Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
T'is better we have cheap gas today, and let our kids and grandkids pay for it later.

Yeah ... his priorities are precisely in the right place!
NOT
Thats my future , most of the people who run this state and country will be dead in a few decades...... They keep saying they care about us , its all a bunch of hogwash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
People whose experience is primarily public sector engineering and contract administration work, (thinking of the only people I know personally who will lose their jobs over ARC), may not so easily find other work, at least not similar work, since all the public agencies are cutting their own present staff right now.

Yes, hopefully they will find work SOMEWHERE, but have you not noticed that there is this huge unemployment problem right now? "They'll just have to look" is a "let-'em-eat-cake" kind of statement.

If you've been following this conversation, the general agreement is that we don't need to add more debt, but that there was hope for additional federal and/or even private funding to complete the project.

As some have noted, not everyone was in agreement that the plan and design was the right one. I'm pretty confident this project will reappear in some form at a future time.
Well said mightyqueen That is generally what I wanted to rant about when I started this thread lol

Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM

858 posts, read 707,680 times
so the ball is in Christie's court now. What is NJ doing with the 3 billion we were going to spend on this? what is NJ doing with the 3 Billion that the federal government was going to invest in this? If my math is correct, Christie has now turned down 3.4 BILLION dollars ($400 mil from race to the top and $3billion from this) that would help the state, improve the state, given people jobs. The only thing Christie has done which he says will create jobs is veto the tax on millionaires. how's that working out for the common citizen of NJ?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
so the ball is in Christie's court now. What is NJ doing with the 3 billion we were going to spend on this? what is NJ doing with the 3 Billion that the federal government was going to invest in this? If my math is correct, Christie has now turned down 3.4 BILLION dollars ($400 mil from race to the top and $3billion from this) that would help the state, improve the state, given people jobs. The only thing Christie has done which he says will create jobs is veto the tax on millionaires. how's that working out for the common citizen of NJ?
LOL, Jersey doesn't GET the $3 billion that was coming from the federal government. As a matter of fact, we have to pay back the $600 million of it that we already spent.

I don't know what the plans are for the $2.7 billion that was budgeted for Jersey's share of the tunnel project.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
People whose experience is primarily public sector engineering and contract administration work, (thinking of the only people I know personally who will lose their jobs over ARC), may not so easily find other work, at least not similar work, since all the public agencies are cutting their own present staff right now.

Yes, hopefully they will find work SOMEWHERE, but have you not noticed that there is this huge unemployment problem right now? "They'll just have to look" is a "let-'em-eat-cake" kind of statement.
People have to be willing to expand their horizons when the economy is tough. My father is a contractor and began to add more services to his business when the economy slowed in order to stay afloat. If you're having trouble in your field, you may have to consider other options (which millions of Americans have done). Easier said than done of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightqueen801
If you've been following this conversation, the general agreement is that we don't need to add more debt, but that there was hope for additional federal and/or even private funding to complete the project.

As some have noted, not everyone was in agreement that the plan and design was the right one. I'm pretty confident this project will reappear in some form at a future time.
The current plan would have added to the debt, even if there were some infusions of federal and private funding. If it reappears, hopefully the state will be in a better financial position.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
T'is better we have cheap gas today, and let our kids and grandkids pay for it later.

Yeah ... his priorities are precisely in the right place!
NOT
Odd that you say you're concerned about the future considering this project you support was a financial mess.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
If it reappears, hopefully the state will be in a better financial position.
It will HAVE to be in a better financial position, since it will surely cost far more in the future.

Oh well.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:

Send this to your friends. I hope they find something. NCDOT: Careers, Testimonials, The Right Decision

Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Odd that you say you're concerned about the future considering this project you support was a financial mess.
I ask you to name ONE long term mega-project in the history of the USA that was not "a financial mess" at the beginning, and that actually was completed within the time and dollars that were originally budgeted.

If all our previous "leaders" were as shortsighted, we wouldn't currently have ANY bridges or tunnels connecting the United States. This is at best a cowardly move by CC, and at worst, it shows his possible collusion with the oil industry. He's doing everything he can to ensure that more people use cars than public transportation.

If the sheeple would wake up, maybe they'd realize he's doing nothing but increasing the rift between the haves and the have-nots. His aim is to eliminate the middle class and further empower the rich. Name ONE of his recent decisions that does not support this allegation!

Last edited by pvs; 10-28-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Let the MTA pay for it. Why should taxpayer dollars go to this cause? It will not bring in new toll money, as it is an alternate route and will definately reduce congestion. I'm not against creating the jobs, only where it's being funded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey