that reason.

Quote:
And yet, they STILL can't get it right!

Toms River woman sues E-ZPass, claiming she was overcharged for horse trailer

Toms River woman sues E-ZPass, claiming she was overcharged for horse trailer | NJ.com

Ahh good old EZ Pass, created and further endorsed by tolling authorities for further "Birthday Bonuses," and $$$$$ in scholarships for toll operators' the kids.
Yeah I get PO'd at the bennies and bonuses in some of these agencies, too. It IS ridiculous. But really newjitty, the story you linked shows that the HUMAN toll collector might be a better option. And maybe the job isn't well-done by a machine.

Really, this thread is about EXTREMEMLY high payments for a middle of the road ( pun intended ) job, and some unbelievably ridiculous bonuses and bennies. If you want to bring it to EZ-Pass, I think you should create a separate thread. You can't possibly blame the collectors for the failings of the equipment that is being delivered to replace them.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 AM

326 posts, read 459,510 times
Quote:
As I stated a few messages before you came into this thread, http://www.city-data.com/forum/16342029-post24.html (around the middle), I agreed 80K is on the high side, and FWIW, I posted summary info from the ACTUAL salaries from 2009 PANYNJ toll collectors a few messages above that one http://www.city-data.com/forum/16334948-post13.html ... Info that I downloaded from seethroughny.com.
Those are still pretty high considering:

a) this is a job that doesn't require any formal education whatsoever.

b) these are as you say - salaries, meaing they don't include birthday bonuses, holiday bonus, unused sick day bonus, benefits subsidized by taxpayers, kids' scholarships (yes, really), $430,000 in free EZ-Pass transponders, unused vacation days, "snow removal" bonuses, etc etc.

Bottom line: Add it all up, they are extremely overpaid considering the simple (yes, simple - how hard is it to count an axle or decide if the number of people in the car meet the carpool requirement?) duties required.

Quote:
But I remind you that these same toll collectors must also pay NJ's highest property taxes (if they live in NJ, granted). Salaries for many jobs in the tri-state region are considerably higher than other parts of the country, expressly for that reason.
Did you ever stop and think that maybe one of the reasons the taxes in NJ are so high may just be to support overpaid state/local gov't employees? Oh sweet irony.

I'm sure they don't MIND paying such taxes because a larger percentage of it goes back to them, as opposed to private employees, since that's how their income is derived - from other people's money.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:33 AM

5,263 posts, read 7,174,577 times
I just don't understand it.
Like what could they possibly be thinking letting a toll collector earn a salary higher than the governor himself? Is this some sort of mind game the govt is playing to make it seem like you don't need HS education to be wealthy?

The reasoning for all of this is probably disturbing.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:52 AM

3,794 posts, read 4,292,751 times
Quote:
Average means that half of the members were below that level, and half above.
Just for clarity, that is not at all what the "average" means. The average is the "mean" of the set, so if you took all the numbers, added them, and divided by the quantity of numbers then you have the average or MEAN. There could be 5 people making less and 100 people making more, all depending on the outliers.

What you are thinking of is the MEDIAN, not the mean (average). If you look at the MEDIAN salary, THEN half the people make more and half the people make less. This is different than the average or "mean".

I'm sure a google search of "mean, median, and mode" could explain it better than I can, but you get the gist.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:30 AM

6,825 posts, read 3,651,984 times
Default keep pulling on this thread, don't stop here

Ah, but this is a dangling thread of no importance in the larger scheme of things.

Keep pulling on that thread to unravel the weave of the fabric that is the welcome matt to a multitude of similar unsavory situations.

What would we discover if all state contracts were reviewed? Aside from the inability to negotiate who knows what shady collusion would be uncovered along with legal loopholes that produce legal piracy.

Let there be light on the deals and contracts that NJ freely hands out with no regard to taxpayer money.

There needs to be a moratorium on state taxes based on the incompetence of state, municipal bureaucrats and legislators.

First, mine the labrynth of state business to stop and desist waste of .

Let's not treat the toll takers in the same fashion Obama, Cuomo etc went after the AIG guys who received bonuses. That was pure propaganda, totally ineffective and on Cuomo's part, borderline vigilante justice.

If you have a problem at one level of an organization, you need to go up at least one level higher to find the source of the problem.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 AM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Just for clarity, that is not at all what the "average" means. The average is the "mean" of the set, so if you took all the numbers, added them, and divided by the quantity of numbers then you have the average or MEAN. There could be 5 people making less and 100 people making more, all depending on the outliers.

What you are thinking of is the MEDIAN, not the mean (average). If you look at the MEDIAN salary, THEN half the people make more and half the people make less. This is different than the average or "mean".

I'm sure a google search of "mean, median, and mode" could explain it better than I can, but you get the gist.
And for my own clarification, the method I used was for the mean (bolded above). You can get the individual raw numbers right off of seethroughny.com if you want to do the math yourself.

So AnesthesiaMD, sorry I didn't make it clear which forumula I used, but I DO know the difference, and used the correct terminology.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 AM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Ah, but this is a dangling thread of no importance in the larger scheme of things.

Keep pulling on that thread to unravel the weave of the fabric that is the welcome matt to a multitude of similar unsavory situations.

What would we discover if all state contracts were reviewed? Aside from the inability to negotiate who knows what shady collusion would be uncovered along with legal loopholes that produce legal piracy.

Let there be light on the deals and contracts that NJ freely hands out with no regard to taxpayer money.

There needs to be a moratorium on state taxes based on the incompetence of state, municipal bureaucrats and legislators.

First, mine the labrynth of state business to stop and desist waste of .

Let's not treat the toll takers in the same fashion Obama, Cuomo etc went after the AIG guys who received bonuses. That was pure propaganda, totally ineffective and on Cuomo's part, borderline vigilante justice.

If you have a problem at one level of an organization, you need to go up at least one level higher to find the source of the problem.
VERY WELL PUT, Kracer. I don't know why there aren't sites that make this data available for NJ, as SeeThroughNy.com | Home does for NY agencies. Then folks would get a much more accurate picture of where their tax dollars are going.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 AM

26,222 posts, read 18,692,758 times
Just a picky point here, and I could be wrong, but what would toll collector salaries have to do with state taxes? Wouldn't they paid out of NJ Turnpike revenues?

For the record, Christie is actively reviewing contracting practices and awards--I know for a fact he has specifically been doing that for the Turnpike Authority, as well as for other agencies. It boggles my mind that pay-to-play is actually still legal in New Jersey. There are more limits than there used to be, but IMO, this should not exist at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey