Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,796 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been living in an apt for 7 months and I have signed a lease for 11 months. The lease has my detail info for my ssn and my DOB. The problem is my landlord hasnt given me a copy of the lease. I trusted him till now. But he hasnt given me the copy in 5 months and when I asked him again this month, he says that there is no lease between us and I shall leave the apt by end of this month. He has my deposite and I fear that he wont return me the deposite since he denies to show any lease.

I have paid him by check and on all the checks I have mentioned the reason as a rent. My questions is, is it legal in NJ to rent an apartment without a lease, if thats is allowed then there is nothing I can do abt it since I dont have a copy of the lease but if its not then I can fight with him legally.
Please advice me if there is anything I can do for saving my money.

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,137 times
Get an attorney. I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. I don't think it is illegal to rent an apartment without a lease-certainly not wise, but not illegal. However, since you have been paying (and a good thing by check) what has been understood as rent, you may have some legal recourse even if your landlord is going to insist there is no lease. I think it's an "implied contract". May be difficult to establish, but I'm sure an attorney would be able to help you. I don't think you have a lost cause.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
It is not illegal, it is called month to month. That said he can not verbally tell you to vacate by the end of the month he must do it in writing, with I believe a minimum of 30 days. If you do not vacate he must start eviction proceddings and you go to court.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Default Link for NJ Tenant/Landlord Laws

Search around in this link:

New Jersey Landlord Tenant Security Deposits Evictions

Old 01-22-2009, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,507 times
need help look i am haveing problems with our lanlord she has been picking on every body in our apts but i guess she has a real problem with people comeing over to visit , let me tell you a little about our sit we live in i guess you can call it apts funded thru FMHA and we have low rent at this since me and my wife are disabled now but the problem is the landlord does not like my son or any one else that comes and visits but our lease says that we can have visitors for 14 days at a time but she does not abid by her own lease and says that my son is banned from here so she came to our apt and started raising all kind of heck because my son stoped by to eat supper then he was going to go home and i tried to explain that to her but she did not want to here what i had to say all she would say is that im calling the police and i said fine call the police and im going back upstairs and call them myself so they came and she told them that she wants my son banned from here and they came upstairs and talked to me and i showed them my lease and they told her that they could not do anything about this because we have done nothin wrong , but since we are disabled we cannot hire a attorney , can anyone help with this Please ??????

Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 10,558 times
i ask my lanlord for a copy of the complaints that where filed against me and refuses to give them to me because afraid he covering something up so i know who has gruge against me and so i can file a complaint against them for lying i should know who said thease things

Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Actually I don't think they have to disclose names. No one would make any complaints even if true if the person they were complaining about could get their name and come after them. I do think he should show you what the complaints were though, if not who made them. If it's going to court I'm sure you will have a chance to hear what the complaints were.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,558 times
Wink lease agreement

according to my lease agreement all complaints must either be mailed or taped to the door and i am so be notifyed about the complaint incase is there something i need to correct

Old 04-26-2010, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,935 times
My roommate has got signature on our apartment lease. He is going back to his country and won't come back and he is not paying rent after he leaves. I am under co-leased. We owe half-half rent for each of us. Am I responsible to pay full rent after my roommate leaves? Also my landlord did not allow me the paper that I signed in. Please help me. I cann't afford to pay full rent.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
Default Help~ Should I pay my lat months rent with all the recurring issues Ive had??

I have been living at an Apartment for almost 3 years now and I am refusing to my last months rent. Reasoning behind that is because when we first moved in, they went through several different managers, they said every month all apartments would get insect spraying, power wash for the buildings, and trash pick up. Through out the time we have been here, we have only seen a power wash once, havent been sprayed for bugs in atleast 8 months, and the maintenance stopped picking up little trash off the premises making our area looking like white trash. I constantly have problems with our upstairs neighbors and nothing is ever done. For the first 8 months we lived here, Our upstairs neighbors were having sex all night everyday. Literally!! I cant sleep in my room with my fiance because I am so creeped out. Op top of that... She cant control her kid so he stomps ALL DAY LONG AND ALL NIGHT LONG...Managers will not do anything at all~! I am in the worst area of the apartments because 3 times my next door neighbor's apartment has gotten broken into, there are sex prediators and drug dealers at our apartment, Someone was looking in our apartment window at me and my daughter when my fiance was at work, the kids around here flash other kids, vandalize, and throw their trash bags in the woods... Its absolutely dreadful and wasnt like this when we moved in. Its been horrible and I dont know what to do. There have been reoccurring issues that management refuses to solve and they wont even give me coorperates phone number. I cant let my daughter play outside because the kids take her toys and wont give them back, The kids are rude and nasty, and I am so afraid to let my daughter walk outside even when we are leaving to go somewhere.... I need advice and help because we dont know what to do Should I pay rent after all the problems and issues that I have had??

We were supposed to pay our rent on the 15th and My fiance's dad said he doesnt think that we should pay it. So we havent. But we are waiting for them to issue an eviction notice.. Are we able to fight that with all the problems that we have had?? I just dont no what to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey