Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,712 times

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, I'd like people to just throw their opinions on here regarding the following towns. (Remember, your opinion can be about anything in those towns, i.e. education, community/safey, family/child/teen activities and involvement, crime, gangs, smog, scenery, teen pregnancy/suicide, climate, price of homes/taxes, traffic/commute....you name it).

Here goes:

Denville
East Hanover
West Milford
Verona
Lafayette
Sparta
Parsippany
Randolph
Vernon
Pequannock
Pompton Lakes
Pompton Plains
Butler
Riverdale
Kinnelon
Ringwood
Branchville
Jefferson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,496 times
I saw that no one replied to this, so I'm just bumping it up for you. I don't know anything about those towns, (I'm from another part of the state), but hopefully someone here can help you.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:22 AM

14 posts, read 43,434 times
Default West Milford

Hi, I was looking at houses around those areas too. I was very interested in West Milford, until I heard about all the ghostly happenings in that town. Go to wikipedia, and type in West Milford or Old Clinton Road. I'm a big scaredy cat, so that made me cross off that town quick.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater80 View Post
Hi, I was looking at houses around those areas too. I was very interested in West Milford, until I heard about all the ghostly happenings in that town. Go to wikipedia, and type in West Milford or Old Clinton Road. I'm a big scaredy cat, so that made me cross off that town quick.

I've been told West Milford is a big White Aryan area. Yuk.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:57 PM

76 posts, read 443,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've been told West Milford is a big White Aryan area. Yuk.
Hey! Your information was warranted, but the "Yuk" was not! Let's try it another way: That town is a blacker than black area. Yuck.

WTF? If you meant that they are white pro-Aryan neo-Nazi types, then you should watch your typing, or else spare us your racist bullsh*t.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ K View Post
Hey! Your information was warranted, but the "Yuk" was not! Let's try it another way: That town is a blacker than black area. Yuck.

WTF? If you meant that they are white pro-Aryan neo-Nazi types, then you should watch your typing, or else spare us your racist bullsh*t.

What are you talking about? What you wrote doesn't even make sense. Thaiti said yuk to it being an Aryan area, which seems quite appropriate to me.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:33 PM

76 posts, read 443,956 times
Wow, I didn't realize you had to be a historically oppressed group to find racism inappropriate! But you say you don't understand what my post even meant, so maybe you're missing how I read the comment; I read "yuk" as "yuck," as in disgusting. Maybe I'm missing something; maybe it was intended as yuck-yuck, as in, "ha ha," but I didn't read it that way, because usually people on the web type "ha ha" if that's what they mean.

If the "disgusting" meaning was the intent, I should clarify that "aryan" simply means a blonde hair/blue-eyed caucasian phenotype, not that they're neo-Nazis who have a PRO-Aryan racist attitude. If the residents are the latter, that's what the post should say. I don't see a problem in alerting someone to racial demographics, but I object to someone saying YUCK at those people's ethnicity.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:56 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ K View Post
Wow, I didn't realize you had to be a historically oppressed group to find racism inappropriate! But you say you don't understand what my post even meant, so maybe you're missing how I read the comment; I read "yuk" as "yuck," as in disgusting. Maybe I'm missing something; maybe it was intended as yuck-yuck, as in, "ha ha," but I didn't read it that way, because usually people on the web type "ha ha" if that's what they mean.

If the "disgusting" meaning was the intent, I should clarify that "aryan" simply means a blonde hair/blue-eyed caucasian phenotype, not that they're neo-Nazis who have a PRO-Aryan racist attitude. If the residents are the latter, that's what the post should say. I don't see a problem in alerting someone to racial demographics, but I object to someone saying YUCK at those people's ethnicity.
OMG - WTF are you talking about? I meant "white aryan" as skinhead hitler worshipping a'holes. If THAT doesn't warrant a YUK, I'm not sure what does.

BTW - I'm blonde/blue eyed, if that makes any difference whatsoever. Please don't read into what isn't there.

ETA: here's *my* definition of white aryan:

Aryan: Definition and Much More from Answers.com (look at #4 - you know, the one that's NOT the one considered "no longer in techincal use")

or

Aryan - definition of Aryan by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (same)

or

White Aryan Resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So please, go pick a fight somewhere else. It's laughable I'm being called a racist.

Last edited by tahiti; 07-07-2007 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 09:13 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,214 times
Post Googled term Aryan

I'm bored so I did a Google search for "ARYAN".

Because of ethnolinguistic arguments about connections between peoples and cultural values, "Aryan" peoples were often considered to be distinct from Semitic peoples. By the end of the nineteenth century this usage was so common that "Aryan" was often used as a synonym for "gentile", and this popular usage persisted even after academic authors had ceased to use the term in any other meaning than "Indo-Iranian". Among White supremacists the term still sometimes functions as a synonym for non-Jewish "white person."

The Aryan race was a term used in the early 20th century by European racial theorists who believed strongly in the division of humanity into biologically distinct races with differing characteristics. Such writers believed that the Proto-Indo-Europeans constituted a specific race that had expanded across Europe, Iran and India. This meaning was, and still is, common in theories of racial superiority which were embraced by Nazi Germany. This usage tends to merge the Sanskrit meaning of "noble" or "elevated" with the idea of distinctive behavioral and ancestral ethnicity marked by language distribution. In this interpretation, the Aryan Race is both the highest representative of mankind and the purest descendent of the Proto-Indo-European population.

From the late 19th century, a number of writers had argued that the Proto-Indo-Europeans had originated in Europe. Their opinion was received critically at first, but was widely accepted by the end of the nineteenth century. By 1905 Hermann Hirt in his Die Indogermanen (incidentally consistently using Indogermanen, not Arier to refer to the Indo-Europeans) claimed that the scales had tilted in favour of the hypothesis, in particular claiming the plains of northern Germany as the Urheimat (p. 197) and connecting the "blond type" (p. 192) with the core population of the early, "pure" Indo-Europeans. This argument developed in tandem with Nordicism, the theory that the "Nordic race" of fair-haired north Europeans were innately superior to other peoples. The identification of the Proto-Indo-Europeans with the north German Corded Ware culture bolstered this position. This was first proposed by Gustaf Kossinna in 1902, and gained in currency over the following two decades, until V. Gordon Childe who in his 1926 The Aryans: a study of Indo-European origins concluded that "the Nordics' superiority in physique fitted them to be the vehicles of a superior language" (a belief which he later regretted having expressed).

The idea became a matter of national pride in learned circles of Germany, and was taken up by the Nazis. According to Alfred Rosenberg's ideology the "Aryan-Nordic" (arisch-nordisch) or "Nordic-Atlantean" (nordisch-atlantisch) race was thus a master race, at the top of a racial hierarchy, pitted against a "Jewish-Semitic" (jüdisch-semitisch) race, deemed to be a racial threat to Germany's homogeneous Aryan civilization, thus rationalizing Nazi anti-Semitism. Nazism portrayed their interpretation of an "Aryan race" as the only race capable of, or with an interest in, creating and maintaining culture and civilizations, while other races are merely capable of conversion, or destruction of culture. These arguments derived from late nineteenth century racial hierarchies. Some Nazis were also influenced by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky's The Secret Doctrine (1888) where she postulates "Aryans" as the fifth of her "Root Races", dating them to about a million years ago, tracing them to Atlantis, an idea also repeated by Rosenberg, and held as doctrine by the Thule Society. Such theories were used to justify the introduction of the so-called "Aryan laws" by the Nazis, depriving "non-Aryans" of citizenship and employment rights, and prohibiting marriage between Aryans and non-Aryans. Though Mussolini's fascism was not originally characterised by explicit anti-Semitism, he too eventually introduced laws pressed upon him by Hitler, prohibiting mixed-race marriages between "Aryans" and Jews.

Nazi use of the term "Aryan" was wildly inconsistent with the claimed meaning. Roma, of Indian descent and language, were classified non-Aryan, while the Japanese were made honorary Aryans during World War II. In effect, "non-Aryan" ended up very nearly meaning, "insufficiently nationalistic".

Because of historical racist use of Aryan, and especially use of Aryan race in connection with the propaganda of Nazism, the word is sometimes avoided in the West as being tainted, in the same manner as the swastika symbol. In the English language, the word "Aryan" is no longer in technical use to refer to an ethnic group or race, and the popular use of the term to mean "white person" fell out of favour during the 1930s when the obvious obsession of the Nazis with the word became a matter of ridicule in Britain and North America. In the USA, the established and less contentious term "Caucasian" became dominant in official usage. Currently, India and Iran are the only countries to use the word Aryan in a demographic denomination. This usage, however, carries no racist connotations. Aryan is also a common male name in India, Afghanistan, and Iran.

The word Aryan is still used to refer to race within white power and white nationalist circles.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,214 times
Talking Back on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Out of curiosity, I'd like people to just throw their opinions on here regarding the following towns. (Remember, your opinion can be about anything in those towns, i.e. education, community/safey, family/child/teen activities and involvement, crime, gangs, smog, scenery, teen pregnancy/suicide, climate, price of homes/taxes, traffic/commute....you name it).

Here goes:

Denville
East Hanover
West Milford
Verona
Lafayette
Sparta
Parsippany
Randolph
Vernon
Pequannock
Pompton Lakes
Pompton Plains
Butler
Riverdale
Kinnelon
Ringwood
Branchville
Jefferson
Hey there-
I didn't want to overlook the fact that you asked a question..I wish I could comment about these towns but honestly after 40 years of living in NJ, I can't say that I can recall even visiting any of these towns. Way too North for me. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey