U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 PM

26 posts, read 158,000 times

Advertisements

I am really confused lately about the "state" of the state of Nj. On one hand I read its going downhill with gang activity and of course the soprano jokes I put up with from out of towners.

On the other hand I live in Woodbridge which is a pretty awesome town. I feel safe ,there isnt much crime and the school system is pretty cool. In fact as a transport from NYC dare I say I like New Jersey.......

There are great perks to living in New Jersey and if you cant find a nice town in NJ, you should probably get a new realtor or avoid the jersey bashers.

New jersey is a pretty cool state..or to quote a song.

"gotta admit its gettin betta, gettin betta all the time"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,580,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguynj View Post
I am really confused lately about the "state" of the state of Nj. On one hand I read its going downhill with gang activity and of course the soprano jokes I put up with from out of towners.

On the other hand I live in Woodbridge which is a pretty awesome town. I feel safe ,there isnt much crime and the school system is pretty cool. In fact as a transport from NYC dare I say I like New Jersey.......

There are great perks to living in New Jersey and if you cant find a nice town in NJ, you should probably get a new realtor or avoid the jersey bashers.

New jersey is a pretty cool state..or to quote a song.

"gotta admit its gettin betta, gettin betta all the time"
I guess you don't care about the confiscatory taxes, the crowds and despite what you say, the increasing crime throughout the state

Old 07-06-2007, 05:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,149,934 times
Having grown up in Woodbridge, I can say that it's all a matter of perspective.

If you're coming to Woodbridge from NYC, sure it seems like a good town- but if you grew up there and watched it change over the past 30 years, you look at it differently. I watched the section of Avenel that I grew up in change for the worse, watched the downtown Iselin shopping area turn into a Middle Eastern/Asian bazaar (and that's not a dig on anyone- just commenting on the fact that it's changed dramatically), and seen areas like Port Reading, Hopelawn, and Keasby turn to crap. Even downtown Woodbridge has done almost nothing to improve itself over the years.

Don't get me wrong- for the price and the convenience to NYC via train, you can't bear Woodbridge- I'd take it over Rahway, Linden, or Elizabeth anyday. But I'd say calling it "pretty awesome" is a bit of a stretch.

Bob

Old 07-06-2007, 06:26 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,998,809 times
To quote another song "We didn't start the fire" - I don't feel this state is any worse off than when I became an adult and started supporting myself. My personal situation is better over the past howevermany years, but then again, I take responsibility for my well being and making sure I have a good job with benefits, decent pay, and don't live beyond my means.

<shrug>

I've traveled this country several times over, and it ain't any better anywhere else - each state has its own pile of sh** to deal with. Depends on which sh**pile doesn't stink as much in your view.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:35 AM

10 posts, read 34,053 times
The area that I grew up in New Jersey has definitely gotten better. I grew up in Hazlet during the 80's and almost every town in that area (Hazlet, Middletown, Union Beach, Keyport, Matawan, Aberdeen ect) were lower Middle class towns. Even Holmdel was affordable then to your average business professional. Going out to dinner meant going to the diner. Nowadays there are upscale shops all around..Property values have skyrocketed and the population is mainly professional people. Downtown areas in Red Bank, Keyport and Atlantic Highlands have been revitalized. The school districts are all very good.

Looking from a strictly quality of life point of view, There have been nothing but positives in my opinion.

The issues of huge costs and the moral issues of gentrifying the areas it a totally different subject.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeValueNJ View Post
The area that I grew up in New Jersey has definitely gotten better. I grew up in Hazlet during the 80's and almost every town in that area (Hazlet, Middletown, Union Beach, Keyport, Matawan, Aberdeen ect) were lower Middle class towns. Even Holmdel was affordable then to your average business professional. Going out to dinner meant going to the diner. Nowadays there are upscale shops all around..Property values have skyrocketed and the population is mainly professional people. Downtown areas in Red Bank, Keyport and Atlantic Highlands have been revitalized. The school districts are all very good.

Looking from a strictly quality of life point of view, There have been nothing but positives in my opinion.

The issues of huge costs and the moral issues of gentrifying the areas it a totally different subject.
joe, yes the whole area has been "upgraded" but is that really a good thing? the trade of is that crime is up, traffic can be real bad, try using rt 35 through holmdel, taxes are sky high, and I don't agree with your assessment that the schools are great, check out the state report cards, most of the area high schools are well below state average

Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,349,631 times
I like NJ too, but sshhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone

Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,998,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
traffic can be real bad, try using rt 35 through holmdel,
huh? i drive through there several times a week - it's not bad at all.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
huh? i drive through there several times a week - it's not bad at all.
it's all relative, did you ever drive through there 20 years ago? have you had the pleasure of trying to use the jughandle at laurel ave and have to wait 2 or 3 cycles to get through?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 AM

12,949 posts, read 24,111,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
To quote another song "We didn't start the fire" - I don't feel this state is any worse off than when I became an adult and started supporting myself. My personal situation is better over the past howevermany years, but then again, I take responsibility for my well being and making sure I have a good job with benefits, decent pay, and don't live beyond my means.

<shrug>

I've traveled this country several times over, and it ain't any better anywhere else - each state has its own pile of sh** to deal with. Depends on which sh**pile doesn't stink as much in your view.
Have to agree...every state has it's own set of problems and to be honest some states have really quirky laws from a Jersey Girl's point of veiw LOL

Crime is everywhere unless you go to a deserted island there is no escaping it...some areas worse then others..

On the whole I don't think jersey is all that bad...I like it and when I buy our "retirement" home I do not plan on cutting ties here..still keeping my house and becoming a snow bird leaving only a few months to escape the winters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or