U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
South Plainfield is a good safe town - except maybe the areas right on the border of Plainfield. S. Plainfield is tiny but the S. Plainfield cops keep it very safe.
I recently saw a home on Irving St.( between Clinton and New Brunswick Ave.) and it is still South Plainfiled but close to Plainfield should i be concern raising 2 young girls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 PM

11 posts, read 54,101 times
South Plainfield is a great choice...it is a great town. Please don't let others scare you about being close to Plainfield. You are moving no where near the area of Plainfield that has issues. People who do not live in Plainfield tend to exagerate Plainfield's crime. South Plainfield is a great community with great down to earth people and a very home-town like environmment. You will also be very close to your new job! Best of luck!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 AM

21 posts, read 123,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFLgirl View Post
If you live in South Plainfield you can feel superior to the poor souls who live in Plainfield.

This is actually unfair and not true. The section of Plainfield that actual neighbors South Plainfield is not crime-ridden at all and some blocks are pretty. Now...the section that borders Scotch Plains and Fanwood is pretty dangerous. In South Plainfield you would be very far away from the scariness.
i would have to disagree to that. If you have lived there during the riots you would know what iam talking about. There is no part in Planfield That is safe just becuast its pretty. you walk down front street in both s plainfield and plainfeild at nght and tell me if you feel safe. Plus Once you cross the hamilton blvd bridge in sp yo got like a mini slum over there where cleaning it up now. The intersection of clinton and 7th is horrable and dont tell me that thats not sp. Sooner or later all the crap is gonna end up here. ill give it about 10 years befor it starts going down hill. all the gangs are allready starting to spill over and into the schools. i dont feel safe in the town but its up to you, if you dont bother anyone then youll be fine.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM

21 posts, read 123,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconley65 View Post
I also think referring to "gun shots" and "poor people" is a very unfair statement. It amazes me how snobby people view others of social and economic imbalance. There are some very good areas with good people in South Plainfield and North Plainfield. I live in Fanwood and I have never felt threatened or in danger at my home or when I have had to go to Plainfield for business or shopping, but I also don't hold any social/economic prejudice.
untill you see someone get shot right in front of you, or you get robbed.
for most of the bums in plainfield its their own fault

Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM

531 posts, read 1,914,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLPD333 View Post
The intersection of clinton and 7th is horrable and dont tell me that thats not sp.
The NW corner of Clinton and 7th is Piscataway.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,967 times
Default South Plainfield is OK, Plainfield is not all bad... cut us some slack...

Is there a place in South Plainfield close enough to "hear the sirens and gun shots from Plainfield?" because I live on Central Ave. in Plainfield, less than a 1/4 mile from South Central Ave. in South Plainfield and don't hear any of what goes in "those" parts of the city. I understand that its easy for those outside of Plainfield to judge based on what they may see in the news, but I'd gladly prefer to stay in my lovely house, in my lovely and safe neighborhood in Plainfield for several more years than purchase an overpriced house anywhere in New Jersey. Its much more cost effective to send my son to private school than to move right now. South Plainfield is great if you're just looking for somewhere to sleep. Their schools are safer than Plainfield, of course (and that's important), but the high school's average SAT scores are just barely out of the 900.

If you can afford Edison, go for it! The school system is better than all those mentioned.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 PM

33 posts, read 166,286 times
There is nothing wrong with SOUTH Plainfield. Regular Plainfield is poor and has crime. South Plainfield is comprable to Piscataway and Franklin Township. Edison is way too large and way too densly populated, which has lost a home town feeling because it has high turnover. the best town in Middlesex County is METUCHEN. its between Edison and South Plainfield. Exit 3 off 287. it's nicer, quieter, you can feel at home there, and still be in the midst of everything. They also have better schools.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:04 PM

119 posts, read 166,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
SP is a strictly blue collar town. A good place to get your first starter home. For some SP is all they need, for others they move on to more high profile towns.
As said, South Plainfield has been moving UP in recent years a lot! e.g. Traditions Condo/Townhouse from $300k (2br 2ba condo) to $450k (3br 2hba townhouses) has many IT professionals working at Wall St living there.

Look at Highland Apartment, 1br rent is $1,500 and 2br rent is $1,800; it is one of the luxuriest rental apartment with security gate in the area.

So, you know what I said, South Plainfield has tremendous change for recent years. If you have not visited South Plainfield for a while, you should. And maybe book at weekend getaway at brand new Hampton Inn at South Plainfield to start enjoying the 4* feeling guestrooms with wonderful complimentary breakfast, then check out Highland Apartment, and maybe go to Traditions Open Houses, and shop around on newly opened Target, and having a nice lunch at Bear Rock Cafe.

Don't forget to visit huge Hong Kong Supermarket in Saturday morning to get overwhelmed by thousands of Chinese customers, and maybe had a nice lunch at China Buffet also on Park Av that only a few blocks from Plainfield.

And, may be you want to visit the golf course as well, and drive around to see all the nice big houses built recent years ...

I went to Border at Watchung often, and on the way back take Rt 22 and Rt 531 and pass thru Plainfield all the way to South Plainfield after 10pm, never felt unsafe or any thing. In fact, you see quite a few new streets in Plainfield now Hispanic stores, and many Hispanic immigrants moving into town; they are very diligent and nice.

One night we saw a lady walking on road and gave her a ride home, she eventually took us to her home at Plainfield. She said she from Columbia and work at store near Piscataway, and one way took her 45 minutes to walk home usually. And when we asked her if she scary or is it safe? She said she has been walking for over 2 years...

Old 09-02-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl000 View Post
I recently saw a home on Irving St.( between Clinton and New Brunswick Ave.) and it is still South Plainfiled but close to Plainfield should i be concern raising 2 young girls?
Well, you should visit Plainfield Public Library to see how many families bring their daughters there because it has a very nice kids library. I have a friend who went over there with his 4 boys a lot.

Even Plainfield has changed a lot for past years. e.g. the train station has been totally renovated and expanded, it has DIRECT train to Newark. Townhouses near train station has been renovated, and many people working at NYC start moving in.

Look at the brand new JP Morgan Chase building at downtown, and many streets of new stores, you see the change.

And, fankly speaking, no matter where you live in South Plainfield, your young girls going to South Plainfield schools, not Plainfield ones, if that bothers you psychologically.

I just met a sweat waitress at Red Lion at South Plainfield the other day, and she went to Rutgers Univ and graduated from South Plainfield High School (there is only one public high school at South Plainfield). She was born and grew up in South Plainfield, and she said she love the town a lot!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminijinx View Post
There is nothing wrong with SOUTH Plainfield. Regular Plainfield is poor and has crime. South Plainfield is comprable to Piscataway and Franklin Township. Edison is way too large and way too densly populated, which has lost a home town feeling because it has high turnover. the best town in Middlesex County is METUCHEN. its between Edison and South Plainfield. Exit 3 off 287. it's nicer, quieter, you can feel at home there, and still be in the midst of everything. They also have better schools.
I would not disagree that Metuchen is a great town, but since it is small, surounded by Edison, the whole town has only about dozen condo/townhouses available. Last month, dozen condo/townhouses sold at Metuchen to, mostly IT professionals working at Wall St, who preferred to walk to NYC train station.

Metuchen Public Library is one of a few libraries in NJ that has lots of Chinese books, so you know huge Chinese population in the area.

Price wise, Metuchen is more expensive than many area of Edison, Piscataway, South Plainfield, and the property tax also high given the fact, it is small and fewer population need to support a bourough government and school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or