U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-22-2010, 07:13 PM
pvs

1,483 posts, read 1,344,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I was in a portable tree stand about 15' above the fox.
Ground level shots are nicer but so hard to get.....
tHANKS kRACER. THAT IS one excellent shot!!! I love the fog, and the way you captured the fox, framed within the fog, with the hint of the trees in the distance. This must have made one beautiful print.

I have a few shots myself. I hope you don't mind if I share a couple here in this "An example of NJ's diversity..." thread. These are also pics from right here in "the garden".

Racoons (my wife took this pic)

A House Wren (with earwigs)

A Great Heron (watching the painted turtles)

A Frog (I stepped on him, and he wound up in my sandal. As U can see, he was just fine)

Some Springtime Ducklings (I think they were imprinting on me)

A Majestic Bluejay (all puffed up and nowhere to go)

Hope you enjoy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-22-2010, 07:18 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Great photos Kracer. Where's the rats and smokestacks.
LOL, you MIGHT find some on this thread: NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread

Reminds me ... I've got some pics I want to post over there.

Unread 10-22-2010, 07:24 PM

6,443 posts, read 3,317,126 times
Show me more !

I had a pet raccoon and have a bunch of neat photos and memories, so your coon photo really struck home with me. Great shots! What a unique photo!

Those bold wrens make great subjects.

As to the rats and smokestacks, there was this pharma company who used to incinerate the rats from the daily acute studies. Each morning there would be the telltale smoke and odor.

Check out my album for more Nj critters

Thanks for the compliments.

Unread 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM
pvs

Very Very nice album, Kracer. You have an excellent eye! I LOVE the oppossum shots, and the goose in the morning sunlight. Amazing stuff. I didn't get to look at them all, but I'll be back.

The racoons ... they were babies being excavated from a chimney next door to our place. My wife took the cam and snapped that while I was at work. Can't believe that shot! She gets some good ones!

As for mine, I have a bunch more ... mostly bird pics, but those are some of my best. Haven't had a chance to take out the photo equipment in a couple of years. But I MIGHT be retiring soon, so I might start taking more pics soon.

Unread 10-23-2010, 07:17 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,426,020 times
Oh wow, Kracer & PVS---great pics!

You know, the red fox is cute but when they scream like banshees late at night, they kind of creep me out. For a long time, I didn't even know it was red fox that were making the screaming sounds...I thought either that the woods were haunted or I was crazy.

Unread 10-23-2010, 09:36 AM

6,443 posts, read 3,317,126 times
Yep those pups do scream! Keep in mind, the young of the year, Great horned owls make a quite similar sound. Screech owls, for as tiny as they are, have made me and the dogs leap up from a sound sleep and wonder who was murdered.

A good way to tell the fox from the owls is if the sound stays clear and moves from 'distant' location to location. the fox sounds will be muffled depending on which way it was facing and tend to move in a gradual line.

Indeed all these critter can make your hair stand on end....that term would be 'piloerection' to be correct.

Within a couple of weeks the bucks will be deep into rut, as in love, and they will be quite vocal with croaking and grunting sounds. At a distance a big buck with his nose to the ground looks like a hound at a distance. They make the wildest grunting sound just as you imagine a pig would make. So if your walking in the woods and hear a distant grunting getting closer, you better step aside because they have only one thing in mind.

Unread 10-23-2010, 02:30 PM
pvs

KRacer: Where do you live, that you're able to see this many types of wildlife? Don't need to be specific, just a genral location. Your album pics are great! Wish I could get a few subjects like that to shoot (with the camera, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey