Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:41 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm engaged and counting days to my marriage. Fiancée will move soon. So I am not really looking for the buzz and nightlife. A quiet life would be fine for now I guess

I just need gyms and grocery stores and driving distance to some shops.

So now my top three criteria are close to a train, close to the gym and close to the shop. I can drive to the rest. The train is way too important. Coz I hear parking at stations is a 8 year wait and I was like wow, so park and ride is ruled out

Westchester county fits the bill a lot. But I am hearing really nice things about Jersey
And where do you think you'll park that car of yours when you're "home"? Is costly garage rental in the budget? In Hoboken or JC, you'll need to think about it.

New Jersey can be very, very nice... the problem is your 30-minute commute requirement. (And neither Hoboken or JC are "suburbs." From Manhattan, you don't get to the suburbs in 30 minutes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What ansky says is correct. We often see unrealistic commute "wants" on the Jersey forum. The fact of the matter is that a mile-wide river separates New Jersey from Manhattan, and there are a limited number of ways to cross that river, and there are a few hundred thousand people trying to do the same thing at approximately the same time every day.

So, for example, while the PATH ride I take from Hoboken Terminal to 23rd Street is about 14 minutes long, to say I have a 14-minute commute would be false. (Not even taking into consideration that I have an hour-and-twenty-minute NJ Transit train ride to Hoboken in the first place.) Once I get to 23rd Street, it takes me about 8 minutes to walk to my building. Unless you live at Hoboken terminal, which some people apparently do until they close the waiting room at 1 a.m., it will take you time to get to the terminal, to walk downstairs to the PATH platforms, where it is unlikely that a train will be waiting that will immediately close its doors and zoom away as soon as YOU step on.

The minimum commute, even for someone who lives in Hoboken or Jersey city, is probably 30 minutes.
Mighty Queen! You mean, they don't close the roads to prepare for your passing through?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 02:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm engaged and counting days to my marriage. Fiancée will move soon. So I am not really looking for the buzz and nightlife. A quiet life would be fine for now I guess

I just need gyms and grocery stores and driving distance to some shops.

So now my top three criteria are close to a train, close to the gym and close to the shop. I can drive to the rest. The train is way too important. Coz I hear parking at stations is a 8 year wait and I was like wow, so park and ride is ruled out

Westchester county fits the bill a lot. But I am hearing really nice things about Jersey
I wasn't thinking about buzz and nightlife, just a more reasonable commute.

Maybe Westchester would be your best option. Are you posting on that forum also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey